Skip to main content
Topic: Pex questions... (Read 1201 times) previous topic - next topic

Pex questions...

What is the group consensus on Pex ?  Sharkbite connections or crimp?
The only Pex I have used was with Whale fittings. These are like Sharkbite fittings. Wonder what the long term life of the sharkbite vs the crimp is?
Was looking at Pex crimping tools today at Lowes. Pretty expensive for what it does imo.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
1500 Watts Solar 600 amp Victron lithium
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Re: Pex questions...

Reply #1
I've used SharkBite connections for every plumbing mod I've done on our coach.  They seem to work great - zero leaks (so far).  I have no idea what the service life is...but since they will probably outlive me, I'll let the next owner worry about it.
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #2

PEX with crimps are very strong when made with the older copper rings or the newer stainless steel crimps. The pressure the rings or crimps put on the pipe embeds the pipe into the fitting making it nearly impossible to remove from the fittings even with the crimp cut off and removed.
I regularly inspect leaking copper piping, some CPVC pipe leaks and just about never find PEX leaking.
JWGJW PEX Clamp Cinch Tool Crimping Tool Crimper for Stainless Steel Clamps...
This is the tool you want, easy to use even with one hand, good for tight small areas and a lot cheaper than Lowes.
The PEX crimps make for a very neat professional looking installation.
I rarely see shark bites used, except by water softener installers who are cutting into existing installations - cannot say I have seen one leak.
All the plumbing I have installed over the last 15 years has been PEX and I have never had a problem with a leaking crimped connection.

David & Emma Roche
Dino (Golden Doodle)
1999 U270 WTFE 36' Build # 5534
Xtreme "Lights, Stripes & Roof"
Motorcade# 18321
Dayton, Ohio
Towd: Jeep Grand Cherokee
Two Townie Electra Bikes

Life is made to enjoy, the Foretravel helps!

Reply #3
Thanks. Just what I needed to know.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #4
I can say for a fact that sharkbite fittings will last at least 12 years.......and still going.  :))
1994 U280, Build 4490
Deming, NM.

Reply #5
I replumbed our vacation home in Mammoth Lakes (very cold winters) using PEX.  I used the copper rings throughout with a single exception where I could not access the ring with the tool, so I used the push type there.  I bought the crimpers for the RV, since it requires much less space to use. 
2000 U320 mid entry  #5688
2006 Jeep Liberty

USMCR retired
SDFD retired
FEMA US&R TF8

Reply #6
Sharkbite is really a brand of tools and fittings that work with Pex, which Sharkbite also makes.  It is probably the most popular brand. Sharkbite makes a push to connect type of fitting that a lot of folks refer to as "Sharkbite".  Sharkbite also makes many types of fittings that can be clamped or crimped.  If you should ever have to replace any of these fittings, it is recommended to replace the pex unless it is long enough to cut off the clamped or crimped part and reconnect.  I have made a few repairs and no leaks.  I used black copper crimp rings, but clamp probably works just as well.  Clamps are easier to remove if you plan to reuse the fitting (elbow, tee, etc.)  When assembling several pieces of pex and fittings where I had to assemble some of it to get the lengths of pex correct, I found that I could do partial crimps to hold the parts together and then come back and complete the crimp when everything was correct.  Could probably do the same with clamps.  This worked out well as I could remove the assembly complete the crimps and then just have to do one crimp in tight quarters. 
Jerry Whiteaker former owner 96 U270  36' #4831 Austin,TX-Owner Mods LCD TV w/front cabinet rebuild - LCD TV bedroom - Dual Central AC, either can cool coach w 30 amp - Skylights at roof AC openings - Drop ceiling for ducting of AC - Shower skylight white gelcoat/wood/epoxy frame - Air Springs/Shocks replaced - 2014 CRV - 8K Home Solar - Chevy Volt

Reply #7
I have used both types of fittings and both have worked well for me. The SharkBite fittings are significantly more expensive, but unless one is using large quantities of them it's not a major issue. At times (in certain locations) the SharkBite fittings are much easier to use.
David and Carolyn Osborn
1995 U320C SE 40' Build 4726 Feb 1995
FMCA 147762
Motorcade 17186

Reply #8
Have done years of plumbing and both the clamp and Sharkbite work great!  The Sharkbites are more expensive, but in some area's of the coach, it is the only thing to use since you lack the necessary space for the crimping tool.  Neither has ever failed me!  The one thing I do like about using the Sharkbite is it can be removed easily and reinstalled.
Joe & Dottie Allen
Sold!  December 2023.      2000 U320; build # 5645
Our coach " Maxine"
Motorcade #  15922;  Escapee 150950; FMCA F330833; Boondockers Welcome;  Harvest Hosts;  Thousand Trails
'98 U320 from 2000-'06
USAF '62-'66

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." ―Epicurus

Reply #9
One other possibility to put out there that I have been using is the Uponor Logic Pex Bands.  Super easy to use, works well in tight spaces, and have never had a leak.  The only issue is that you do need a special tool to install the bands that is different than the clamp style.  While I have never had a bad experience with a shark bite, I have always considered them temporary for home repairs and changed them out as soon as I can.
Mark & Bev
2001 U295 36'
Cummins ISC 8.3 350HP
Build #5802
Jeep Wrangler Toad

Reply #10

Used brass Shark bites to plumb my whole shop bath. It gets cold too. 10+ years and counting.

I do all RV repairs with "Flare it" pex fittings, been using them 25 + years, never an issue. Cheaper, and positive locking

Flair-It 16816 Plastic Swivel Elbow, 0.5" Size: Pipe Fittings: Amazon.com:...

