Skip to main content

Topic: Proper procedure to drain water from fuel filters (Read 370 times) previous topic - next topic

Proper procedure to drain water from fuel filters
Good evening everyone,
What is the proper way to drain water from the fuel filters?
I think I have two in the engine compartment,
There is one at the back of the coach on the right side and another under the coach also on the right side.

I think...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Proper procedure to drain water from fuel filters
Reply #1
The filter in the front compartment is for the aqua hot and there should be a filter for the generator located to the rear and outside of the generator box.

• Rudy
  • [*]
  • Commercial Member
Reply #2
Lt,  Open the drain on the water separating fuel filter and catch the draing fuel in a clear container, clear glass or clear plastic cup.  After draining 1/2 to 1 cup, stop the drain.  Then examine the clear cup to see if there is a line between...

Reply #3
Yup, you are not draining a particular volume.  If draining an ounce or two into a clear container shows only clear diesel, close it, you are done!

Both contaminants-- water and dirt are heavier than diesel and will be at the bottom of the filter...

Reply #4
You may have to let some air in somewhere to get anything to run out.

Reply #5
On my 1996 U320, the water/fuel separator is mounted on the frame behind the rear passenger tires. When the fuel level in the fuel tank is low (less than half), air will suck into the separator when the drain valve is opened. Air in the separator...

Reply #6
When the fuel level in the fuel tank is low (less than half), air will suck into the separator when the drain valve is opened.

This is true of any of the fuel filters/ models.  If the...

Reply #7
so will air getting into the filter affect anything as stated above?
do I need to loosen the fuel cap to let air in?

Reply #8
so will air getting into the filter affect anything as stated above?
do I need to loosen the fuel cap to let air in?
It should not be necessary to loosen a fuel cap because the fuel tank is vented.

Reply #9
Letting air into the filter will create a stumble the next time the engine is started.  Just don't drain too much, and be prepared to rev the engine on start-up until you clear the stumble.

Reply #10
If I suspect that there is air inside the fuel separator, I will suck it out rather than dealing with the engine stumbling.
I have a hand air pump hose (used to pump up bicycles tires) and attach the open end to a hand vacuum pump. Attach hose to...