Skip to main content
Topic: Attwood AC install (Read 2349 times) previous topic - next topic

Attwood AC install

So started the new ac install today. Was just me so I was limited in what I could do. First got up and pressure cleaned to roof, lifting up some of the solar panels (they are removable and can be tilted) and what  a bunch of junk under there. Algae, leaves, twigs dirt, you name it...  Next I removed the interior covers and the bolts holding the units on. Disconnected the power and thermostat wiring, and the 12 volt too on both units. After that they easily pushed up, but I left them on till tomorrow when I can get my 2 boys to help.
Next I installed the soft start unit on the front AC. Almost miswired one wire, but figured it out and now all is good. Still have to secure it to the ac unit. I couldn't find my 3M VHB tape.. have to look again.  At this time only going to put one on that unit since it can run off the inverter. I might get another one for the rear in the future. Will see how it goes.
I am impressed with the Attwood build. Seems like quality units. Not to heavy, but difficult for one person to move it around.
Her are some pics I took today. Should have taken more after the soft start was wired in. But didn't.

[
One thing I have to say... after watching a bunch of videos of guys with other brands of RV's install AC units in their  RV's and working with Foretravel, I am glad I have a well built coach like this. 20 years old, and the quality is there. Don't know about other brands since this is the only one I have owned, but it is true that these coaches are built very well.  I will post more as the work progresses. Should be done tomorrow hopefully if I can get my helpers to carry them off and on the roof.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
1500 Watts Solar 600 amp Victron lithium
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Re: Attwood AC install

Reply #1
After watching the installation of my units, I would recommend leaving the "shells" off the units while they are being moved up on the roof and into position.  Leaving covers off makes them less bulky, allows more places to grab on to, and prevents accidental damage to shells.

Good luck!

PS:  I'm not seeing the photos in your first post for some reason - just little generic "missing image" icons.
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #2
His photos have been doing that lately, no image.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #3
I'm not seeing the photos in your first post for some reason
Same here. Just a minus sign instead. Really interested in the Atwood install as I'll be doing mine when we get back from our next trip.
jor

Reply #4
I've been using the insert photo by url. I guess only I can see it. I apologize and will correct as soon as I can....guess I will have to go back to the old way...
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #5
Let's try this
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #6
When I installed my units I placed a ladder at a shallow angle and pushed the A/C units a head of me up the ladder, Not too bad a job.

"After that they easily pushed up, but I left them on till tomorrow when I can get my 2 boys to help."

When I unhooked my old units I simply threw them off the roof, No reason to baby the old units on removal, They are off to the garbage after removal.
1995 U320C SE 40'
Jeep 4x4 Commander - Limited - Hemi
"The Pack"  Yogi and Diesel our Airedales -  Charlie our Boxer/Akita mix. Gone but NEVER forgotten Jake our yellow Lab.
NRA Law Enforcement Firearms instructor - Handgun/shotgun
Regional Firearms instructor for national Armored Transp. Co.

Reply #7
Pictures  are now are visible!  yes!

Old Ac will have scrap value, even after flight.
1999 U270 40 #5518
USN. USPS.

Reply #8
pushed the A/C units a head of me up the ladder

Lon,
  I was thinking about doing it that way too. One question: How did you get it over the top of the ladder without kind of dumping it onto the roof? I was thinking I might pull it up instead of pushing. Thanks.
jor

Reply #9
Okay so a acs are on the roof now and I'm hooking up wiring on the front one. Got the 12 volt and the 120 volt wiring hooked up no problem but now I'm coming to the thermostat. If I use the Atwood thermostat which I want to do there is a miss match in the cable.
I know that I could probably get that cable through if I take apart the overhead cabinets, but after doing that once to install my stereo system I really don't want to do it again. So the Atwood has a 4-wire cable system does anybody know what's in the rj11 cable? I guess I could just use for the wires and mount them together and be done with it that way but I really hate cutting into this cable if it doesn't work out.
has a laugh about throwing them off the roof. That was my youngest son suggestion and we kind of got into an argument to fight about it I really didn't want to do that. all I could see it was bouncing off the ground and hitting into the RV and causing some damage or making a huge mess and then having to go down there and clean it up. It's 90 degrees right now in Texas and I really don't want to do any more work than I already have to.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #10
So how we got them down? I slid them down a ladder with a rope attached to it. Those were the old penguin low profile ones I believe. to get the new ones out we did reverse we tied a rope around the AC unit and slid up the ladder we put a box underneath it to try to prevent the gasket from getting damaged it worked okay I'm going to have to put some sealant there. they weigh about 89 lb so they're fairly heavy and there's some sharp edges on it I cut my finger pretty well and my son cut his leg little bit. Still no it was worth not having to pay somebody to do it.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #11
What size are they? My pans were different on the 15k I received

