Skip to main content
Topic: Another generator issue (Read 1617 times) previous topic - next topic

Another generator issue

As posted in another post, my generator quit working when I began driving it this afternoon. It had been running perfect for 2 hours prior to driving. It did similar a couple of weeks ago while I was driving. That time, the overflow tank was slightly low. I added antifreeze and it ran great for an hour in the driveway. I will check the level in the morning.

In the mean time, has anyone had similar issues and if so what did you do to remedy? Any comments appreciated while I go on this hunt.

Thanks,
Larry
Larry Warren
1996  U320 36' SBID "Lola"
Build #4970
Motorcade #18318

Re: Another generator issue

Reply #1
Did you get any alarms or warning lights?

I just had a generator issue.  I picked up my coach from storage a few days ago.  While there I had it serviced.  New filters and fluids all around.  When I got it home and Barb was ready to start loading it up, I tried to start the genny.  No luck, it turned over fine and coughed a few times like it wanted to start, but didn't.  Noticed the fuel pump wasn't clicking any more.

I started reading here and diagnosed lack of fuel.  Tank is full.  So ordered a new 12v fuel pump, installed this afternoon, running great as of tonight.

My only suggestions are to check if the fuel pump is clicking, 

Also see if you are getting any fault lights.  A previous time I had overheating when the start capacitor failed on the remote radiator fan.
1998 U320 40'
2005 GMC Yukon
MC# 17609

Reply #2
Larry, we stopped in a rest area a couple of days ago and went to fire up the gen and it started and shut down, restarted, shut down, it tried to restart again and red light came on.  Went outside and cleared the red light, which was engine overcranking.  Waited until we started back down the road and tried it again and it ran for almost 100 miles.  Pulled into the RV park and all of a sudden, it quit again, went through the restarting on its own and finally the dreaded red light again.  Have not had a chance to pull out the gen and check obvious places for issues.  Sounds like we have the same gremlin.  This was just serviced in June, so not sure where to start.  Will check oil level first, but could be a bad oil sensor.  Whatever I find, I will post under your question.  I hope you find your issue!
Joe & Dottie Allen
Sold!  December 2023.      2000 U320; build # 5645
Our coach " Maxine"
Motorcade #  15922;  Escapee 150950; FMCA F330833; Boondockers Welcome;  Harvest Hosts;  Thousand Trails
'98 U320 from 2000-'06
USAF '62-'66

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." ―Epicurus

Reply #3
No alarms or lights seen. When I pulled out of the rv repair shop, it felt like the coach was dragging something. It was the generator engine shaking and dying. I shut it off and drove home w/o AC. I purchased a new fuel pump 2 years ago when I thought the old one was going bad. It turned out I had fuel line crack leaking air. New lines and it worked well with the old pump. At that time, I noticed that the pump ran constant clicking. A previous owner had put in an electrical spade connector which when taken apart, the clicking stopped, but the engine still would start and run.

I will change out th pump just as a precaution, since I have the pump on the coach. When It stopped the last time, I checked the radiator level, full up the cap but overflow was slightly low. The fan was running the whole time the generator was running in the driveway. I want to see if the radiator might be dirty tomorrow, possibly causing it to shut down from overheating. Don't know how hard that is to check, but will see.

Thanks,
Larry
Larry Warren
Build #4970
Motorcade #18318

Reply #4
Joe, thanks for the info. I hope we both find out the issues. Where is the red light you are talking about? In the coach or on the generator itself? I don't remember seeing any light.

Larry
Larry Warren
Build #4970
Motorcade #18318

Reply #5
Larry,

Check your water pump belt to see if it needs to be adjusted.
Which power unit (engine) do you have?  Like Isuzu, Kubota, Perkins?

Mike
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters."

