Skip to main content
Topic: Engine Speed Sensor (Read 1394 times) previous topic - next topic

Engine Speed Sensor

Was on the road with no problems.  Stopped at a Walmart for a couple of hours.  Started up and I got a Engine Speed Sensor Warning.  Using the BlueFire device I looked up the fault code and it read 190-10 Warning Description: Engine-Engine Speed Sensor.  Abnormal Rate Of Change.  Since it was just a check engine light I drove 16 miles to our campground, turned off the coach to register,  started the coach and the warning was gone.  Just wondering if someone knows where the engine speed sensor is located so I can check the connections.  My wife said that when we were parked at Costco for the night she heard something like a mouse in the engine compartment.  We were parked close to a farmers field where it looked like they had just turned over the soil.  Just need to know where is the Engine Speed Sensor Located.

John M.
John & Carm Morales

"We travel not to go anywhere, but to just go.  We travel for travel's sake.  Our great desire is to move."

Re: Engine Speed Sensor

Reply #1
Well looking at the Diagnostic Fault Codes For Cummins Engines it states it is the magnetic pickup.  Attached is a screenshot of the list of codes.
John & Carm Morales

"We travel not to go anywhere, but to just go.  We travel for travel's sake.  Our great desire is to move."

Reply #2
Taking a guess it would be on the housing of the engine to count the teeth on the flywheel.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #3
I would start my search close to the end of the crank shaft, near the belt pulley. IMHO
88 Grand Villa 36' ORED 3208 (throwaway)Cat.
 Build # 3150
Happiness is the maximum agreement of reality and desire.

Reply #4
Here is what it looks like

Reply #5
Thanks everyone for the help and ideas.  It poured all night and as soon as it dries up a little we will go hunting for the sensor.
John M.
John & Carm Morales

Reply #6
My coach sat on a consignment lot for a long time.  It registered this code before a test drive.  When we had it dyno tested cummins cleared the code and we've never seen it again.  But the cam sensor is a known and inexpensive issue.

Reply #7
Well it was a beautiful day today so I decided to look into the sensor issue.  I was able to receive some guidance on the location of the sensor. It is in a very tight and difficult position in the front of the engine on the drivers side.  If you look at my first picture below you can get an idea of where the engine position sensor is located.  The next picture is the air conditioner pump, idler pulley and water pump.  If you look under the air conditioner through where the idler pulley location you will see a plug with 4 wires.  Follow the harness towards the engine to the sensor.  It seems it is screwed behind the the water pump just above the pump.  Tight spot to get into.  I think if I had to remove it I could use a short handle service wrench.  No room to stick your head in there.  Above is the large intake.  Below is the exhaust.  Air conditioner pump is in the way.  A PIA to get to.  I believe I can do it blindly with the service wrench.  Part can be found on EBay for about $20 and the number is 4326596.

In the process of locating the sensor and plug, I decided to pull the plug apart, clean it and apply some dielectric grease.  Upon looking at the plug it felt very loose.  When I went to start pulling it apart, it separated very easily.  Looked at the male end and found the plug lock was broken and not keeping the connection tight.  I'm going to clean it up and put a zip tie on the connector to keep the connector halves from pulling apart. I'm hoping this will solve the issue.

A big thanks to JC hotonthetrail on this forum for walking me through the location on the phone. He was a big help and very informative.  Thanks to everyone else for your comments and private messages.  We will let you know if this solves the problem.

John and Carmen
John & Carm Morales

Reply #8
I was going to say dbl. check the connection. When I was looking at parts for you I read a little and it looks like a few of the issues was the connection.

Hope you fixed it!!

Reply #9
I cleaned and put the connector together and still getting the check engine light.  Question, do I have to clear the code for the check engine light to go off? Can I disconnect the chassis batteries to clear the code?

Thanks in advance, John M.
John & Carm Morales

Reply #10
The sensor part shorts out inside the potting material.  Oil gets in the plastic.  There are two sensors in the unit.

Both will short internally finally.

