Skip to main content

Topic: Battery upgrade  (Read 355 times) previous topic - next topic

Battery upgrade
Roger and I completed my battery upgrade from my 2- 6 year old 8d's to his gently experienced L-16 AGM's from Fullriver.  They are 6 volt batteries with 415 ah each giving me 830 ah total.  My old batteries were 225 ah each so I had 450 ah when...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Battery upgrade
Reply #1
Is that 830 amp hours number for the L-16 batteries based on the A.H.@ 20 Hrs (the number on the battery sticker)?

In other words, is your actual usable capacity at 50% SOC half that number (415 A.H.)

Either way, twice as much is TWICE AS MUCH and...

• hdff
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
Nice!  Is this just battery power or do you have solar?

Reply #3
I have 500 watts of solar on top.  We will see how this does with our 12 volt refrigerator compressor, but the 500 watts worked well until our absorption refrigerator failed.  Since we like to boondocks I decided to go with the 12 volt conversion...

Reply #4
Are there 4 batteries there 2 parallel and 2 series? The picture show something red in the back and I assume it is another pair of batterires.

Reply #5
Since we like to boondocks I decided to go with the 12 volt conversion from JC Refrigeration and upgrade my batteries.

Unless there isn't room in your coach for a Samsung residential...

Reply #6
We have a 36 ft U-270- small 2 door refrigerator.
I like the idea of using the 12 volt compressor and this unit was covered by warranty, so a no brainer for me.  The right answer is the one that makes the most sense based on costs, space...

Reply #7
I have 500 watts of solar on top.  We will see how this does with our 12 volt refrigerator compressor, but the 500 watts worked well until our absorption refrigerator failed.  Since we like...

Reply #8
6v L16 DC400-6 FullRivers are 415 amp hrs each at 20 hr discharge. Wired in series to get 12v and parallel to get 830 amp hrs total.

A custom rack uses 2/3 of the space of 2 8Ds.  There is room for 6 of the L16s or you could use the DC335-6...

• Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 02:38:09 pm by Roger & Susan in Home2

Reply #9
.never sold a used battery.  Interesting.  Either by itself or in a coach. Could be a great deal.   What is your alternators output?  What about the inverter? 

I have learned to test every battery to measure its actual  capacity as these all vary...

Reply #10
How much height clearance do you need to use these L16's? My battery area on my 96 U295 has a closed storage above the 8d batts that contains the 12 compressor and a few other things. That may be my limitation.

Reply #11
How much height clearance do you need to use these L16's?
Google?...it's pretty easy to look this stuff up...

DC400-6 | Fullriver Battery

DC335-6 | Fullriver Battery

Reply #12
My battery bay in a U320 is about 4" narrower than Ted's U270 bay.  So in his the batteries are aligned NS with room to spare.  In mine they were aligned EW, three across the back and one in front (in the LP tank bay)
Racks are different. 

If you...