Amazon.com: Flair-It Coupling: Automotive

Flair-It 1/2 in. PEX x 1/2 in. Dia. FPT PVC Coupling - Ace Hardware

Chris and Tammy White  CDA Idaho
Previous owners 1997 U295 36' 3126 Cat 300 HP Build # 4998
Former Foretravel tech & RVIA certified tech
Former owner Custom Satellite home/RV satellites 
Former owner Vans LTD  van conversions
Unemployed, panhandler, drag racer NHRA #6348

Reply #11
Those look good Chris
Richard & Betty Bark & Keiko our Golden Doodle
2003 U320T 3820 PBDS
Build # 6215
MC # 16926
2016 Chevrolet Colorado 4X4 diesel

Reply #12
I have been replacing all my grey pipe and plastic valves with pex and brass ball valves little by little and not having any problems
1985 35'ORED
Rat Rod Hauler
Build #2540
High School Teacher

Reply #13
What are you using?
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #14
OK, so well on my way to redoing the mess the previous owners made to my water system. Hope to make it more user friendly and eliminate a bunch of stuff not needed.
This project has morphed into a redo of both wet bays. Eventually.
First started on the passenger side. Removed a ton of old pex. Also rerouted the drain from behind the bulkhead to under the coach.
I am also adding a hot water bypass that Roger had posted on previously to save on water and grey tank space.
That is being sent from the bottom of the maniblock on the hot side to my new direct fill on the drivers side wet bay.
Most of that is done. Since I won't have the solenoid for direct fill anymore I plan on using that switch to power the relay for that system.
Below is a pic of all the parts in my system I did not need or replaced with new. Some were pretty beat up, with gaskets eaten away by time. Can't replace those as far as I  know, so put in new. I also repositioned the water pump. Not completely finished yet so pics will have to wait till done.
Also need to replace the black water flush, and possible change my third valve to a remote valve in order to accommodate the Lippert waste master hose. Going to redo the faces of the wet bay as well. To many holes from PO changing stuff.
I changed my water filtration system from pre fill to post tank as well. I will put in a single larger sediment filter prefill on my water hose. I have both a glendinning 50 foot 50 amp wire reel and a 35 foot water hose reel ordered. That will be hooked up to the direct fill at the top of the tank. Both are  on order and not expected till mid January or so.

'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #15
IMO pex makes a outstanding product. Have always used the copper crimp rings and brass fittings. Had great luck with them. That being said I really am intrigued with the plastic pex rings used with plastic fittings. Expensive tools thou. The problems with the kitec fittings with the hi zinc and corrosion is hard to forget. I've never seen the pex fittings sulfate but?? Our water in southern Nevada is terrible and corrodes everything. I've got literally hundreds of fittings around and in our house, radiant heated floors and solar heat collectors. Always in the back of my mind. The plastic would never corrode but may dry out and crack. Guess I'll stay with what works pex with copper crimp rings and brass fittings. I've never used the stainless rings, they cost to much to change too being I'm already set up to crimp. Also I have one small crimper that uses two 5/16 bolts to pull tight. Never not been able to make it fit were needed. I have seen the shark bite or similar direct buried and corroded till failure, but they were not intended to be used that way. Always felt they were a temporary expensive patch although many swear by them.
Scott
Scott and Kim Davidson
If you're going to be dumb, you got to be tough.
DEGOIWKY
Don't ever get old, it will kill you
June 30, 2020
2001 U320 3610 Barn find
Build 5834

Reply #16
PEX is great but the brass fittings are beginning to show deterioration after 12/15 years, do not yet see them leaking in installations but the plastic fittings are becoming the fittings of choice.
David & Emma Roche
Dino (Golden Doodle)
1999 U270 WTFE 36' Build # 5534
Xtreme "Lights, Stripes & Roof"
Motorcade# 18321
Dayton, Ohio
Towd: Jeep Grand Cherokee
Two Townie Electra Bikes

Life is made to enjoy, the Foretravel helps!

Reply #17
PEX is great but the brass fittings are beginning to show deterioration after 12/15 years, do not yet see them leaking in installations but the plastic fittings are becoming the fittings of choice.

I've seen some plastic fittings weaken and begin to seep as they age as well. I'm not sure either style is the perfect design.
David and Carolyn Osborn
1995 U320C SE 40' Build 4726 Feb 1995
FMCA 147762
Motorcade 17186

Reply #18
Anyone who has tried to remove (cut) a copper ring knows how resilient they are.  I have never been able to pull a pex line from a fitting after having done so.  I can't imagine this crimping rings ever corroding, especially considering that the water doesn't come in contact with the crimps.  I would not trust plastic.  The only failure I've had was with the 20 year old quarter turn valves in the wet bay when one started to leak.  It was an easy fix.
2006 Jeep Liberty

USMCR retired
SDFD retired
FEMA US&R TF8

Reply #19
I used the stainless steel crimps because that's what tool I bought as it was the least expensive. But I was really impressed with the copper rings that I removed from some of the PEX fittings on the coach. If I was going to do it again with the knowledge I have now, I would have went with those. But the tools a whole lot more expensive. I would not use plastic fittings but that's just me. One thing I did make a mistake on was not buying the large contractor pack at Lowe's. 50 bucks for a hundred of them, and the other pack of 10 was $6.50, I'm on my third pack and have to go back for more. Laughing out loud. Live and learn. Today working on it's some more I realize that I needed to reroute some of the lines I already put in. So out came some of the work I've done, but I already had a large amount of the hose and I just needed a few more crimps. In the end it will be much better.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #20
I have the ring tool which I bought when re-plumbing the vacation house and bought the smaller one for the stainless crimps for the RV since it can get into tighter spaces.  Considering the cost of someone else doing the work, especially on the road, the tools are a good investment.
2006 Jeep Liberty

USMCR retired
SDFD retired
FEMA US&R TF8