Reply #6
If you have a remote radiator, the lights may be on a box in front of the fan.  Mine is turned such that the lights are hard to see as they are between the box and the fan, facing the fan. 
1998 U320 40'
2005 GMC Yukon
MC# 17609

Reply #7
I've been having issues. It would run for an hour or 10 or anything in between. Would get a green or red light on the dash when running or shutdown but I had no lights , running or not, on the generator control box. Changed the thermostat, cleaned the radiator, burped the radiator to be sure it was full, checked the high temp switch and still had the problem.. called Jeff at powertech, described my issues and what I had done to so far to trouble shoot, he said it sounded like the control board. Then I told him I had no lights on the control panel on the generator and he replied he was almost 100% sure it was the control board.. came home that night and tried it one more time.... it ran 30 minutes..... got the new control board today, easy install, it ran almost 2 hours.. got a yellow light while the fuel pulp clicked before start up then a green light when it started...  keeping my fingers crossed!!!!! We are going to the grandvention Monday so it will get more run time then.........Here's a pic of the old board with no lights on

Keith
The selected media item is not currently available.Keith & Jo
2003 U320T 4025 PBBS Designer series
Build 6203    Cummins 500hp
2000 U320 4010 WTFE / Build 5762 —Sold—
Motorcade #18070   
Pasadena, Texas
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara-Sunset Orange pearl coat
Don't argue with a fool, people watching might not be able to tell the difference.

Reply #8
Mike,  I will check the belt. Hadn't thought of that yet. I have the Kubota engine.

Larry
Larry Warren
Build #4970
Motorcade #18318

Reply #9
Steve, I will look for lights by the fan. Haven't looked in the area intently before. I'm sure there are several things on this coach which I haven't found yet.

Larry
Larry Warren
Build #4970
Motorcade #18318

Reply #10
Keith, my coach is older than yours and somewhat different, however I will try to figure out how to verify whether ii is bad or not. I doubt if Powertech is open on the weekend, but who knows. Do you have a phone# by chance. I am like you, I have a 26 day trip starting a week from Sunday, it would really be nice to drive with AC .

Larry
Larry Warren
Build #4970
Motorcade #18318

Reply #11
Larry,

While you are looking over your unit check both the wiring and connector that goes to the oil pressure sending unit.  If it is loose or has a bad wire the unit's vibration could be causing a come and go shut down.  Your unit will have the Dynagen system in the generator control box (where ever yours is mounted)  see if it has any of the trouble lights are on.

Mike

Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters."

Reply #12
No I don't think their open on the weekend. Below is the number option 3 if I remember correctly, they are in Florida on eastern time. Jeff is the service guy.  They 2 day fedex'ed my part for $25. Good luck I think yours is similar just not enclosed.

Keith
The selected media item is not currently available.Keith & Jo
2003 U320T 4025 PBBS Designer series
Build 6203    Cummins 500hp
2000 U320 4010 WTFE / Build 5762 —Sold—
Motorcade #18070   
Pasadena, Texas
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara-Sunset Orange pearl coat
Don't argue with a fool, people watching might not be able to tell the difference.

Reply #13
Mike thanks, I will check the wiring and see if I can find any lights on the control box. It is mounted on the front of the gen if I remember.

Keith, thanks for the number. I will check things out this afternoon between storms and if I can't locate, I will call them first thing Monday.

Thanks again,

Larry
Larry Warren
Build #4970
Motorcade #18318

Reply #14
I had a simalar issue, upon investgton I found a leak where the rad cap pipe makes the bend to the rad. Poor solder joint from the factory.  When the rad was full, it's worked fine. But it would not refill from the recovery tank because of the loss of vacuum caused by the poor solder joint.  The engine will not run with the  coolant low it drove me to the scotch bottle.
Safe Travels
Dave
2001 U320 40ft
Build #5867
2003 Tracker
VE7DOD

Reply #15
Storms off and on today, I will pull the gen out and check the rad level tomorrow. Did you see any signs of leakage or buildup on the bad solder leak?

Larry
Larry Warren
Build #4970
Motorcade #18318

Reply #16
What is the best way to see the gen radiator on the fan side. I can look on the outboard side by the tires from  underneath, but looking to see if the rad is clean on the fan side.

Larry
Larry Warren
Build #4970
Motorcade #18318

Reply #17
Larry,
If it's original It probably would be a good idea have a  good radiator shop clean it inside and out. Probably isn't transferring as much heat as it did when originally installed.
You really can't see through it until it's removed.
Probably full of the old generator compartment insulation reducing air flow.
John Duld
1995 U320C SE 40'

Reply #18
John I will be trying to check it out. I don't think I have time before the trip to get it out and back, will probably have to wait till we get back for a complete removal. Was planning on having the system cleaned out and new fluid put in this winter anyway.

