Skip to main content
Topic: Searching for the door switch wire.. C11 (Read 462 times) previous topic - next topic

Searching for the door switch wire.. C11

I'm wanting to do the step mod talked about on beamalarm, to keep the step up except when the door is open. I understand what to do I'm just weak on electrical schematics. I'm trying to locate the C11 wire to splice in a switch. Has anyone done this mod and can give me a general idea on where to look for the wire. I assume it's behind the panel in front of the passenger seat with the million other wires. Also how will I know it's the C11 wire, how is it marked on the wire. This is on my 2000 U320

Thanks
Keith
The selected media item is not currently available.Keith & Jo
2003 U320T 4025 PBBS Designer series
Build 6203    Cummins 500hp
2000 U320 4010 WTFE / Build 5762 —Sold—
Motorcade #18070   
Pasadena, Texas
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara-Sunset Orange pearl coat
Don't argue with a fool, people watching might not be able to tell the difference.

Re: Searching for the door switch wire.. C11

Reply #1
...how will I know it's the C11 wire, how is it marked on the wire.
On the wire there will be a white paper tag that says "C11".

:dance:

Just kidding!  I actually have no idea where that wire is on your coach.

Do you have a switch or sensor that tells the step actuator when the door is open?  If you can access the back of that switch, you can tap into the yellow C11 wire at that point, OR from there use a circuit tracing tool to locate the wire in the rat's nest behind the passenger kick panel.

I found my yellow wire running up the side of the door frame to the push button sensor, but yours is probably entirely different.

GV (Unihome) Air Step Mod
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #2
I'm wanting to do the step mod talked about on beamalarm, to keep the step up except when the door is open. I understand what to do I'm just weak on electrical schematics. I'm trying to locate the C11 wire to splice in a switch. Has anyone done this mod and can give me a general idea on where to look for the wire. I assume it's behind the panel in front of the passenger seat with the million other wires. Also how will I know it's the C11 wire, how is it marked on the wire. This is on my 2000 U320

Thanks
Keith
I will look where Rance hooked up the switch on my coach. It should be similar to yours.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #4
Keith, I did what you're wanting to do about 3 years ago and it required a diode to keep from back-feeding the ignition switch.

Red Tractor helped me by drawing a diagram but I no longer have it.  I do however have a few of the diodes left over, so if you want I can send you one.  PM me if you're interested.
Interesting Rance didn't add a diode in my step conversion. I don't have any lights or gauges showing, using the switch.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #5
Beam alarm didn't show a diode using a Single pole double throw switch so we'll see how it goes... I just need to find that C11 wire......

Keith
Motorcade #18070   
Pasadena, Texas
Don't argue with a fool, people watching might not be able to tell the difference.

Reply #6
All of the OEM wires have the wire number printed on the wire about every 8 inches or so.  Sometimes it is hard to see in the dirt.

Reply #7
I would assume that the diode will prevent you from feeding 12v back to the ignition.  You can  use one of the Roadmaster diodes that are used on the tail light.  You have two inputs and one output.  Use one input for the ignition 12v and one input for the switched 12v. The output will go to your magnetic switch.
John M.
Diode
790 Roadmaster Diode Single
John & Carm Morales

"We travel not to go anywhere, but to just go.  We travel for travel's sake.  Our great desire is to move."

Reply #8

Get 20 for less.  These work for this kind of function.
Amazon.com: Install Bay Diodes 3 Amp 20 Pack- D3: Car Electronics

Many times Rance uses two side by side for more capacity or redundance.

Reply #9
Interesting Rance didn't add a diode in my step conversion. I don't have any lights or gauges showing, using the switch.

I begged off on the diode when I realized this thread concerns air steps which mine aren't.  May be same wiring but I'm not sure about it.

Reply #10
Keith,
  Behind that panel in front of the pax seat are a bunch of circuit breakers. Each one has a number just below it. That number corresponds to the number on the big 12 volt schematic. The schematic indicates what is being controlled and the amperage rating of the circuit breaker along with the number of the wire attached to it. For example, on my coach #12 circuit breaker is attached to wire #C11. I'm attaching two photos. One is a portion of the schematic for my coach and the other the applicable portion of my panel showing #12. You can see the C11 label.
jor

Reply #11
Thanks jor that is exactly what I was looking for. I get the coach back from the shop today and I'll check it out.....  thanks to everyone else for the input

Keith
Motorcade #18070   
Pasadena, Texas