Reply #12
Lon,
  I was thinking about doing it that way too. One question: How did you get it over the top of the ladder without kind of dumping it onto the roof? I was thinking I might pull it up instead of pushing. Thanks.
jor

I had the top of the ladder even with the roof, all that is needed is a push onto the roof.
I pushed the new units up the ladder while still boxed.

When pushing or tossing the old unit off the roof I can testify that they DO NOT BOUNCE.
1995 U320C SE 40'
Jeep 4x4 Commander - Limited - Hemi
"The Pack"  Yogi and Diesel our Airedales -  Charlie our Boxer/Akita mix. Gone but NEVER forgotten Jake our yellow Lab.
NRA Law Enforcement Firearms instructor - Handgun/shotgun
Regional Firearms instructor for national Armored Transp. Co.

Reply #13
When I replaced the rear AC on our '89 I did it somewhat similar. I used my 14' extension ladder fully extended and leaning so just the top end was slightly above the edge of the roof. I moved my 8' stepladder up close to the coach and under the extension ladder. Ratchet strapped the two ladders together. Then made a plywood "sled" with a 2x4 fastened on each edge so they kept the sled located on the ladder. Ratchet strapped the AC to the sled. Fastened a rope to the front (upper) side of the sled and then proceeded to pull the sled/AC up onto the roof--easy. Lowered the old AC on the same sled.
Nitehawk,  Demolition Lady, & our NEW master, Zippy the speeding BB cat.
1989 Grand Villa 36' ORED
Oshkosh chassis, 8.2 DD V8
2006 Saturn Vue AWD

Reply #14
when I did the 5th wheel... I pulled my truck next to the slide and lifted the ac on top of it..climbed on the roof and lifted it to  the spot for the install.. younger and healthier then..

Reply #15
Lon,
jor
Jor I used a 16 foot ladder extended to its max, had it at a good angle and the tops just proud of the roof, so it was mainly on the sloped part. I had to remove one of the solar panels to get it up there. When at the top my son just lifted it up and over the ladder. I did have some indentation on the gasket but don't think that will be a problem when I tighten it down and seal the edges. Got a bit late last night so not finished with the wiring on the front unit yet.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #16
What size are they? My pans were different on the 15k I received
Didn't measure it but comparing it to the dometic unit it is a bit smaller and the hole  doesn't line up exactly  to the hole in the roof. Once on the roof over the hole, it takes a bit of fiddling to make it fit, unless you have 2 people that can care, unlike my sons that just want to get it done and get back to computer gaming.....
The other thing I need to go is clean the roof off a bit more before finishing it with sealant. I cleaned the area with the gasket well, but under the unit is still dirty with crud and some algae.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #17
When I replaced the rear AC on our '89 I did it somewhat similar. I used my 14' extension ladder fully extended and leaning so just the top end was slightly above the edge of the roof. I moved my 8' stepladder up close to the coach and under the extension ladder. Ratchet strapped the two ladders together. Then made a plywood "sled" with a 2x4 fastened on each edge so they kept the sled located on the ladder. Ratchet strapped the AC to the sled. Fastened a rope to the front (upper) side of the sled and then proceeded to pull the sled/AC up onto the roof--easy. Lowered the old AC on the same sled.
Sounds like the proper way to do it, should have done it like that. The light aluminum ladder I used moved when first hauling it up and as I was on the ladder pushing, while my son was pulling you have to make sure it doesn't slip off the sides.  I had the rope (as big braided dockline) pulling from under the unit rather than the top to keep the lip of the unit from catching on the sides of the ladder. Worked ok. The sled would have been a better idea in the end though. In fact  two ladders together with one under to give it strength would have been great. But sadly only have one of those types. 
I didn't think of bringing it up in the box, but that might have worked as well. Bulky though and harder to put a rope around as the box would have deformed. 
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #18
Thanks, Bob. There are times when I am not your average idiot....I'm an above average idiot. Just ask my wife!! :))  :))
2006 Saturn Vue AWD

