Skip to main content

Topic: Why did Tom change fuel filters (split from Re: New Diesel Fuel Discount Card Program) (Read 516 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from New Diesel Fuel Disco...

Why did Tom change fuel filters (split from Re: New Diesel Fuel Discount Card Program)
The first time I filled up an nearly empty tank with unlabeled B20, it cost me two fuel filter changes to get back to normal.
What, exactly, was being filtered out of the fuel that caused you...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Why did Tom change fuel filters (split from Re: New Diesel Fuel Discount Card Program)
Reply #1
What, exactly, was being filtered out of the fuel that caused you to have to change two fuel filters?

Otherwise harmless dirt and sludge, maybe some algae.  This was 7 years ago, the...

Re: Why did Tom change fuel filters (split from Re: New Diesel Fuel Discount Card Program)
Reply #2

My next task is to find which stations pump pure diesel or B5.  Love's website shows some stations are pumping pure diesel, some B5, some B10, some B15, and some B19 (they promise less than...

• jcus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
Biodiesel Questions and Answers | Cummins Inc.
Sometimes you can't avoid B20 but not my preference.

Reply #4
I'm not "afraid" of B20, but I don't wish to have clogged filters again on a trip.  I've slightly revised my plan for GV and Nac to minimize the amount of Biodiesel in the tank. At no time should the tank contain 10% biodiesel. I feel okay with...

Reply #5
Biodiesel Questions and Answers | Cummins Inc.
Sometimes you can't avoid B20 but not my preference.

Don't that beat all.  My ISL was built before 2007.  Unless I'm reading it wrong, I need to...

Reply #6
Don't that beat all.  My ISL was built before 2007.  Unless I'm reading it wrong, I need to avoid B20 like the plague.

Keep in mind that their list probably means that they have tested those...

• jcus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
Compatibility of Biodiesel with Petroleum Diesel Engines
Probably more a problem for truckers that drive many miles. Not so much for RVers that change their oil more often.
I know Mercedes Benz recommends keeping biodiesel to 5% or less when...

Reply #8
What next?

Reply #9
What next?

This shouldn't be an issue now that I have the fuel card, but I've always avoided stations that look like low volume. I don't want old diesel going into my tank.

Also a...

Reply #10
If you end up in NAC give Keith Risch a call and get your fuel polished. It cleans everything out of the tank.

Reply #11
If you end up in NAC give Keith Risch a call and get your fuel polished. It cleans everything out of the tank.

Good idea. Then no clogged filters from B20.

Reply #12
Compatibility of Biodiesel with Petroleum Diesel Engines
Probably more a problem for truckers that drive many miles. Not so much for RVers that change their oil more often.
I know Mercedes Benz...

Reply #13

I've been thinking about this. It's probably not necessary.

It was some...

Reply #14
Based on my experience you should be fine even with only B20 in your tank. It sounds as if your system is clean by now.

Reply #15
10-12 years ago when diesel prices went way up, I started buying B100 fuel from a local soydiesel plant which was cheaper AND made from a crop that I grow. I used it in my farm equipment, semi tractors, and Duramax pickup.  No filter plugging...

Reply #16
I use and prefer B20 whenever I can get it but most stations around us have B5. I have even used B100 with no ill effects. Less pollution is a big thing in the Sacramento Valley. Every little bit helps until California only sells electric...

• jcus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #17
I use and prefer B20 whenever I can get it but most stations around us have B5. I have even used B100 with no ill effects. Less pollution is a big thing in the Sacramento...

Reply #18
Navistar recommends the following :

Storage tanks should be thoroughly cleaned of residue and microbial growth before storing biodiesel fuel and tanks should be inspected periodically for cleanliness. Residue, water or microbial growth will...

Reply #19
I use bio-diesel all the time in our U300 and 300SD. I've never done any of the above other than Stanadyne diesel fuel treatment and while I did install a new filter when we purchased the U300 going on 12 years ago, I've never replaced it but I...

Reply #20
while I did install a new filter when we purchased the U300 going on 12 years ago, I've never replaced it but I check the primary sight plastic bowl.
Pierce

:o Pierce!  I must be...

Reply #21
:o Pierce!  I must be reading this wrong........ 12 years on a fuel filter?
your pull in our chain  ;D
Nope, it's the one I installed before heading home from Love Valley, NC. I do check the...