Skip to main content

Topic: Attwood AC install (Read 839 times) previous topic - next topic

Attwood AC install
So started the new ac install today. Was just me so I was limited in what I could do. First got up and pressure cleaned to roof, lifting up some of the solar panels (they are removable and can be tilted) and what  a bunch of junk under there....

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.
  • Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 09:38:04 am by Bob and Julie

Re: Attwood AC install
Reply #1
After watching the installation of my units, I would recommend leaving the "shells" off the units while they are being moved up on the roof and into position.  Leaving covers off makes them less bulky, allows more places to grab on to, and...

Reply #2
His photos have been doing that lately, no image.

• jor
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
I'm not seeing the photos in your first post for some reason
Same here. Just a minus sign instead. Really interested in the Atwood install as I'll be doing mine when we get back from our next trip.
jor

Reply #4
I've been using the insert photo by url. I guess only I can see it. I apologize and will correct as soon as I can....guess I will have to go back to the old way...

Reply #5
Let's try this

Reply #6
When I installed my units I placed a ladder at a shallow angle and pushed the A/C units a head of me up the ladder, Not too bad a job.

"After that they easily pushed up, but I left them on till tomorrow when I can get my 2 boys to help."

When I...

• Texhub
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #7
Pictures  are now are visible!   yes!

Old Ac will have scrap value, even after flight.

• jor
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
pushed the A/C units a head of me up the ladder

Lon,
  I was thinking about doing it that way too. One question: How did you get it over the top of the ladder without kind of dumping it onto the roof? I was thinking I might pull it up instead...

Reply #9
Okay so a acs are on the roof now and I'm hooking up wiring on the front one. Got the 12 volt and the 120 volt wiring hooked up no problem but now I'm coming to the thermostat. If I use the Atwood thermostat which I want to do there is a miss...

Reply #10
So how we got them down? I slid them down a ladder with a rope attached to it. Those were the old penguin low profile ones I believe. to get the new ones out we did reverse we tied a rope around the AC unit and slid up the ladder we put a box...

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #11
What size are they? My pans were different on the 15k I received

Reply #12
Lon,
  I was thinking about doing it that way too. One question: How did you get it over the top of the ladder without kind of dumping it onto the roof? I was thinking I might pull it up instead...

• nitehawk
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #13
When I replaced the rear AC on our '89 I did it somewhat similar. I used my 14' extension ladder fully extended and leaning so just the top end was slightly above the edge of the roof. I moved my 8' stepladder up close to the coach and under the...

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #14
when I did the 5th wheel... I pulled my truck next to the slide and lifted the ac on top of it..climbed on the roof and lifted it to  the spot for the install.. younger and healthier then..

Reply #15
Lon,

Reply #16
What size are they? My pans were different on the 15k I received
Didn't measure it but comparing it to the dometic unit it is a bit smaller and the hole  doesn't line up exactly  to the hole...

Reply #17
When I replaced the rear AC on our '89 I did it somewhat similar. I used my 14' extension ladder fully extended and leaning so just the top end was slightly above the edge of the roof. I...

• nitehawk
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #18
Thanks, Bob. There are times when I am not your average idiot....I'm an above average idiot. Just ask my wife!! :))  :))

Reply #19
Putting in the easy start was not to bad on this unit. There is a pdf for the attwood on their site.
I put the unit on the other side, ran the wire through the unit, slipped it in the same hole the compressor wire bundle went through, and attached...

• nitehawk
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #20
I should mention that I was chasing a leak somewhere up top this spring. So one of the things I did was replace the foam gaskets under both ACs. But, being paranoid because of my so far unlocated leak, I put the foam gaskets with the "sticky"...

Reply #21
So I removed the dometic thermostat and put in the attwood. I spliced the wires together. Now I get the fan in the dash air running but not the AC fan, although it did come on once.
HELP?
Now I remember that the thermostat controlled both front...

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #22
So I removed the dometic thermostat and put in the attwood. I spliced the wires together. Now I get the fan in the dash air running but not the AC fan, although it did come on once.

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #23
Dash air is Aquahot? the atwood needs to be separate of the rear air.  Rear will be master now I would believe.. but the talking came through the front ac for both... So look at the rear as...

Reply #24
David I swapped both out as well. I took pics of both before I disconnected them but now am scratching my head about it. Didn't think of the aqua hot. When I select fan only that fan comes on, not the ac unit. I haven't hooked up the rear yet....