If they are bad you may be able to hear the engine misfiring at idle.  Erratic pulses.

The replacement unit is solid metal on the end.  No potting.

The ism added a crank position sensor to the cam sensor for backup.

If both of your sensors fail it flat bed time.  Sounds like one is out already
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #11
A good video explanation about the engine position sensor.
John M.

camsensor - YouTube
John & Carm Morales

Reply #12

Sensor update.  Drove 3 hours from my campsite and stopped to fill up.  When I went to start the check engine light was off.  Hoping it reset itself for good after fixing the connector plug.  Either way I ordered the sensor from Cummins. According to the video I posted, they should be changed every five years.  EBay had the sensor for $20 but I didn't want to take a chance on getting a cheap knockoff from China.  I wanted the Genuine Cummins Sensor.
John and Carmen

Amazon.com: 4326596 Cam Sensor For All Cummins L10, M11, N14 Engines (Celect...

John & Carm Morales

Reply #13
Good work John, thanks for sharing, believe I'll order one as well.
Bill and Marsha Kuykendall
1999 Foretravel U320 36' CAI
Build Number 5446
2006 Lexus GX 470

Reply #14
Well after unloading this morning we started the coach and we got the dreaded check engine light again.  We have the sensor on order.  We will change it as soon as it arrives.  If that doesn't  work then it is off to Cummins.
To be continued....🤔🤨🤬
John and Carmen
John & Carm Morales

Reply #15
Thanks John for the pics and the links. A good proper post of what is wrong, great documentation, and links to the part to fix it. Wish every post was like this.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
1500 Watts Solar 600 amp Victron lithium
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #16
Another good video which also discusses what the socket size of the sensor is and how people grind out a slot to fit the socket around the wiring.  I believe he also said it's the same size as an o2 sensor socket.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCxojfhkYBk

Does anyone know if you have 1 of 2 internal cam sensors failed will you get a yellow check engine?

Reply #17
Does anyone know if you have 1 of 2 internal cam sensors failed will you get a yellow check engine?

Ours don't.  When the primary went out and it swapped to the back up the engine developed a slight miss.

Mike
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters."

Reply #18
Ours don't.  When the primary went out and it swapped to the back up the engine developed a slight miss.

Mike

Interesting, I'll check out if I have any codes set on mine.  I can hear it miss every now and then.  Maybe once every 5-10 seconds and only at idle.  Any fix where I don't have to crawl around on the ground fighting wasps is fine with me

Reply #19
1. I'll check out if I have any codes set on mine. 
2. I can hear it miss every now and then. Maybe once every 5-10 seconds and only at idle. 
3. Any fix where I don't have to crawl around on the ground fighting wasps is fine with me

Mark,
1. You should have that on a '99
2. Same symptoms as ours.
3. Can't guarantee that.

Mike
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters."

Reply #20
I received my sensor today.  My dilemma is removing and replacing the sensor.  Searching the internet, auto part and truck parts stores for the socket was unsuccessful.  The only sensor socket I found was 7/8".  The Cummins Engine Speed Sensor is 11/16".  On the internet I found that Cummins has a socket for that sensor at $118 with the shipping included.  I'm going to try and use a crows foot and see how it works.
To be continued,  John M.

https://www.apexinds.com/tools/M20123.html
John & Carm Morales

Reply #21
Maybe you can knock the top of the sensor off and use a standard socket to remove it .

Reply #22
Maybe a ratchet wrench?

Reply #23
Almost looks like you can take a 11/16 spark plug wrench and grind out the side of it and if need it longer cut the top off and weld a 1/2 or 3/4 pipe on it and drill a hole and make it a T handle
Steve

1997 U270 36' build 5179
Motorcade #18147
1980 CJ5

Reply #24
I'm a toolmaker by trade. Making the tool would have been easy.  The problem is I don't have access to tools and equipment anymore.  Looking to use the Proto Crowfoot Socket Wrench.  It should work.
John M.
John & Carm Morales