Skip to main content

Topic: retarder quit (Read 519 times) previous topic - next topic

retarder quit
hi guys, hope I can describe well enough so I can try to fix the retarder.
everything was going great and the retarder was doing fine and I jinxed myself by saying to my wife, these retarders are great they work like this....you know the rest of...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: retarder quit
Reply #1
My retarder quit working a while back, same symptoms . Replaced the 12 volt relay switch, amongst all the other wiring on the left side wall ahead of the transmission touchpad, easy fix in my case.

Reply #2
Thinking maybe there is a short in the joystick switch. any way to check that? are new ones available?

Wind,

Start with the relay as they are cheep.  To answer your question, Allison #...

Reply #3
Great start guys,
One question, where is the relay, looks remarkably similar to the one in the bay underneath that controls the water pump.
Is it underneath the panel with the switches and the joystick.
In Pennsylvania now and have to go over the...

Reply #4
On our '97  320 the relay is hid just to the left of the steering column right above where your left foot rides. On some coaches I have seen them behind the removable carpeted kick panel in front of your left foot.

Mike

Reply #5
after replugging the connector in the back I get a flash on the red light of the switch and it goes right off. Repeating that procedure gets the same result...same flash on the red light and...

Reply #6
Thanks for the reply's
Removed joystick from armrest and really filed down the contacts with a nail file emery board on the entire contact and that did the trick.
Very nice having the retarder over the mountains.

Reply #7
Sorry for adding such an elementary question to this but I just purchased my bus and the retarder is new to me.  I have been nervous to use the retarder but attempted it yesterday and it did nothing but I am not sure if it was user error yet.  If...

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
Sorry for adding such an elementary question to this but I just purchased my bus and the retarder is new to me.  I have been nervous to use the retarder but attempted it yesterday and it did...

Reply #9
Hi Farrakha
I just keep the retarder switch activated all the time. braking action with the foot pedal will activate the retarder (the light will come on), a little at first then more the harder you press on the brake. You should notice quite a...

Reply #10
Hi Farrakha
I just keep the retarder switch activated all the time. braking action with the foot pedal will activate the retarder (the light will come on), a little at first then more the...

Reply #11
I think I am correct. My 1996 equipment is not set up to accept the VPMSpc system. What alternatives are available (e.g., a temp sensor on the retarder discharge?) to me in my 1996?

• rbark
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #12
300 deg is max temp for retarder for a short period according to Allison. My limit is 250. YMMV

Reply #13
I think I am correct. My 1996 equipment is not set up to accept the VPMSpc system. What alternatives are available (e.g., a temp sensor on the retarder discharge?) to me in my 1996?

Reply #14
Alan, you really don't need the plug, just the pinouts.  On my 1993 Newell I just tapped into the wires to install my 1st VMSpc.  Silverleaf didn't have the correct plug available 10+ years ago.

Reply #15
Alan,
If you have the older OBD II port you can purchase a OBD II to Deutsch 9-Pin Connector adapter. Then you can use the SilverLeaf or BlueFire to analyze your coach.
John M.

OBD II to Deutsch 9-Pin Connector

More options:
OBD II to Deutsch 9-Pin...