Skip to main content
Topic: PowerTech 8kw generator radiator problem (Read 442 times) previous topic - next topic

PowerTech 8kw generator radiator problem

I am on the  road to Oregon and my generator radiator is leaking badly at the bottom near the drain plug. This is the 8kw unit circa late 1997 in a 1998 U270. It appears the bottom radiator support has broken loose as it is possible to push the radiator at the bottom a half inch toward street side. It appears that the radiator has enough movement while running to crack something at the bottom of the radiator. Anybody had one of these out and familiar with the lower support structure for the radiator? Fortunately dash air is working and I'm currently in high country where it's not too hot. Very glad to have added solar as we were able to keep batts up without generator for nine days of off grid camping with son and family in southwestern Colorado. Will be traveling back through Albuquerque so some hot days ahead.
1998 36 foot U270 Build No. 5328 WTFE, 900 watts solar, Victron controller, B2B, bat monitor, 600 AMPH lithium with 2018 Chevy Colorado toad, SKP #110239, Motorcade #17781, retired and full-timer since Dec. 2020. Part of RV family since 1963.

Re: PowerTech 8kw generator radiator problem

Reply #1
Had the same problem 2 years ago,limped home and removed the radiator and had a shop repair it.Redid the way it mounts,replaced the generator mounts and used 2 old mounts and a 4x4 to remount radiator,cut those 2 metal struts also.Also removed the whole generator and redid the insulation and new end bearing.Was in Denali with a funnel and a 5 gal pail every morning for an hour to charge batteries.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #2
Your mounts look different than mine but yes it is a known issue. Lots of posts on the forum about this. I have replaced my radiator several times over the past 9 years. I just bought new from powertech. Quite a few of us have separated the radiator from the engine to reduce vibration on the radiator.

Mark
The selected media item is not currently available.
Mark and Tanya
Milton , Florida
US Navy Veteran (DV)
1999 U270 Special 40' CAI , 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Reply #3
There have been write ups on new mounts. Some great pictures of frame cutting to decouple radiator/generator.

I haven't torn into mine yet. Been gathering parts.
So far have purchased.
Water fuel separator, napa small fuel filter, thermostat, water pump, fuel pump, fuel line, new fittings. The plan: remove radiator, rod it, see if I can increase core size. Mount in separate location from current chassis. New cap.  Then replace fuel lines. Installing water fuel separator, new fuel pump. These to be hard mounted on body of Rv not back onto  chassis.
Remove current control box to Ds compartment.
Have already replaced voltage regulator once in 90 days of ownership. At absurd price.
Generator Isuzu 1LB1, 3 cylinder diesel, 8k head.
Only voltage regulator purchased from PT.  Seems they don't return phone calls. Mark(#2) or Muther.
1999 U270 40 #5518
USN. USPS.

Reply #4
When I get back home I'll start by removing radiator to get better understanding of current mounting system. Also plan on new fuel lines and filter.
1998 36 foot U270 Build No. 5328 WTFE, 900 watts solar, Victron controller, B2B, bat monitor, 600 AMPH lithium with 2018 Chevy Colorado toad, SKP #110239, Motorcade #17781, retired and full-timer since Dec. 2020. Part of RV family since 1963.

Reply #5
Temperature on I 40 is going to make it tough without some help for your dash air..Ran that route a month ago and my dash air blows low to mid 30's and I never turned my front roof air off.. Bad time for this to happen to you..
Dub McBride 1996 270