Skip to main content
Topic: Long term storage? (Read 797 times) previous topic - next topic

Long term storage?

Because of health issues, we are staying in Ajo for as long as it takes to get healthy and the coach will not be moved. The fuel tank is full (with additive), I'm going to air up the tires to max. She is sitting on crushed gravel with kick-downs to level. The question is: should I put plywood or 2 x s under all six tires or is the gravel o.k. for her to sit on? Thanks in advance; any other suggestions?  ^.^d
1993 U-240 "La Villa Grande"..CAT 3116 w/ Pacbrake PRXB...Allison 3060 6-speed..
Previous: 1983 Airstream 310 turbo diesel, 1979 Airstream 280 turbo diesel
                                      Build # 4297
                                      PNW natives
                      Home base:  'Cactus Hug' (Ajo, Arizona)
                        DW Judy & Chet the wonder dog
                        Full-Timers 'Sailing the asphalt sea'

Re: Long term storage?

Reply #1
Plywood would be slightly better.  But covering them (white better) to protect them from UV light is even more important.

If you are able to drive it 25 highway miles once in a while that would also be beneficial.
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #2
Here is a recommendation from Bridgestone.

Quote:

Thank you for contacting Bridgestone and allowing us to assist you.

First of all, regarding the effects of storage:

A cool, dry, sealed garage is your best condition for storage, however, it is realized that this is not often an available option. Concrete is not the tire enemy some people think it is.

We would recommend the following steps in storing a vehicle:

1. Make sure the floor / ground surface is free of any petroleum product contamination (Oil, grease, fuel, etc.) since petroleum products will attack rubber and can cause significant damage to compound characteristics.

2. Thoroughly clean your tires with soap and water.

3. Place a barrier such as plastic, cardboard, or plywood between the tires and the ground surface.

4. Cover your tires to block out direct sunlight and ultra violet rays.

5. Do not store the vehicle in close proximity to steam pipes, electrical generators or animal manure since these accelerate oxidation of the rubber.

6. Make sure your tires are fully inflated with air.

7. When the vehicle is ready to go back into service, inspect the tires for excessive cracking in both the sidewall and tread area and check all tire air pressures. Tires will normally lose about 2 PSI per month so you should expect to find the pressures lower than when you put the vehicle into storage. Re-inflate the tires to the correct air pressure before operation.

Now, about the effects of time:

Yes, rubber compound does slowly change over time, becoming "harder" as it ages. But unless we are talking years, this would be virtually undetectable. However; the most likely effect of storage will be:

1. Flat spotting of the tires from taking a 'set' while sitting in one position for an extended length of time. This 'set' may work itself out of the tires after being put back into operation, but not always. This, of course, would result in a vibration.

2. Tires have waxes and oils specially formulated to protect against ozone damage built into their rubber compounds. When the tire rotates and flexes, these waxes and oils are forced to the tire's surface and are thus able to protect the tire. When a tire is stationary, these waxes and oils are not coming to the surface and thus the tire is at greater risk of ozone damage.

3. Several days of non-use at a time is not nearly as detrimental to tires as long storage periods. The tires would still be operated often enough to avoid excessive 'set' and the waxes and oils are being forced to the tire's surface often enough to provide adequate protection against ozone.

Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #3
Thanks, guys!  ^.^d
1993 U-240 "La Villa Grande"..CAT 3116 w/ Pacbrake PRXB...Allison 3060 6-speed..
                                      Build # 4297
                                      PNW natives

Reply #4
Mike, I had C-diff last year. It was pretty horrible so I know what you are going through. I was able to avoid the hospital, I hope you can too.  I'm sure your doc told you that eating Activia yogurt helps after you finish the antibiotics. I ate a oatmeal too. Be sure to stay hydrated, even when you don't want to. Best wishes.
1993 U300 40ft GV SE
Build # 4344

Western NC mountains

Reply #5
Good luck! Don't forget to exercise the generator.
1993 U225
Build #: 4285
500 Watts Solar
Honda CRV AWD
Retired, Snowbird, Full time Off Grid

Reply #6
Mike,

I use plastic cardboard pallet dividers.  For a standard pallet, they are 40" x 48".  Light weight, tough and easy to handle.  When I'm on the road, they lay flat on the bottom of storage bay and take up virtually no room.

Here is  a link to what they look like.  I don't buy mine since my part time job is driving 18 wheel refers.  You might find this around a Walmart or a warehouse dock.

Get well.

jk

ULINE - Shipping Boxes, Shipping Supplies, Packaging Materials, Packing Supplies
Jack and Cathy
1992 U280 Unihome 36' Build #4034
Cummins 8.3 /  Allison MT647/ PacBrake
Apopka, FL / Barre Center, NY

Reply #7
Because of health issues, we are staying in Ajo for as long as it takes to get healthy and the coach will not be moved. The fuel tank is full (with additive), I'm going to air up the tires to max. She is sitting on crushed gravel with kick-downs to level. The question is: should I put plywood or 2 x s under all six tires or is the gravel o.k. for her to sit on? Thanks in advance; any other suggestions?  ^.^d
Yeah, BTDT because of heart issues and followed that up with the c.diff dance after an infection in my shin bone.  About of year before the c.diff was all sorted out.

I use 2" by 12" planks under all of the tires to level the coach and separate the tires from the earth and its little critters.

One hour a month seems to keep the generator happy, I've paid the price for not doing so.

I am currently using an occasional wipe with Ru-Glyde to try and protect the surface of the tires, a product I keep around for mounting motorcycle tires.

In my book this is the gold standard product for rubber (neoprene) protection is thiss stuff, but it ain't inexpensive hence the Ru-Glyde:  Age MasterĀ® #1 | Goodrich Deicing Systems

1992 Foretravel Grand Villa
U225 SBID Build No. 4134
1986 Rockwood Driftwood
1968 S.I.A.T.A. Spring
1962 Studebaker Lark
1986 Honda VF700C
1983 Honda VF750C
Charlie, the Dog was broken out of jail 24 Oct 2023
N1RPN
AA1OH (H)e who must be obeyed.

Reply #9
I'll have to remember to shut off our generator when the coach is in long term storage. ;)  ;) Some of the B ... here could accelerate oxidation of most anything.  >:D  >:D  >:D

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #10
Day to day use of the genset causing tire oxidation?

Reply #11
ozone is produced, which ages rubber. Clearly we dont need to worry about this with our tiny well ventilated generators.
95 U300SE

Reply #12
Is 3/4" cheap plywood going to be o.k.?
                                      Build # 4297
                                      PNW natives

Reply #13
Yes.
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #14
Thanks Sir! ^.^d
                                      Build # 4297
                                      PNW natives