Skip to main content
Topic: I did a dumb thing.... (Read 952 times) previous topic - next topic

I did a dumb thing....

Not the first time, and certainly not the last time...
Generator was way short of coolant, so mixed some up and filled the radiator. The proceeded to fill what I though was the overflow half way...
Yeah, you guessed it, I put it in the windshield washer reservoir. Ouch. It was late after a long, very hot day. But still, I feel dumb.
Will have to drain it out now and clean it out, then refill.

What really irked me though was I didn't know the gen coolant was that low. Should have been checking it, but with it not in use, didn't.
Have to get into a cycle of frequent checks for this stuff.
Bob
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
1500 Watts Solar 600 amp Victron lithium
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Re: I did a dumb thing....

Reply #1
Don't feel to bad. It comes with age. Don't ask me how I know.
1995 U320 40', 2013 chevy sonic toad, my real love are corvettes have owned 30

Reply #2
I think your right. Something comes with age but I cant remember what it is.
Rick and Wendy Green
1998 U270 3600 The Coach Formerly known as Princess
Build# 5336
2007 Ford Explorer

Reply #3
When I was a young man. There was, Hey! Hold my beer and watch this kind of stupid. Now it's just, Where the hell did I set my beer down at stupidity.

To be fair to all of us young and old. To do a full & proper pre-flight on these coaches. One needs an aircraft style printed checklist so you don't miss anything.

We invariably miss packing/checking something on every trip. To wit, Just did a trip to Suavie Island, Oregon. Where upon arriving. I discovered that I left the door key/remote at home.
I always keep the "ignition" key separate as I don't like the weight nor dangley stuff hitting my knee or the dash panel.
Jerry & Nona and Kimeru the cat that thinks she's a dog
1998 36' WTFE U320  #5314 Motorcade #17711
USAF 1975-1995
2019 Subaru Crosstrek 'toad'
2003 Subaru Legacy touring car
jerry Fincher | Flickr

Reply #4
Our spare coach fob lives in the console of the Wrangler for that very reason.  (Don't ask why we do that now.)
Rick & Rhonda
2003 U320 4220  Build #6199
Was
91 36' GV 300 Caterpillar, 92 40' U280 300 Cummins, 97 36' U295 300 Cummins, 2002
U320 450 Cummins
(Guess we're hooked)

The selected media item is not currently available.

Reply #5
Common saying by Winter Texans: "Oh, it must be up home" or something to that effect. :))
Nitehawk,  Demolition Lady, & our NEW master, Zippy the speeding BB cat.
1989 Grand Villa 36' ORED
Oshkosh chassis, 8.2 DD V8
2006 Saturn Vue AWD

Reply #6
I've got 2 full sets of every key I could possibly need in the floor safe. Along with copies of passports, concealed carry permits, insurance papers, and registration. Oh, and 200 rounds for whatever the DW and I are carrying on this trip.
The Starship- 1990 Grandvilla Unihome U300 40ft
6V92 Detroit Diesel w/ 4 spd Allison w/ retarder. Build# 3575 , Foretravel# 17895
The Shuttlecraft- 2015 Ford Explorer
Steve ( N6EKV ) & Lori ( N6JTD ) Faries  w/ Marlee our precious pup.
Patterson CA.

Reply #7
I've got 2 full sets of every key I could possibly need in the floor safe. Along with copies of passports, concealed carry permits, insurance papers, and registration. Oh, and 200 rounds for whatever the DW and I are carrying on this trip.

That's a big safe.. mine holds air and that's about it

Reply #8
That's a big safe.. mine holds air and that's about it
I had money which I could put into a safe. So I bought one that happened to be surrounded by a motor home. So our safe only has air in it now.
Jerry & Nona and Kimeru the cat that thinks she's a dog
1998 36' WTFE U320  #5314 Motorcade #17711
USAF 1975-1995
2019 Subaru Crosstrek 'toad'
2003 Subaru Legacy touring car
jerry Fincher | Flickr

Reply #9
Fill it with pennies? Problem solved.
Old Phart Phred, EIEIO
89 GV ored 36' #3405 300 hp cat 3208 ATAAC side radiator, mountain tamer exhaust brake

Reply #10
Oh, and 200 rounds for whatever the DW and I are carrying on this trip.

Goes without saying I guess, but I'll say it anyway.  Don't forget about the ammo when doing a border crossing, especially Mexico.  You have to buy your way out of prison there and it ain't cheap.  A forgotten round that rolled under the seat has tripped up more than one Texan.

"Not so  long ago we were a nation of risk takers, riding five million pounds of  thrust straight into space."  Joe Gresh
Chuck Pearson
1996 U295
2018 Can Am X3 TurboRS

Reply #11
I had money which I could put into a safe. So I bought one that happened to be surrounded by a motor home. So our safe only has air in it now.

I resemble that remark!

Reply #12
Bob, when the antifreeze in my Kubota was very low, I checked the cap pressure which was also very low, so steam was escaping. A new cap fixed that issue.
Wyatt
96 U320 40 WTFE, build 4943
84 Toyota Supra towd
2015 Jeep Wrangler towd
Victoria, BC, Canada