Reply #19
Putting in the easy start was not to bad on this unit. There is a pdf for the attwood on their site.
I put the unit on the other side, ran the wire through the unit, slipped it in the same hole the compressor wire bundle went through, and attached the wires as per the diagram on the pdf.
The brown wire I almost messed up on, but caught myself in the end. The black wire got connected to a relay from the main power on the Left side,  9A single to double male disconnect worked there and came with the install kit, most of which was not needed. 0, the white to the run capacitor, the orange to the other side of the run capacitor and the brown spliced into one of the wires off the run capacitor, which then gets removed from the capacitor and goes out to the compressor.
The pictures should give some idea of how it was connected, but in the end, look at the pdf file fo see. I used some self taping screws to hold the unit in place. I was going to just use VHB tape but couldn't find it, and the screws will give a better hold.

easy start pdf
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #20
I should mention that I was chasing a leak somewhere up top this spring. So one of the things I did was replace the foam gaskets under both ACs. But, being paranoid because of my so far unlocated leak, I put the foam gaskets with the "sticky" side down onto the roof.
I then proceeded to caulk all the way around the gaskets where they touched the roof> SEE HOW PARANOID I WAS!!
I did ultimately find the leak. It was under the Kingdome satellite dish!!
We have had some major downpours this summer and not a single leak anywhere.

2006 Saturn Vue AWD

Reply #21
So I removed the dometic thermostat and put in the attwood. I spliced the wires together. Now I get the fan in the dash air running but not the AC fan, although it did come on once.
HELP?
Now I remember that the thermostat controlled both front and rear AC's but this one only 1 ac. So not sure if I should go back to the original thermostat or try and make this one work.
Any thoughts?
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #22
So I removed the dometic thermostat and put in the attwood. I spliced the wires together. Now I get the fan in the dash air running but not the AC fan, although it did come on once.
HELP?
Now I remember that the thermostat controlled both front and rear AC's but this one only 1 ac. So not sure if I should go back to the original thermostat or try and make this one work.
Any thoughts?

Dash air is Aquahot? the atwood needs to be separate of the rear air.  Rear will be master now I would believe.. but the talking came through the front ac for both... So look at the rear as being master and front (atwood ) needs to be separate..If not changing both.

I am thinking out loud

Reply #23
Dash air is Aquahot? the atwood needs to be separate of the rear air.  Rear will be master now I would believe.. but the talking came through the front ac for both... So look at the rear as being master and front (atwood ) needs to be separate..If not changing both.

I am thinking out loud
also blue wire to ground and other blue to aquahot.. so when you hit furnace and heat the aquahot kicks on.

I had swapped both front and rear at the same time

Reply #24
David I swapped both out as well. I took pics of both before I disconnected them but now am scratching my head about it. Didn't think of the aqua hot. When I select fan only that fan comes on, not the ac unit. I haven't hooked up the rear yet. The other RJ11 cable on the passenger side goes to the rear unit.
On my coach the front and rear were on different ac breaker systems. The front can be run via the inverter as well as shore/genny.
When you say blue wire, do you mean from the ac or the thermostat?
Foretravel put in a temp controller in the rear bedroom that is interfaced with the dometic ac and thermostat. I looked again at the old units and they have 2 connections for the thermostat. But the Attwood only has one. That wouldn't be a issue as I was going to put a thermostat in the bedroom. Spent 1 hour tonight trying to fish a wire from the overhead bathroom light to the TV space in the bedroom and only managed to dehydrate myself. Its still high 80's here and a lot of humidity.
 Maybe if I connect the aqua hot as well it will work better.... i'll try that tomorrow.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired