Skip to main content

Topic: Atwood 15K A/c unit (Read 1871 times) previous topic - next topic

Atwood 15K A/c unit
After reading several posts regarding A/C replacement, we decided to order the Atwood 15K unit.....ordered 3 times from various vendors and all came back with " Item has been discontinued" bummerr now what ?? Any recommendation for a similar...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Atwood 15K A/c unit
Reply #1
Did you try My 12 Volt Store?  That's where we got ours, at the best online price we could find.  Their web page shows them in stock.  We called to verify they actually had units in stock before we ordered them online.  Whole process went smooth...

Reply #2
Did you try MY 12 Volt Store?  That's where we got ours, at the best online price we could find.  Their web page shows them in stock.

White 15026 + 15021 (Complete non-ducted assembly)

Reply #3
OK - sorry about that.  We have been totally happy with ours.

Did you consider getting a black unit and painting the cover white?

• Rudy
  • [*]
  • Commercial Member
Reply #4
You may want to look at Furrion brand RV A/Cs.  They are new to the market, have 2 fan motors and a screw type compressor.  Advertise being quiet and lower amp draw.  Several dealers listed in Houston area in "Where to buy".

I would like to know...

• Rudy
  • [*]
  • Commercial Member
Reply #5
Plus Chuck

You can purchase black one and install aftermarket white covers.  That was what was on my A/Cs before being replaced with Atwood's.

Reply #6
This outfit says they have white replacement shells in stock:

Atwood Air Command Air Conditioner White Shroud | RV Parts Country

Reply #7
Dumbmetic purchased Attwood and has killed them.  Very sorry to see a really good A/C go out of the market.
Since this appears to be the (sad) case, I think some Forum member needs to step up,...

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
I have 2 Atwood 15k sitting in the garage.. Guess I am glad I ordered when I did... I looked at Furrion but they didnt have the heat option and I use it from time to time.. So Atwood It was...

Worse case I would order the black and swap the...

Reply #9
Just ordered the Furrion, having it installed on the 28th.
The local dealer didn't know they were listed as a dealer on the Furrion website.
I'll report back my findings.

• Rudy
  • [*]
  • Commercial Member
Reply #10
Frank,  I will be very interested in your findings.

They also state the compressor has a soft start feature, no current spike (70 amp) and hard hum as the compressor starts.

I put a soft start on my Attwoods.  You can not hear compressor start,...

Reply #11
FYI, A member on another forum I belong to stated that his Atwood shuts down @ 105F ambient temperature. He checked into it and found that spec was in the fine print. He is pretty upset since he is from the Southwest  and occasionally runs into...

Reply #12
We live in Midland, TX.  Our coach sits unprotected in our driveway getting beat on by the merciless sun.  We are plugged in to 50A at our house, and have been running our new Atwood 15K heat pumps every day.  We like to keep the coach cool...

Reply #13
Frank,  I will be very interested in your findings.

They also state the compressor has a soft start feature, no current spike (70 amp) and hard hum as the compressor starts.

I put a soft start on my...

• Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 09:34:23 am by Phranko

• jcus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #14

Rudy that soft start feature has me following another rabbit trail...  just busy learning here cause I'm new, I had now idea of such.
The old AC we are replacing works great, you can hang meat...

Reply #15
I have Soft-Starts on my 3 Dometic A/C's and they are a quieter when starting up. Obviously that helps on occasional 30 amp service, but I wouldn't recommend the extra expense for fan noise. Its really too sad that Atwood sold out to Dometic....

Reply #16
AChttps://webmail.spectrum.net/index.php/mail/viewmessage/getattachment/uniqueId/50807/account/0/filenameOriginal/ACINFO.PNG/filenameModified/ACINFO.PNG?folder=SU5CT1g%3D

Reply #17
Rudy or Jim:

Out of curiosity, what exactly is involved in "putting soft start" on a rooftop A/C?  Lot of work?  Big expense?  Worthwhile?

• Rudy
  • [*]
  • Commercial Member
Reply #18
Chuck,

Big expense, $265 ea.

Remove cover, remove electric box cover, insert wires through existing grommet, disconnect specified existing wire, make connections as described in instructions, replace covers, turn A/C on.  You are done.

• jcus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #19
If your are really handy, but you do have to supply a capacitor.
New EasyStartâ„¢ 366 Soft Starter for Single Phase Motors (Board-ONLY) -...

Reply #20
Big expense, $265 ea.

This has been well worth the $

Mike

Reply #21
Are there any other recommended sources/brands for "soft start" modules, besides Jim C's "really handy do-it-yerself" suggestion?

I have just enough electric knowledge to be dangerous...mostly to myself.  

• jcus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #22
Are there any other recommended sources/brands for "soft start" modules, besides Jim C's "really handy do-it-yerself" suggestion?

I have just enough electric knowledge to be...

Reply #23
I ordered one EasyStart 364 to give it a try.  Thanx to Rudy, Jim C. and Mike for the info and the coupon link (worth $25 off).  :thumbsup:

My front A/C is on our inverter circuit.  I asked AM Solar to wire it that way so I could play with trying to run it...

• jcus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #24
I ordered one EasyStart 364 to give it a try.  Thanx to Rudy, Jim C. and Mike for the info and the coupon link (worth $25 off).  :thumbsup:

My front A/C is on our inverter circuit.  I asked AM...