Skip to main content
Topic: Atwood 15K A/c unit (Read 2620 times) previous topic - next topic

Atwood 15K A/c unit

After reading several posts regarding A/C replacement, we decided to order the Atwood 15K unit.....ordered 3 times from various vendors and all came back with " Item has been discontinued" bummerr now what ?? Any recommendation for a similar performing unit with heat pump....all comments appreciated

Thx

Hans
Hans & Marjet
1995 U300 "Ben" (#4719)
3176B Cat,4060HD,Jake
SKP#139131
Motorcade#17579
2006 Honda Element (towed)

Re: Atwood 15K A/c unit

Reply #1
Did you try My 12 Volt Store?  That's where we got ours, at the best online price we could find.  Their web page shows them in stock.  We called to verify they actually had units in stock before we ordered them online.  Whole process went smooth - no troubles.

White 15026 + 15021 (Complete non-ducted assembly)

Atwood 15,000 BTU Non Ducted AC with Heat Pump
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #2
Did you try MY 12 Volt Store?  That's where we got ours, at the best online price we could find.  Their web page shows them in stock.

White 15026 + 15021 (Complete non-ducted assembly)

Atwood 15,000 BTU Non Ducted AC with Heat Pump
Chuck, I did, they called me back today and offered a black covered unit.....not for us. They also mentioned once the stock (black units) are depleted there will be no more.

H
Hans & Marjet
1995 U300 "Ben" (#4719)
3176B Cat,4060HD,Jake
SKP#139131
Motorcade#17579
2006 Honda Element (towed)

Reply #3
OK - sorry about that.  We have been totally happy with ours.

Did you consider getting a black unit and painting the cover white?

Reply #4
You may want to look at Furrion brand RV A/Cs.  They are new to the market, have 2 fan motors and a screw type compressor.  Advertise being quiet and lower amp draw.  Several dealers listed in Houston area in "Where to buy".

I would like to know what you find about them if you check them out.  Dumbmetic purchased Attwood and has killed them.  Very sorry to see a really good A/C go out of the market.
Rudy Legett
2003 U320 4010 ISM 450 hp
2001 U320 4220 ISM 450 hp
1995 U320 M11 400 hp
1990 Granvilla 300 hp 3208T
Aqua Hot Service Houston and Southeast Texas

Reply #5
Plus Chuck

You can purchase black one and install aftermarket white covers.  That was what was on my A/Cs before being replaced with Atwood's.
Rudy Legett
1995 U320 M11 400 hp

Reply #7
Dumbmetic purchased Attwood and has killed them.  Very sorry to see a really good A/C go out of the market.
Since this appears to be the (sad) case, I think some Forum member needs to step up, purchase a couple of the Furrion units, and give us a "hands on" real world test.  We need to know how these units will fit and work in our coaches, and if they are a suitable replacement for the aging OEM units still in use by many members.

Air Conditioning – furrion-global

We were lucky enough to grab a couple of the last remaining Atwood 15K heat pumps, and are very happy with their performance.  However, there is nothing ground breaking in their design.  I think it would be easy for other brands (such as Furrion) to produce units that work just as well, or even better.

I have very limited experience with RV air conditioners.  I've used the OEM Penguins that came with our coach, and the Atwood heat pumps.  To me, the biggest difference between them is how they move the air.  Penguins had one fan motor - Atwoods have 2 fan motors.  The Penguins were either ON, with fan and compressor running, or OFF.  The Atwood air circulation fan runs all the time, and the compressor (fan) cycles on and off as required.

So you get your choice of two kinds of noise.  With the Penguins, you have silence (and no air movement within the coach), or a loud jarring racket when the compressor and fan kick on to cool and move the air, and again when they kick off.  With the Atwoods, you have a constant low volume background fan noise all the time, and a small change in the noise quality (not volume) when the compressor cycles on and off.

To me, it seems more efficient to keep the air within the coach moving all the time.  It "feels" more comfortable to me.  There is less noticeable change in air temperature between "too hot" and "too cold" as the compressor goes on and off, because the air is kept constantly stirred up and "homogenized".  The Atwoods work more like the (heat pump) air conditioner in our house, and I like that.

