Skip to main content

Topic: Engine Speed Sensor (Read 806 times) previous topic - next topic

Engine Speed Sensor
Was on the road with no problems.  Stopped at a Walmart for a couple of hours.  Started up and I got a Engine Speed Sensor Warning.  Using the BlueFire device I looked up the fault code and it read 190-10 Warning Description: Engine-Engine Speed...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Engine Speed Sensor
Reply #1
Well looking at the Diagnostic Fault Codes For Cummins Engines it states it is the magnetic pickup.   Attached is a screenshot of the list of codes.
  • Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 10:46:37 am by John Morales

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
Taking a guess it would be on the housing of the engine to count the teeth on the flywheel.

Reply #3
I would start my search close to the end of the crank shaft, near the belt pulley. IMHO

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
Here is what it looks like

Reply #5
Thanks everyone for the help and ideas.  It poured all night and as soon as it dries up a little we will go hunting for the sensor.
John M.

• Mark D
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
My coach sat on a consignment lot for a long time.  It registered this code before a test drive.  When we had it dyno tested cummins cleared the code and we've never seen it again.  But the cam sensor is a known and inexpensive issue.

Reply #7
Well it was a beautiful day today so I decided to look into the sensor issue.  I was able to receive some guidance on the location of the sensor. It is in a very tight and difficult position in the front of the engine on the drivers side.  If you...

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
I was going to say dbl. check the connection. When I was looking at parts for you I read a little and it looks like a few of the issues was the connection.

Hope you fixed it!!

Reply #9
I cleaned and put the connector together and still getting the check engine light.  Question, do I have to clear the code for the check engine light to go off? Can I disconnect the chassis batteries to clear the code?

Thanks in advance, John M.

Reply #10
The sensor part shorts out inside the potting material.  Oil gets in the plastic.  There are two sensors in the unit.

Both will short internally finally.

If they are bad you may be able to hear the engine misfiring at idle.  Erratic pulses.

The...

Reply #11
A good video explanation about the engine position sensor.
John M.

camsensor - YouTube

Reply #12
Sensor update.  Drove 3 hours from my campsite and stopped to fill up.  When I went to start the check engine light was off.  Hoping it reset itself for good after fixing the connector plug.  Either way I ordered the sensor from Cummins....

Reply #13
Good work John, thanks for sharing, believe I'll order one as well.

Reply #14
Well after unloading this morning we started the coach and we got the dreaded check engine light again.  We have the sensor on order.  We will change it as soon as it arrives.  If that doesn't  work then it is off to Cummins.
To be...

Reply #15
Thanks John for the pics and the links. A good proper post of what is wrong, great documentation, and links to the part to fix it. Wish every post was like this.

• Mark D
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #16
Another good video which also discusses what the socket size of the sensor is and how people grind out a slot to fit the socket around the wiring.   I believe he also said it's the same size as an o2 sensor socket.

Reply #17
Does anyone know if you have 1 of 2 internal cam sensors failed will you get a yellow check engine?

Ours don't.  When the primary went out and it swapped to the back up the engine developed a...

• Mark D
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #18
Ours don't.  When the primary went out and it swapped to the back up the engine developed a slight miss.

Mike

Interesting, I'll check out if I have any codes set on mine.  I can hear it...

Reply #19
1. I'll check out if I have any codes set on mine. 
2. I can hear it miss every now and then. Maybe once every 5-10 seconds and only at idle. 
3. Any fix where I don't have to crawl around on...

Reply #20
I received my sensor today.  My dilemma is removing and replacing the sensor.  Searching the internet, auto part and truck parts stores for the socket was unsuccessful.   The only sensor socket I found was 7/8".  The Cummins Engine Speed Sensor...

Reply #21
Maybe you can knock the top of the sensor off and use a standard socket to remove it .

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #22
Maybe a ratchet wrench?

Reply #23
Almost looks like you can take a 11/16 spark plug wrench and grind out the side of it and if need it longer cut the top off and weld a 1/2 or 3/4 pipe on it and drill a hole and make it a T handle

Reply #24
I'm a toolmaker by trade. Making the tool would have been easy.   The problem is I don't have access to tools and equipment anymore.   Looking to use the Proto Crowfoot Socket Wrench.  It should work.
John M.