Skip to main content
Topic: Electrical switch question (Read 493 times) previous topic - next topic

Electrical switch question

When the po had the basement redone, all the lights were not rehung, so I have no lights in the bays.
Going to put LED light fixtures from M4 in there but not sure how to wire them up.
I want to control 2 lights per bay with 2 switches, one on each side. But I want to be able to put one or both lights on, or turn off them from either side. Not sure how to do that.
Anyone have a idea?
The lights I will use I think are these
Would like to use Blue sea contura switches.
This would be on both pass thru bays. The wet bays will be easy.
Just not sure how to wire something like this, but feel like I should know...
Thanks
Bob
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
1500 Watts Solar 600 amp Victron lithium
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Re: Electrical switch question

Reply #1
You probably have such a circuit in your home. What you are describing is commonly called a three-way switch. Your big problem might be finding such a switch rated for 12vdc. You might be able to use they standard household ones, but they are quite a bit larger physically than what you might want. You will need two switches per light, so a total of four switches for each bay.

Do a search for how to wire a three-way switch and see if that helps you.

Keep us posted on what you use and how you wire it. Others might want to do something similar.

Reply #2
You need two spdt on on switches like these.
Buy Rocker Switches - Free Shipping over  | Zoro.com

It can be done with a latching relay and multiple momentary contact switches. 

It can also be done with common Bosch style relays.

Reply #3
If you want to control both lights in each bay independently, then you will need 4 SPDT switches per bay and wire them as Roger has shown in the previous post. You would have 2 switches per side, one for each light.
Using a latching relay is also a good option..............
Justin & Cathy Byrd
1995 U280 "Old Faithful"
36' Build #4673
C8.3 Cummins
Allison MD3060R 6 speed - retarder
Powertech 10KW  4cyl Kubota

Reply #4
So I get 3 way switches. But that is not my solution as I see it. In that, 2 switches control 1 or more lights in a on or off situation.
What I want to do is control 2 lights independently and together.
2 circuits will do it with a 3 way switch.  But hoped I could do it with one switch on each side in a less complex way that relays etc.
So if on the drivers side bay, I could, using one switch turn on that light that illuminates that side, or both for more light, then turn both off. But I see that for a few bucks more in switches and wiring I could just do it with 2 seperate circuits.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #5
Sometimes a simple solution is OK.  With LED strip lighting and a pair of SPDT switches you can illuminate the entire bay and turn them off from either side.  The lights in my main bay have a switch and lights on each side.  If the switch is on the lights come on when you open the bay door and are of when the door is closed. 

Reply #6
After thinking about this overnight, I've decided to do something similar. I'm going to run two strips of LED lights in each bay. Each strip will be controlled by a switch. One switch will be on the driver's side, the other on the navigator's side. No, I won't be able to control both lights from either side, but I will be able to light up the entire bay from either side.

For the OP, if you want only one switch per side, you might need to go to a multi-point rotary switch. You would have OFF, LIGHT 1, LIGHT 2, BOTH. Not sure that you could find such a switch. You might want to see if there is a good electronics store in your area - one that carries electronic PARTS, not just appliances. Another possible source would be a local hamfest. To find one, go to arrl.org and look for hamfests. Another way would be to go to a Wal-mart or large grocery store parking lot and look for a vehicle with a ham license plate. That will be one or two letters, a number (1-0), and one, two, or three letters. If I had a ham plate on one of my vehicles, for example, it would be KB0ZKE (two letters, a number, and three letters). Talk to the owner of the vehicle about what you want to do. You will probably be invited to the next meeting of the local club, where you can explain what you want to do, and you will have a dozen or so people all working to help you. Don't be surprised if someone says they have what you need in their junque box and offers to not only give it to you, but to help you with the installation - with them supplying all the parts and most of the labor.

Reply #7
David,
I have a wire trough that runs the length of the bay.  Put one strip as close to the door opening as possible and another next to the trough.  Makes seeing what is in there easier.  Wire the strips in parallel to minimize voltage loss

Reply #8
OK. After a bit of research, and you guys help (Thanks Roger) I have decided to use 2 switches per side, in a 3 way spdt config. One switch per side for each light. So I can put on one, or both from either side and / or shut them off. I tried in my brain to think of a way to get one switch to do it all,  and thought about a rotary switch as well, but in the end figured this is the simplest way to do it.
These switches will do it, they are the same as the blue sea  ones just a bit cheaper. So 4 total, to run 2 lights.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #9
An on-on (no center position) would reduce dead system issues with one switch in the middle position.

Reply #10
Why not go with some motion LED's like FT now installs on all of the new coaches?  That way you only have to worry about getting power to the light.  As so as you open the door or if door is open and you walk by the light comes on.
2014 ih45  (4th Foretravel owned)
 1997 36' U295 Sold in 2020, owned for 19 years
  U240 36' Sold to insurance company after melting in garage fire
    33' Foretravel on Dodge Chassis  Sold very long time ago