Skip to main content

Topic: Battery Cables (Read 397 times) previous topic - next topic

• GleamB
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Battery Cables
I wanted to "clean up" the starter batteries. I noticed that the positive/negative cables BOTH go into the first battery. According to what I have read here, on past forums, this is a no no. I would like to switch the negative front to back. I...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Battery Cables
Reply #1
I wanted to "clean up" the starter batteries. I noticed that the positive/negative cables BOTH go into the first battery. According to what I have read here, on past forums, this is a no no. I...

Reply #2
Is either the negative cable or positive cable long enough to flip one around?  That should accomplish the same thing with positive on one end and negative on the other.  Or turn the batteries around then maybe one is long enough?

Reply #3
That negative cable looks long enough that you may be able to turn it around.
JohnM.

Reply #4
I wanted to "clean up" the starter batteries. I noticed that the positive/negative cables BOTH go into the first battery. According to what I have read here, on past forums, this is a no no.

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
Cant you put the negative to a bus bar then add another cable? Would it be ok to attach the cable to the frame and then the frame the battery?

Reply #6
The cables from the + and - ends of the connections between your batteries should go to a + and - post inside of your batteries towards the center of the coach.  If they are original cables the should be long enough to go to the opposite corners...

• Twig
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
Your coach has been like that for 18 years. I'm curious as to why you would wanna change? Asking for a friend.

Reply #8
Twig, those are not the original batteries in Glen;'s coach or the originally wiring.

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #9
Twig, those are not the original batteries in Glen;'s coach or the originally wiring.
Cmon now.. how would his friend know that? ;)  lol

Back to the grounds.. wouldnt a bus bar...

Reply #10
This is more of a little no no (less than ideal) than a big NO NO (won't work). If the engine starts ok, you can live with it.

More important is good clean connections.

I would first try removing the battery end of the negative cable and seeing...

• GleamB
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #11
Your coach has been like that for 18 years. I'm curious as to why you would wanna change? Asking for a friend.

As I first noted, I had read, on this forum, that it is a bad idea to have the pos...

Reply #12
No matter how it's wired, a failure of one battery will screw up the other two.

When I first got my coach, I noticed the start batteries wouldn't start without using the boost switch if the coach had been sitting for a few days.

I disconnected...

Reply #13
In a list of things to do that make you feel good but actually don't solve any problem, rewiring your battery cables would be at or near the top.

I work in an industry that has HUGE battery banks with hundreds of batteries wired together in series...

Reply #14
When I was running cable for my 10 battery - 6V battery bank is was concerned about getting all the cable lengths equal.
During a conversation with Alan at Bay Marine I expressed my concerns.
He told me that exact equal length was NOT needed. The...