Skip to main content

Topic: 94 u280 Hydraulic Fan Motor  (Read 691 times) previous topic - next topic

94 u280 Hydraulic Fan Motor
I am having problems with my hydraulic fan motors
on my 1994 U280 With c8.3m Cummings . This started about 2400 miles ago when the shaft seal on the most forward motor dumped all hydraulic fluid going up a mountain in West Virginia.
Long story...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: 94 u280 Hydraulic Fan Motor
Reply #1
Sure sounds like PSI may be too high.

You need the info and then put a gauge on it.

Reply #2
I Agree still looking for that info

Reply #3
During all this did the filters for the hyd. system get changed?  
Did the hyd. controller get checked?

Mike

Reply #4
No but has had 20 gal of fresh fluid go threw if and have no info, for controller to test it

Reply #5
Gary,

Even if the filters were changed recently (like just before this started) you sure need to check to make sure that one of your filters hasn't came apart. There is a chance that if the filter disintegrates due to age it can send filter trash...

• Twig
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
I will swing by tomorrow and look you up. I assume you are at Dreamcatcher?

Reply #7
Good point will check asap
Thanks

Reply #8
I will swing by tomorrow and look you up. I assume you are at Dreamcatcher?
Only oily Foretravel in the place

Reply #9
Gary,

Even if the filters were changed recently (like just before this started) you sure need to check to make sure that one of your filters hasn't came apart. There is a chance that if...

Reply #10
After removing fan motor today. I was tracing hydraulic lines and found the small line that connects between the two fan motors was caped off about three feet from the hydraulic reservoir. After further searching found small line coming off...

• kenhat
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #11
I was tracing hydraulic lines and found the small line that connects between the two fan motors was caped off about three feet from the hydraulic reservoir. After further searching found...

Reply #12
I thought from reading on posts that a controller and some kind of relief valve were required.  Am I missing something.
Gary,

Agree it is confusing reading about all the different ways the...

Reply #13
Those lines sound like the motor drains. They are used to drain off hydraulic oil when there is an overpressure in the motors. If they are plugged off (or clogged as they were in my case) the...

Reply #14
Gary,

Agree it is confusing reading about all the different ways the hydraulic fans can be controlled.  Several methods used by FOT over the years.

Your system sounds similar to ours.  A...

• Twig
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #15
There is a high speed fan solenoid on a '94 and you can default to run always on high speed. Did your seals seem to blow at a period when the fans should be running on high speed?

I'm thinking that maybe if you were running at high rpms and the...

Reply #16
That's what mine is just pump and motors, just does not sound right. Like having a electrical circuit with no fuse or circuit breaker.
I would check my drain line mine looks like they...

Reply #17
There is a high speed fan solenoid on a '94 and you can default to run always on high speed. Did your seals seem to blow at a period when the fans should be running on high speed?

I'm thinking that...

Reply #18
Those lines sound like the motor drains. They are used to drain off hydraulic oil when there is an overpressure in the motors. If they are plugged off (or clogged as they were in my case) the...

• Twig
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #19
Are you positive you don't have this solenoid, drivers side? We have basically the same coach and it was Foretravel that told me about it.

Reply #20
Twig,

Does that solenoid show up on your electrical diagram?  Which hydraulic hose does it control?  I have never seen anything like that on our coach, and have spent quite a bit of time under there poking around.

Perhaps that was a change from '93...

Reply #21
Twig
Just went to look to make sure and I see nothing like that on my rv.

• Twig
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #22
Twig,

Does that solenoid show up on your electrical diagram?  Which hydraulic hose does it control?  I have never seen anything like that on our coach, and have spent quite a bit of time...

Reply #23
How do your fans run on high speed?
Like I said in my post above:  when my engine runs at high speed, the fans run at "high" speed.  When my engine is idling, the fans run at "low" speed.  Exactly...

Reply #24
My 95 U240 Cat 3116 has the solenoid(drivers side like twig) controlled by a water temp sending unit like for a temp gauge.  If you want to default to high speed just remove/disconnect the ground wire.  I have ran the ground wire up to my dash...