But like I said, this is something any A/C manufacturer could incorporate into their design.  All they need is two separate fan motors.  It would work just as well with conventional air conditioners - doesn't need to be a heat pump.  We haven't yet had the opportunity to try the "heat" function on our Atwoods, so can't comment on whether or not that feature is worth extra money.

I really hope the Furrion units work out as well as the Atwoods.  Will be interested to hear the first Forum member user report!

Reply #8
I have 2 Atwood 15k sitting in the garage.. Guess I am glad I ordered when I did... I looked at Furrion but they didnt have the heat option and I use it from time to time.. So Atwood It was...

Worse case I would order the black and swap the covers.. order from the My12vstore and still be ahead on total costs from other stores.

Reply #9
Just ordered the Furrion, having it installed on the 28th.
The local dealer didn't know they were listed as a dealer on the Furrion website.
I'll report back my findings.
Frank & Connie Williams
1999 U320 '36
Build: 5466
MC: 18335

Reply #10
Frank,  I will be very interested in your findings.

They also state the compressor has a soft start feature, no current spike (70 amp) and hard hum as the compressor starts.

I put a soft start on my Attwoods.  You can not hear compressor start, instead of my clamp on amp meter reading nearly lock rotor current spike, it starts at 2 amps, then 6 and finally get to 14.

Thanks for giving one a go.
Rudy Legett
1995 U320 M11 400 hp

Reply #11
FYI, A member on another forum I belong to stated that his Atwood shuts down @ 105F ambient temperature. He checked into it and found that spec was in the fine print. He is pretty upset since he is from the Southwest  and occasionally runs into high ambient temps. Again, this is not from personal experience, but the poster quoted is well respected on the other forum..

TOM
SOB (Some Other Brand) division
1995 Wanderlodge WB40
8V92 :D

Reply #12
We live in Midland, TX.  Our coach sits unprotected in our driveway getting beat on by the merciless sun.  We are plugged in to 50A at our house, and have been running our new Atwood 15K heat pumps every day.  We like to keep the coach cool because our fridge is always loaded with food, the pantry is full of dry and canned goods, and the closets/bathroom cabinets are packed with personal items so we can hit the road on short notice.

I went out to check the coach yesterday when the official high temp here was 107 degrees.  With the Atwoods running on AUTO fan and COOL and thermostats set to 73 degrees, it was actually 75 degrees inside the coach measured on two different thermometers.  That is plenty cool for me.  I guess nobody told my units they were supposed to shut down.

Reply #13
Frank,  I will be very interested in your findings.

They also state the compressor has a soft start feature, no current spike (70 amp) and hard hum as the compressor starts.

I put a soft start on my Attwoods.  You can not hear compressor start, instead of my clamp on amp meter reading nearly lock rotor current spike, it starts at 2 amps, then 6 and finally get to 14.

Thanks for giving one a go.

Rudy that soft start feature has me following another rabbit trail...  just busy learning here cause I'm new, I had no idea of such.
The old AC we are replacing works great, you can hang meat back there. It's just so dang loud.
I question leaving the old unit at the repair shop for disposal or saving/reusing.

Inputs welcome
Frank & Connie Williams
1999 U320 '36
Build: 5466
MC: 18335

Reply #14

Rudy that soft start feature has me following another rabbit trail...  just busy learning here cause I'm new, I had now idea of such.
The old AC we are replacing works great, you can hang meat back there. It's just so dang loud.
I question leaving the old unit at the repair shop for disposal or saving/reusing.

Inputs welcome
I sold an old Mach I last year for $250 on Craigslist. Doubt a soft start would quiet down your old unit when running, it's advantage is in starting.
Jim C.
coachfree, previous 1997, 1999, 2000, and 2003 Foretravels.

