Skip to main content
Topic: U-joint went out (Read 444 times) previous topic - next topic

U-joint went out

When I was coming home from the Davis Mountain State Park last week I noticed a noise/vibration in the back of the MH.  I just now checked on the driveshaft and u-joints.  Thank you Jesus that I got home, the u-joint at the tranny is gone and coming apart.  I have greased them in the past, must have been to long ago.
Pat/Blue Angel
1995 U240 36ft
MC# 16511
Build# 4653

Re: U-joint went out

Reply #1
Ya, they both look DRY.

I don't mind seeing grease coming out and even a little "slung" onto the bottom of the coach above them.

Remember, when greasing, either zirk works-- they go to the same center reservoir.  And grease until clean grease comes out all 4 cups.  Wipe off access.
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #2
I grease mine twice a year with a moly grease. Grease is cheaper then repairs.
Peter and Frieda Morin
1999 36ft. U320 Foretravel
Build # 5436
1998 Suzuki Sidekick Sport

Reply #3
Brett is technically correct, both zerks go to a centre reservoir. But I have spent many years in the trucking industry and my experience has taught me to grease both grease nipples. It only takes a minute to grease the other grease nipple and if you do you will find you do not have a u joint failure. The second thing is if you are stuck , grease the u joints before you really apply big power and you will find the u joint will survive the strain. We run 650 HP in Canada and haul 62,000 kg loads. Yes the math is correct. Rarely does a trucker loose a u joint.
Anyway that has been my experience,
Safe Travels

Dave
2001 U320 40ft
Build #5867
2003 Tracker
VE7DOD

Reply #4
Really dry. You really can't grease them too often and grease should come out all cups. As Brett says, nothing wrong with seeing grease thrown on the bottom of the coach. I grease all Zerks a.k.a Zirks on U joints. A good manual gun will develop more pressure than an air grease gun.

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)