Skip to main content

Topic: Fuel shutoff 1996 c 8.3 (Read 235 times) previous topic - next topic

Fuel shutoff 1996 c 8.3
Just looking for a little help /advice on changing the fuel shutoff solenoid on a 1996 C 8.3 in a U-270. It started with slow to turn off and now a issue with low power just a hit miss now but know it will leave me stranded somewhere. Might as...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Fuel shutoff 1996 c 8.3
Reply #1
Do you have the mechanical fuel shutoff solenoid mounted next to the throttle cable bracket right near the injection pump?  See photo below.

If you DON'T, then I can't help you.

If you DO, link below takes you to a post where there is two more...

Reply #2
Failing fuel shutoff solenoid will never leave you stranded...   Like us and others, just cable tie the solenoid up to run and cut the cable tie and pull the solenoid down to shut off. You could get by for a long time with this temporary repair....

Reply #3
Google "Larry's" and go to the site that has similar stuff. Get the larger solenoid style for about $100.00 and you're good to go. I had trouble leaning over the edge of the bed so had my ten-year-old grandson do the work. Easy-Peasy! Amazon.com:...

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
Kudos to the grandson.

Reply #5
I have changed 2 solenoids the first one the pull in winding was flaky. sometimes it would work and other times wouldn't. When it didn't work I would turn the key one and go under the bed and pull the solenoid up and the holed in winding held it...

Reply #6
Thanks everyone for all the help , you guys make it easy with all the vast amount of brain power on here. I pulled the old one off it was crusty ,no boot left ready to be changed , ordered a new one from Larry B's should be here Monday. Meanwhile...

Reply #7
Tonka, I have had good luck with the Larry B solenoid, although once it did what you described, slow to turn off and not pull up.  Linkage needed some lubricating.  Rear mounted engines collect more dirt than front mounted.