Skip to main content

Topic: Electrical switch question (Read 265 times) previous topic - next topic

Electrical switch question
When the po had the basement redone, all the lights were not rehung, so I have no lights in the bays.
Going to put LED light fixtures from M4 in there but not sure how to wire them up.
I want to control 2 lights per bay with 2 switches, one on each...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

• kb0zke
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: Electrical switch question
Reply #1
You probably have such a circuit in your home. What you are describing is commonly called a three-way switch. Your big problem might be finding such a switch rated for 12vdc. You might be able to use they standard household ones, but they are...

Reply #2
You need two spdt on on switches like these.
Buy Rocker Switches - Free Shipping over  | Zoro.com

It can be done with a latching relay and multiple momentary contact switches. 

It can also be done with common Bosch style relays.

Reply #3
If you want to control both lights in each bay independently, then you will need 4 SPDT switches per bay and wire them as Roger has shown in the previous post. You would have 2 switches per side, one for each light.
Using a latching relay is also...

Reply #4
So I get 3 way switches. But that is not my solution as I see it. In that, 2 switches control 1 or more lights in a on or off situation.
What I want to do is control 2 lights independently and together.
2 circuits will do it with a 3 way switch. ...

Reply #5
Sometimes a simple solution is OK.  With LED strip lighting and a pair of SPDT switches you can illuminate the entire bay and turn them off from either side.  The lights in my main bay have a switch and lights on each side.  If the switch is on...

• kb0zke
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
After thinking about this overnight, I've decided to do something similar. I'm going to run two strips of LED lights in each bay. Each strip will be controlled by a switch. One switch will be on the driver's side, the other on the navigator's...

Reply #7
David,
I have a wire trough that runs the length of the bay.  Put one strip as close to the door opening as possible and another next to the trough.  Makes seeing what is in there easier.  Wire the strips in parallel to minimize voltage loss

Reply #8
OK. After a bit of research, and you guys help (Thanks Roger) I have decided to use 2 switches per side, in a 3 way spdt config. One switch per side for each light. So I can put on one, or both from either side and / or shut them off. I tried in...

Reply #9
An on-on (no center position) would reduce dead system issues with one switch in the middle position.

Reply #10
Why not go with some motion LED's like FT now installs on all of the new coaches?  That way you only have to worry about getting power to the light.  As so as you open the door or if door is open and you walk by the light comes on.