Skip to main content
Topic: Only One Issue (Read 555 times) previous topic - next topic

Only One Issue

Just finished a trip up north, about 3500 miles. The 270 ran great with one hiccup. We were proceeding on a detour route through a town. It was slow going, maybe 30 mph or so and I started losing power. I pulled over when I could. It was idling fine but when I pressed on the accelerator it would kind of cut out. I had recently filled up at Love's in Burlington, CO so I was thinking maybe some bad fuel. I checked the clear plastic bowl and didn't see any water but figured I would have to change filters.

Anyhow, I remembered that this same thing happened about three years ago in Oregon. We were climbing a mountain and started losing power. That time I pulled over, shut down and restarted and proceeded normally. So what the heck. I shut it down and restarted and all was well. Ran like a top from then on.

I guess I can put up with this once every three years but I am perplexed at what might be the cause. This is a mechanical 8.3 so there really isn't much that can go wrong. Wondering if anyone might have an idea. Thanks.
jor

Re: Only One Issue

Reply #1
I had the same think happen to me a number of years ago.  I had not fueled up tho.  On freeway and was loosing power. Pullled over on feeder road and shut down engine. Let sit for few minutes and was back on the road.
2014 ih45  (4th Foretravel owned)
 1997 36' U295 Sold in 2020, owned for 19 years
  U240 36' Sold to insurance company after melting in garage fire
    33' Foretravel on Dodge Chassis  Sold very long time ago

Reply #2
Just finished a trip up north, about 3500 miles. The 270 ran great with one hiccup. We were proceeding on a detour route through a town. It was slow going, maybe 30 mph or so and I started losing power. I pulled over when I could. It was idling fine but when I pressed on the accelerator it would kind of cut out. I had recently filled up at Love's in Burlington, CO so I was thinking maybe some bad fuel. I checked the clear plastic bowl and didn't see any water but figured I would have to change filters.

Anyhow, I remembered that this same thing happened about three years ago in Oregon. We were climbing a mountain and started losing power. That time I pulled over, shut down and restarted and proceeded normally. So what the heck. I shut it down and restarted and all was well. Ran like a top from then on.

I guess I can put up with this once every three years but I am perplexed at what might be the cause. This is a mechanical 8.3 so there really isn't much that can go wrong. Wondering if anyone might have an idea. Thanks.
jor

Count your blessing, and don't worry.
Chris
Chris and Tammy White  CDA Idaho
Previous owners 1997 U295 36' 3126 Cat 300 HP Build # 4998
Former Foretravel tech & RVIA certified tech
Former owner Custom Satellite home/RV satellites 
Former owner Vans LTD  van conversions
Unemployed, panhandler, drag racer NHRA #6348

Reply #3
Wonder if it is throttle-related.

Is yours air throttle, King Control, other?
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #4
Long shot guess, something sucking up on the fuel inlet. Shut down and it falls to the bottom until the next episode.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #5
That's my thought also. Have you replaced the fuel lines?
Richard & Betty Bark & Keiko our Golden Doodle
2003 U320T 3820 PBDS
Build # 6215
MC # 16926
2016 Chevrolet Colorado 4X4 diesel

Reply #6
King Control. It was rebuilt back in 2010. Fuel lines in 2015. Since it happened we put 1500 miles on without a repeat so I like the no-worries advice. I do have an endoscope, however, so I think I'll take a look at the tank. Thanks to all.
jor

Just happened to think of something else. All I did was turn it off and restart. No wait time.

Reply #7
If it happens again, call Steve Boler at King.  He is GREAT at diagnostics.

He can walk you through verifying it is/is not the King unit.
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #8
Check to see if your brake lights have come on. I was in cruise and it dropped out of cruise and I had no power. I had to disconnect
the wire going to the vim and either from the brake light relay or the cruise relay. Then I would hook everything up and I was good
to go. You shutting off the engine would have done the same thing I think. I had problem with it for quite awhile on that trip and
everything has good every since. If your brake lights are on the King control will only give you 1/3 rd throttle. Hope this helps.
Peter and Frieda Morin
1999 36ft. U320 Foretravel
Build # 5436
1998 Suzuki Sidekick Sport