Reply #15
I have Soft-Starts on my 3 Dometic A/C's and they are a quieter when starting up. Obviously that helps on occasional 30 amp service, but I wouldn't recommend the extra expense for fan noise. Its really too sad that Atwood sold out to Dometic. Watch out for Lippert industries - they seem to be buying out everybody.  .About Us | Lippert Components, Inc Jim

2002 U320 42'
Jim Frerichs
2002 U320 42'

Reply #16
AChttps://webmail.spectrum.net/index.php/mail/viewmessage/getattachment/uniqueId/50807/account/0/filenameOriginal/ACINFO.PNG/filenameModified/ACINFO.PNG?folder=SU5CT1g%3D

Reply #17
Rudy or Jim:

Out of curiosity, what exactly is involved in "putting soft start" on a rooftop A/C?  Lot of work?  Big expense?  Worthwhile?

Reply #18
Chuck,

Big expense, $265 ea.

Remove cover, remove electric box cover, insert wires through existing grommet, disconnect specified existing wire, make connections as described in instructions, replace covers, turn A/C on.  You are done.
Rudy Legett
1995 U320 M11 400 hp

Reply #21
Are there any other recommended sources/brands for "soft start" modules, besides Jim C's "really handy do-it-yerself" suggestion?

I have just enough electric knowledge to be dangerous...mostly to myself. 

Reply #22
Are there any other recommended sources/brands for "soft start" modules, besides Jim C's "really handy do-it-yerself" suggestion?

I have just enough electric knowledge to be dangerous...mostly to myself. 
EasyStart 364 (3-ton) Single Phase Soft Starter for Air Conditioners –...
There is a code that will get you 10 or 15% off, maybe Rudy remembers it.
OFF! Micro-Air EasyStart Discount Code RVGEEKS
Jim C.

Reply #23
I ordered one EasyStart 364 to give it a try.  Thanx to Rudy, Jim C. and Mike for the info and the coupon link (worth $25 off).  :thumbsup:

My front A/C is on our inverter circuit.  I asked AM Solar to wire it that way so I could play with trying to run it on inverter when driving down the road.  I didn't have any luck doing that with the old Penguin - as soon as the compressor tried to start the inverter would kick off due to overload.  So I gave up on the idea.

The same thing happens with the new Atwood unit.  Yesterday we lost power to our house, and to the coach 50A outlet.  A big main line circuit breaker or something blew and took out our whole neighborhood.  I had both Atwoods running at the time.  Soon as we lost power I went out to check the coach, and the inverter was off.  Not a good situation with our fully stocked Samsung fridge.

SO, I figure it won't hurt anything to try the soft start module on the front Atwood and see what happens.  If our Magnum MS2812 will tolerate the "softer" starting compressor draw and stay on line, that would be nice.  Would help during future power outages at the house, AND I could also try (again) running the front A/C on inverter when driving.  Be nice to have front A/C without running the generator.

We'll see how it goes when it arrives and I get it installed.

Reply #24
I ordered one EasyStart 364 to give it a try.  Thanx to Rudy, Jim C. and Mike for the info and the coupon link (worth $25 off).  :thumbsup:

My front A/C is on our inverter circuit.  I asked AM Solar to wire it that way so I could play with trying to run it on inverter when driving down the road.  I didn't have any luck doing that with the old Penguin - as soon as the compressor tried to start the inverter would kick off due to overload.  So I gave up on the idea.

The same thing happens with the new Atwood unit.  Yesterday we lost power to our house, and to the coach 50A outlet.  A big main line circuit breaker or something blew and took out our whole neighborhood.  I had both Atwoods running at the time.  Soon as we lost power I went out to check the coach, and the inverter was off.  Not a good situation with our fully stocked Samsung fridge.

SO, I figure it won't hurt anything to try the soft start module on the front Atwood and see what happens.  If our Magnum MS2812 will tolerate the "softer" starting compressor draw and stay on line, that would be nice.  Would help during future power outages at the house, AND I could also try (again) running the front A/C on inverter when driving.  Be nice to have front A/C without running the generator.

We'll see how it goes when it arrives and I get it installed.
You should do fine, my old prosine 2500 handled my 15000 btu penguin 2 with no problem. Just remember that's 150+ amps for one ac, plus fridge and whatever else you have running. I used an IR gun on all my cables and connections, when ac running and found some hot spots I had to redo. Keep eye on alternator. Even  with 80 amps from solar, it got to 180 f. trying to keep up, before I shut it down. I plan on going to 240 amp unit.
Jim C.