Skip to main content

Topic: Mobile Medical U320  (Read 559 times) previous topic - next topic

Mobile Medical U320
Here me out. Help me with whatever experience you have.

We show horses. We live debt free but aren't rich. We have run out of luck in the $20k diesel pick up market. We're ready to move back to a mechanical engine. But we need pulling power and...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Mobile Medical U320
Reply #1
So many variables in your question it is hard to gather them all up for rational analysis.

One of my first questions:  When you arrive where you are going with your horses, do you need a way to get around?  With a truck & trailer combo, after you...

Reply #2
I'm sure the mechanical experts will chime in soon.

If it's a 94 is wouldn't be a 320, those were introduced in 95.

Lots of great info here:

Foretravel History

Good luck,

Reply #3
If this is the FT in Scott, Pulaski Co., AR, you better be a great mechanic. We decided to actually venture out, to see it. Yes, the engine purrs. The current owner stated that he actually drove it in, to its current resting place. Both hubs were...

Reply #4
Sorry about the late night rambling of my post. I have a lot racing through my mind over this.

Not always. But usually.

In Florida we have to bring two trailers anyway because we have too many horses for just one. So I'll have my other F250.

At...

Reply #5
I'm sure the mechanical experts will chime in soon.

If it's a 94 is wouldn't be a 320, those were introduced in 95.

Lots of great info here:

Foretravel History

Good luck,

Yes. I actually...

Reply #6
Nothing good can come of this - you would be better off finding a  95-99 36' non slide unit that has been well cared for and use that as your cost to acquire budget with $10K as a realistic 1st year DIY maintenance number (assuming tires,...

Reply #7
One of the things I have learned after owning my 98 Foretravel for about 4 years.  If you have any budget constraints you probably shouldn't buy a motorhome.  Even well maintained coaches will cost multiple thousands of dollars to update and maintain

• Texhub
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #8
I am new to owning a Ft. 1999 U270 40ft. Tires $3,000.
Transmission $7,000
8 airbags $700.
Generator parts so far $800.00 and it's not currently usable. Which means no ac from roof, no battery charging, no usage of any 120 equipment if unable to...

Reply #9
We just paid $700 for FOUR airbags and they were Goodyears at a great price.
Sounds like you are on a tight budget for something that is not dissimilar to owning a boat, it can eat up money, even a really nice on in good shape can gobble up...

• bigdog
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
How much does that 22' trailer maxed out full of horse and tack weigh? A 36Ft U-320 with the 450HP Cummings can pull most any load. But it's not the power that is the issue. It's the chassis loading and weight transfer that limits a single rear...

Reply #11
 I have a customer that just got hospitalized with  Stage 4 cancer shortly after getting his OTR Mack Tractor  set up with all new brakes, clutch and  tires.   It sits across the street, he sits  home  in bed so far.   He wants 13K for it. It...

Reply #12
How much does that 22' trailer maxed out full of horse and tack weigh? A 36Ft U-320 with the 450HP Cummings can pull most any load. But it's not the power that is the issue. It's the chassis...

• kb0zke
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #13
Welcome to the forum. You've already gotten a taste of the wealth of help available here.

Walking away from this particular unit seems like a pretty good idea. You've gotten some great ideas here, and I think that you may be more or less on the...

Reply #14
From taking on many projects like thus as a decent DYIer I would say you are well short on the build budget for a fully functional rig. Everything ended up costing more money and time than expected. My fixer upper wasn't in the shape you describe...

Reply #15
Coming from both an RVer and a horse show perspective...

Given the need for hauling AND something (relatively) easy to maintain, stay away from a diesel pusher.  Go with something that has an easy-to-access engine up front where you can take it to...

Reply #16
I'm a very qualified technician. I've been integrating new engines into old vehicles for over a decade.

I work on my own vehicles and found these busses to look way easier to work on than my diesel pick up trucks.

Just a little perspective there....

• bigdog
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #17
As much as 10k lbs. This is what lead me to such a large bus. This particular unit is listed with a 32k GVRW. I don't actually know the curb weight. I would think it's less than 20k lbs....

Reply #18
I have decided to pass on this idea.

Thanks

Reply #19
I have decided to pass on this idea.

Thanks
A wise decision I believe, given our experience.

Roland

Reply #20
I think in the long run you'll be very thankful you passed. However--if you are seriously considering a motorhome keep searching for a Foretravel. It may take a while, but there are some really great ones out there!

Reply #21
There are some coaches for sale in the classified section of this forum.