Skip to main content

Topic: Another generator issue (Read 910 times) previous topic - next topic

Another generator issue
As posted in another post, my generator quit working when I began driving it this afternoon. It had been running perfect for 2 hours prior to driving. It did similar a couple of weeks ago while I was driving. That time, the overflow tank was...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Another generator issue
Reply #1
Did you get any alarms or warning lights?

I just had a generator issue.  I picked up my coach from storage a few days ago.  While there I had it serviced.  New filters and fluids all around.  When I got it home and Barb was ready to start loading...

Reply #2
Larry, we stopped in a rest area a couple of days ago and went to fire up the gen and it started and shut down, restarted, shut down, it tried to restart again and red light came on.  Went outside and cleared the red light, which was engine...

• Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 08:41:51 am by juicesqueezer

Reply #3
No alarms or lights seen. When I pulled out of the rv repair shop, it felt like the coach was dragging something. It was the generator engine shaking and dying. I shut it off and drove home w/o AC. I purchased a new fuel pump 2 years ago when I...

Reply #4
Joe, thanks for the info. I hope we both find out the issues. Where is the red light you are talking about? In the coach or on the generator itself? I don't remember seeing any light.

Larry

Reply #5
Larry,

Check your water pump belt to see if it needs to be adjusted.
Which power unit (engine) do you have?   Like Isuzu, Kubota, Perkins?

Mike

Reply #6
If you have a remote radiator, the lights may be on a box in front of the fan.  Mine is turned such that the lights are hard to see as they are between the box and the fan, facing the fan. 

• hdff
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
I've been having issues. It would run for an hour or 10 or anything in between. Would get a green or red light on the dash when running or shutdown but I had no lights , running or not, on the generator control box. Changed the thermostat,...

Reply #8
Mike,  I will check the belt. Hadn't thought of that yet. I have the Kubota engine.

Larry

Reply #9
Steve, I will look for lights by the fan. Haven't looked in the area intently before. I'm sure there are several things on this coach which I haven't found yet.

Larry

Reply #10
Keith, my coach is older than yours and somewhat different, however I will try to figure out how to verify whether ii is bad or not. I doubt if Powertech is open on the weekend, but who knows. Do you have a phone# by chance. I am like you, I have...

Reply #11
Larry,

While you are looking over your unit check both the wiring and connector that goes to the oil pressure sending unit.  If it is loose or has a bad wire the unit's vibration could be causing a come and go shut down.  Your unit will have the...

• hdff
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #12
No I don't think their open on the weekend. Below is the number option 3 if I remember correctly, they are in Florida on eastern time. Jeff is the service guy.  They 2 day fedex'ed my part for $25. Good luck I think yours is similar just not...

Reply #13
Mike thanks, I will check the wiring and see if I can find any lights on the control box. It is mounted on the front of the gen if I remember.

Keith, thanks for the number. I will check things out this afternoon between storms and if I can't...

Reply #14
I had a simalar issue, upon investgton I found a leak where the rad cap pipe makes the bend to the rad. Poor solder joint from the factory.  When the rad was full, it's worked fine. But it would not refill from the recovery tank because of the...

Reply #15
Storms off and on today, I will pull the gen out and check the rad level tomorrow. Did you see any signs of leakage or buildup on the bad solder leak?

Larry

Reply #16
What is the best way to see the gen radiator on the fan side. I can look on the outboard side by the tires from  underneath, but looking to see if the rad is clean on the fan side.

Larry

Reply #17
Larry,
If it's original It probably would be a good idea have a  good radiator shop clean it inside and out. Probably isn't transferring as much heat as it did when originally installed.
You really can't see through it until it's removed.
Probably...

Reply #18
John I will be trying to check it out. I don't think I have time before the trip to get it out and back, will probably have to wait till we get back for a complete removal. Was planning on having the system cleaned out and new fluid put in this...

• Texhub
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #19
 Ok! 8k isuzu 3lb1 fan belt bolts, 2 metric, I used large, long straight slot in the engine side of arm slot. To gain force to push toward rear. This allowed me to tighten "gates trueflex 1320 3/8 x 32" belt". I tightened bottom first. Then top,...

Reply #20
Joe, thanks for the info. I hope we both find out the issues. Where is the red light you are talking about? In the coach or on the generator itself? I don't remember seeing any light.

Larry

• Texhub
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #21
Well I failed my own work. Lesson learned.
1. When replacing water pump. Ensure you apply proper amount of Rtv to make gasket.
2. Best to put on rear water hose and tighten it down on radiator before install.
3. Back shroud half. Bolts are hard to...

• Texhub
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #22
A useful tool is a handheld laser temperature gun. Useful to take generator tempture at below thermostat and above. Radiator tempture.
Use to see ac air tempture coming out vents.
Refrigerator tempture.
Just to give you ideas. Doesn't have to be...

• MAZ
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #23
Mark
  When I replaced my water pump it did not come with a gasket. I bought some gasket material at the parts store and made my own.

Mark

Reply #24
Well, worked on the gen and pulled electrical connections and put on some dielectric grease and button it back up.  Started right up and ran, so thought we were good to go!  Wrong!  Went inside and the remote on the Progressive EMS was on but no...