Skip to main content
Topic: Speedhut GPS speedometer  (Read 464 times) previous topic - next topic

Speedhut GPS speedometer

We tried having the original speedometer repaired at MOT while we were there in January but didn't have any luck.  They kept throwing parts at it and it just wasn't working.  We were already up to $500 in parts plus all the labor so we decided to scrap the idea.  We have been using and app on the phone to monitor our speed and it was working well but it was cumbersome and we had no way of keeping track of our mileage.  I had looked into Speedhut a while back and was impressed by what they had to offer and the positive feedback they received. 

They have all different styles and sizes of gauges with different MPH ranges from 80-220+.  We went with the 3 3/8 diameter, 80mph gauge with standard black bezel to best match the original.  It took about 4 weeks for them to make and send to us and it took about 2 hours to install. 

The gauge is really high quality and fits perfectly into the original hole.  It was pretty easy to install using the instructions included.  The most difficult part was locating the correct wires behind the dash to connect all of the gauge wires to, but with a multimeter it wasn't too difficult.

The gauge has all kinds of cool features to it like: odometer, trip meter, clock, elevation,  direction, peak speed, 0-60 time and it even does 1/4 mile time for when we hit the drag strip.  We won't get to actually test it until we hit the road again but I have no worries about its performance.  We're both really happy with the way it looks and are glad we did it.  We went with the gauge that has built in turn signal and high beam indicators and the cost was $294 with tax.

I wanted to share this in case anyone else was having speedometer issues.  I feel like this is a great alternative to trying to repair the original.
Hannah and Tyler Phillips
1993 U280 Grand Villa AKA Pearl
Basement Air
Cummins 6CT8.3
Build Number 4196

Re: Speedhut GPS speedometer

Reply #1
Installation was pretty simple, I labeled all of the wires on the gauge before getting started and used a multimeter to locate the 12v constant, 12v on ignition, and the turn signal/high beam indicator wires.
Basement Air
Cummins 6CT8.3
Build Number 4196

Reply #2
Now you need to put new bulbs in the other gauges. The new odo looks great.

But what about when one is in a high walled canyon or dense forest? Granted I have not lost signal very often on the Garmin, But it can happen. 
The Garmin also has trip meters and such as well.
Jerry & Nona and Kimeru the cat that thinks she's a dog
1998 36' WTFE U320  #5314 Motorcade #17711
USAF 1975-1995
2019 Subaru Crosstrek 'toad'
2003 Subaru Legacy touring car
jerry Fincher | Flickr

Reply #3
I would have gone with the 220 one you never know. 

Reply #4
Did you or FOT contact VDO about fixing the original,  or did FOT just wing it on their own?

Just wondering. ...........the GPS looks like a good replacement.

Reply #5
Now you need to put new bulbs in the other gauges. The new odo looks great.

But what about when one is in a high walled canyon or dense forest? Granted I have not lost signal very often on the Garmin, But it can happen. 
The Garmin also has trip meters and such as well.
The only place we ever lost signal with the phone was driving through a tunnel.  When we get some drive time in we'll update.
Basement Air
Cummins 6CT8.3
Build Number 4196

Reply #6
Did you or FOT contact VDO about fixing the original,  or did FOT just wing it on their own?

Just wondering. ...........the GPS looks like a good replacement.
I don't think it was the speedometer itself, it was the parts on the other end.  We didn't contact FOT, it was all done at motorhomes of texas.
Basement Air
Cummins 6CT8.3
Build Number 4196

Reply #7
Are you able to put in your start mileage or does it start at Zero?
2014 ih45  (4th Foretravel owned)
 1997 36' U295 Sold in 2020, owned for 19 years
  U240 36' Sold to insurance company after melting in garage fire
    33' Foretravel on Dodge Chassis  Sold very long time ago

Reply #8
Did you check to see if a VDO gauge like the OE was available???

That is the normal upgrade/repair.
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #9
Are you able to put in your start mileage or does it start at Zero?
It starts at zero which is ok with us.  The milage on the other one 39,xxx so I'm guessing it's been a while since the it had worked haha.  We don't care what the milage was anyway, it's just nice to be able to keep track of how many we put on it.  It's kinda cool to me to be able to start from zero anyway. 
Basement Air
Cummins 6CT8.3
Build Number 4196

Reply #10
Did you check to see if a VDO gauge like the OE was available???

That is the normal upgrade/repair.
From what the guys at MOT said, the OE gauge was working as it should be.  It was not receiving the proper signal from downstream somewhere.  I didn't care to mess with it anymore, this was a simple solution for our issue.  There was no worrying about signal generators or noise or corroded wiring, or any other number of possible issues.  It might not be OEM but it'll work for us. :)
Basement Air
Cummins 6CT8.3
Build Number 4196

Reply #11
Thinking out of the box can get you out of the box.
Thanks for sharing your solution.
1998 36 foot U270 Build No. 5328 WTFE, 900 watts solar, Victron controller, B2B, bat monitor, 600 AMPH lithium with 2018 Chevy Colorado toad, SKP #110239, Motorcade #17781, retired and full-timer since Dec. 2020. Part of RV family since 1963.

Reply #12
I bought the same speedometer a couple years ago for the same reason and its been great.