Skip to main content

Topic: Pex questions... (Read 421 times) previous topic - next topic

Pex questions...
What is the group consensus on Pex ?  Sharkbite connections or crimp?
The only Pex I have used was with Whale fittings. These are like Sharkbite fittings. Wonder what the long term life of the sharkbite vs the crimp is?
Was looking at Pex crimping...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Pex questions...
Reply #1
I've used SharkBite connections for every plumbing mod I've done on our coach.  They seem to work great - zero leaks (so far).  I have no idea what the service life is...but since they will probably outlive me, I'll let the next owner worry about it.

Reply #2
PEX with crimps are very strong when made with the older copper rings or the newer stainless steel crimps. The pressure the rings or crimps put on the pipe embeds the pipe into the fitting making it nearly impossible to remove from the fittings...

Reply #3
Thanks. Just what I needed to know.

• Twig
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
I can say for a fact that sharkbite fittings will last at least 12 years.......and still going.   :))

Reply #5
I replumbed our vacation home in Mammoth Lakes (very cold winters) using PEX.   I used the copper rings throughout with a single exception where I could not access the ring with the tool, so I used the push type there.  I bought the crimpers for...

Reply #6
Sharkbite is really a brand of tools and fittings that work with Pex, which Sharkbite also makes.  It is probably the most popular brand. Sharkbite makes a push to connect type of fitting that a lot of folks refer to as "Sharkbite".  Sharkbite...

Reply #7
I have used both types of fittings and both have worked well for me. The SharkBite fittings are significantly more expensive, but unless one is using large quantities of them it's not a major issue. At times (in certain locations) the SharkBite...

Reply #8
Have done years of plumbing and both the clamp and Sharkbite work great!  The Sharkbites are more expensive, but in some area's of the coach, it is the only thing to use since you lack the necessary space for the crimping tool.  Neither has ever...

Reply #9
One other possibility to put out there that I have been using is the Uponor Logic Pex Bands.  Super easy to use, works well in tight spaces, and have never had a leak.  The only issue is that you do need a special tool to install the bands that...

Reply #10
Used brass Shark bites to plumb my whole shop bath. It gets cold too. 10+ years and counting.

I do all RV repairs with "Flare it" pex fittings, been using them 25 + years, never an issue. Cheaper, and positive locking

Flair-It 16816 Plastic Swivel...

• rbark
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #11
Those look good Chris

• [*][*]
Reply #12
I have been replacing all my grey pipe and plastic valves with pex and brass ball valves little by little and not having any problems

Reply #13
What are you using?