Larry
Larry Warren
Build #4970
Motorcade #18318

Reply #19
 Ok! 8k isuzu 3lb1 fan belt bolts, 2 metric, I used large, long straight slot in the engine side of arm slot. To gain force to push toward rear. This allowed me to tighten "gates trueflex 1320 3/8 x 32" belt". I tightened bottom first. Then top, pressing rearward for tension. Generator was slid out. Fan on, radiator not in place.  For me. I would be unable to tighten from above if slid in. Hard if slid out from front. If able to go behind. It would be much easier. Pictures show upper tension pulley. Bottom of bracket bolt.
Note: I took off tension pulley. Rolled it. Then checked alignment. I think it was aligned wrong. Placed 2 washers behind pulley. To keep it from rubbing on brace. Lock washer on nut.
Radiator going in next.

Shared album - mark hubbard - Google Photos

WARNING!!
3/8 X 34 1/8 IS WRONG BELT!
supplied by Mot. Master pro 7335.
1999 U270 40 #5518
USN. USPS.

Reply #20
Joe, thanks for the info. I hope we both find out the issues. Where is the red light you are talking about? In the coach or on the generator itself? I don't remember seeing any light.

Larry

Mine is marked as a Fault on the dash= red light, located just above the Run= green light.  Also, on the generator itself located on the outside of the box is a series of light and what they represent.  To clear, I had to turn the main switch off and back on.  That is located on the front of the gen box as well.  Hope this helps!
Joe & Dottie Allen
Our coach " Maxine"
Motorcade #  15922;  Escapee 150950; FMCA F330833; Boondockers Welcome;  Harvest Hosts;  Thousand Trails
'98 U320 from 2000-'06
USAF '62-'66

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." ―Epicurus

Reply #21
Well I failed my own work. Lesson learned.
1. When replacing water pump. Ensure you apply proper amount of Rtv to make gasket.
2. Best to put on rear water hose and tighten it down on radiator before install.
3. Back shroud half. Bolts are hard to find with hand in blind mode. Best if you can raise coach pull forward generator and install by going up thru back.
4. Radiator will want to lean toward passenger side. Fan will make contact. Ensure you have radiator toward driver side.
5. The smaller half of shroud can be installed with all other parts in place.
6. New hoses can be purchased at o'Reilly s.
7. New alignment of tension pulley is correct.
With small shroud pulled you can see radiator somewhat. For sure you can stick phone in and take picture. Insulation does clog fins.
I have to pull apart everything due to waterpump leaking due to improper gasket. Dang it!.

Photo is mounts under radiator.

Shared album - mark hubbard - Google Photos
1999 U270 40 #5518
USN. USPS.

Reply #22
A useful tool is a handheld laser temperature gun. Useful to take generator tempture at below thermostat and above. Radiator tempture.
Use to see ac air tempture coming out vents.
Refrigerator tempture.
Just to give you ideas. Doesn't have to be high priced. Just has to work. Yes its coupon worthy at HF. Remember free whatever you chose.
1999 U270 40 #5518
USN. USPS.

Reply #23
Mark
  When I replaced my water pump it did not come with a gasket. I bought some gasket material at the parts store and made my own.

Mark
The selected media item is not currently available.
Mark and Tanya
Milton , Florida
US Navy Veteran (DV)
1999 U270 Special 40' CAI , 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Reply #24
Well, worked on the gen and pulled electrical connections and put on some dielectric grease and button it back up.  Started right up and ran, so thought we were good to go!  Wrong!  Went inside and the remote on the Progressive EMS was on but no voltage coming in from the generator.  Checked the remote and it was showing an E-3 error, which is high voltage.  Generator was putting out 155 on leg 1 and 153 on leg 2.  So, it would not allow generator to supply power.  At least it was doing it's job!
Not sure where to go from here;  can anyone tell me where the voltage regulator is on this unit or is it built in?  Could the generator be running too fast and it needs to be idled down?
Any help would be appreciated.  The other day, it was working, but had trouble staying running.  Now, it is running fine and no electric.
Thanks in advance!
Joe & Dottie Allen
Our coach " Maxine"
'98 U320 from 2000-'06
USAF '62-'66