Skip to main content
Topic: Kitchen Cabinets Binding in Center (Read 397 times) previous topic - next topic

Kitchen Cabinets Binding in Center

I loosened the hinge screws and there's no side adjustment available. I'm concerned that binding when closing will eventually loosen screws. What's the best way to adjust?
Randy (N4TDT) and Karen Crete
Sarasota, Florida
2000 U270 34' WTFE Build 5756 "Ole Red"
Follow Us: Login • Instagram  Camping for the Rest of Life – It does not matter how slowly you go so long you don't stop

Re: Kitchen Cabinets Binding in Center

Reply #1
Are the hinges even slightly bent? Should be tight to the wood on the side of the door.
There is no built in adjustment or adjuster
David & Emma Roche
Dino (Golden Doodle)
1999 U270 WTFE 36' Build # 5534
Xtreme "Lights, Stripes & Roof"
Motorcade# 18321
Dayton, Ohio
Towd: Jeep Grand Cherokee
Two Townie Electra Bikes

Life is made to enjoy, the Foretravel helps!

Reply #2
Thats what I thought I might hear.  The hung bases are flat against the wood but I'm thinking the part of the hinge from the pin to the cabinet face might be bent.  Not sure how that could happen.  Guess that means taking hinge off and attempting to bend it to pull door in at center?  What about the other side?
Sarasota, Florida
Follow Us: Login • Instagram  Camping for the Rest of Life – It does not matter how slowly you go so long you don't stop

Reply #3
In the pic above it appears that the hinge is bent inward.  You can try bending it back,  getting a new hinge or swapping that hinge for one on a overhead cabinet door. By putting that bent hinge on an overhead cabinet door there will be no other door next to it causing an alignment problem.

Reply #4
FWIW, yes, the hinge leaf is bent effectively moving the door to the center.
 Straighten the leaf or swap out.
 If you go new the finish may not match.
In restless dreams I walked alone.
Narrow streets of cobblestone.

'93 U225
Build 4337
'14 CRV Toad

Reply #5
You might try to take the hinge off and clamp the side that screws into the cabinet in a vice and then tap the hinge part down to make it a 90° angle.

Don't hit it very hard so go a bit at a time
Steve

1997 U270 36' build 5179
Motorcade #18147
1980 CJ5

Reply #6
Just go to the nearest home center and see if you can match the hinge and replace them.
John M.
John & Carm Morales

"We travel not to go anywhere, but to just go.  We travel for travel's sake.  Our great desire is to move."

Reply #7
Thanks to all.  Tman's swap suggestion has improved the situation til we get home can can try the vice suggestion or replace.  FWIW, these doors are the ones the garbage bags hang on...and may have for nearly 20 year.  We installed 2 command hook to do the job going forward. 
Sarasota, Florida