Skip to main content

Topic: Replacing An In-tank Fuel Pump With An In-line Pump (Read 287 times) previous topic - next topic

Replacing An In-tank Fuel Pump With An In-line Pump
As a follow-up to my earlier query re. the fuel pump relay, all the electrics checked out and I am now blaming the fuel pump for my starting problem.  I have managed to start the engine but the fuel pressure maxed out at only 3.5 psi on the...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

• Twig
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: Replacing An In-tank Fuel Pump With An In-line Pump
Reply #1
I had one on my Cat. It was located near the primary filter and worked for the 9 years I owned it. They are relatively cheap and worth the try. It has to be rated for fuel injection.

Reply #2
 I use Facet pumps. Best source is Aircraft Spruce.  They make a 3 or 7PSI, mounted at the back use the 7 .  I always use the little pre filter and an extra pre filter  into the pump. If you have  metal fuel lines, use an additional filter as...

Reply #3
The pump was located in the tank to eliminating vapor locking when it is hot out.

If you have more then 3.5 psi you might run the risk of overpowering your carb floats and putting excess fuel into the motor our out the vent tubes.

Unless engine has...

• NancyS
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
Had a lot of fuel pump problems with our Ford 460's in the 80's, finally found the cure was a Rotary Fuel Pump made by Carter.

Reply #5
Thanks to all for responding.

Holley recommends 6 to 7 psi (ideally 6.5) for the carb.  Amongst other things, low pressure lowers the boiling point of gasoline which can lead to vapour lock.  I was told that as long as the fuel lines are airtight...

Reply #6
Aircraft Spruce is a good source but you pay list price for the Facet pumps. I replaced the Facet on our plane last year from either Chief or Aircraft Spruce.

This ebay site has lots of Facets as well as clones. For a motorhome, a clone will do...

Reply #7
The power valve in your Ford holly carb could be bad which will let the fuel to drain out of the bowl creating a hard start condition.

Reply #8
Thanks to all for responding.

Holley recommends 6 to 7 psi (ideally 6.5) for the carb.  Amongst other things, low pressure lowers the boiling point of gasoline which can lead to vapour...

Reply #9
Thank you all so much for your suggestions. There are so many different routes to choose from.

I just do not fancy having to drop the tank again for any reason so I shall probably proceed with an in-line pump and offer regular sacrifices to the...

• Pyolet
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #10
Marty, I think you are missing an opportunity to save yourself a lot of grief in the future.  When your coach was built, gasoline did not have ethanol added to it.  The term "vapor lock" is as old as the internal combustion engine and had to do...

Reply #11
The power valve in your Ford holly carb could be bad which will let the fuel to drain out of the bowl creating a hard start condition.
I forgot about the power valve.  Easy to tell if bad...

Reply #12
The bad thing about the power valve is if the engine backfires it will blow the power valve again. I used to have a list of what gaskets were needed and the power valve part number. That was over 20 years ago so don't know what happened to the...