Skip to main content

Topic: Adding an engine brake to U320 (Read 1122 times) previous topic - next topic

Adding an engine brake to U320
Is adding an engine brake an option and how much would it cost?

Re: Adding an engine brake to U320
Reply #1
What year U320? You (should) have a hydraulic transmission retarder.  You want to add a compression release engine brake (Jake brake)?

Reply #2
Yes, if you are asking that an engine compression brake can be added to a Cummins M engine it can be done. An expensive engine upgrade plus wiring to the front.  Contact your Cummins dealer with your engine serial number.

But, like Chuck, I have...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Reply #3
Once you have a Jake, the question is answered.

Pierce

Reply #4
Once you have a Jake, the question is answered.

Pierce

Pierce,

I am also a big fan of engine compression brakes-- excellent braking HP without adding heat to the transmission.

BUT,...

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
Heard that same statement about a retarder,sounds almost like your spending $10 to save $5.

Reply #6
Pierce,

I am also a big fan of engine compression brakes-- excellent braking HP without adding heat to the transmission.

BUT, not sure I could rationalize adding it to a coach already fit with at...

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
I see alot of signs in towns saying no engine brake allowed,never saw one for a retarder.

Reply #8
I have no experience with an engine compression brake, but I've read that those with exprience with both prefer the Allison retarder. Any comments from those with experience with both?

• jcus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #9
Have had "jake" brakes in 3 coaches, two on 2 strokes and one on a Series 60. Compression brakes generally only have 1,2 or 3 stages, unlike the multiple ones on a retarder. Jakes are more dependant on engine speed, but as Pierce says, you can...

• jor
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
Any comments from those with experience with both?

I've had all three (Pac, Compression, Retarder). The retarder is the best but a two or three speed Jake is pretty sweet. Both? Go for it!
jor

Reply #11
The 11 liter m11 engines displacement limits its jake brake abilities somewhat.  My Cummins shops foreman/owner showed  me a jake assembly that was off of a crane trucks engine.  Used parts seem to be about a  CB.  Really had considered it as an...

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #12
I'm in the market for a 320 and when I get one I have been thinking about adding  a Jake brake. I drive in the mountains all the time and with the engine brake I don't have to worry about heat. I like the idea of both for the highway and for town...

Reply #13
Should have said that we had a retarder on one fire truck with a six speed Allison. With almost 10,000 lbs of water and fuel, it was pretty easy to have the warning light turn on when going out of town on campaign fires. Worked slick around town.

Reply #14
I prefer a jake break: I'll jump in and provide my 2 cents on jake brakes - 98% of our fire truck fleet (approx 400 rigs) use a jake brake or a similar engine brake. My own experience of driving fire engines with jakes for 30 years is that they...

Reply #15
The disk brakes are somewhat cold blooded especially if the coach has not been driven recently.  Rotors I think get surface rust on them.  Need to be warmed up and deglazed before they can be relied upon if really needed.

Hence the factories wider...

Reply #16
Is this discussion confusing 'engine compression braking' and 'exhaust braking'?

'Jake'obs Company makes both types and both could be called 'engine Jake brakes'  

Cities sometimes outlaw engine compression Jake brakes because of the brap brap...

Reply #17
An engine brake also known as a Jake break pops a valve open before top dead center on the compression stroke to eliminate the rebound of the compresson created. Where as an exhaust brake works like a potato shoved up the tailpipe. Exhaust brakes...

• jcus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #18
An engine brake also known as a Jake break pops a valve open before top dead center on the compression stroke to eliminate the rebound of the compresson created. Where as an exhaust brake...

Reply #19
When people ask me how I like our exhaust brake, I tell them "It's not a retarder, and it's not a Jake, but it's better than nothing!"

We've crossed the Rockies 3 times pulling 4000 pounds of towd, and lived to tell about it.

4th gear at 45-50 mph...

Reply #20
Jacobs invented the Jake Brake many years ago but installed on Detroits and Cummins starting in 1961. Jacobs Vehicle Systems now produces the Jake Brake as well is using their name for an advantage in marketing the exhaust brake that restricts...

Reply #21
Thanks everyone for your help. I am sorry for not getting back to you so late but I was having a hard time getting on the forum due to username and password. Issue. Any pointers for a newbie driving in the mountains with a retarder?

Reply #22
Thanks everyone for your help. I am sorry for not getting back to you so late but I was having a hard time getting on the forum due to username and password. Issue. Any pointers for a newbie...

Reply #23
We push 7% downhills often: I figure my intended speed before the grade and let the six speed gear down them hit the Pac Brake and toggle on/off as needed. Only have to use the main brakes for pokie RVs w/toads or semis. Works perfect!  ^.^d  Brett...

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #24
When this link first started up I was in the process of buying a U320 and thought a Jake would be nice. Now that I have a U320 I am
looking for a good used Jake so I can install it in the spring. I love the retarder but on the long grades I would...