Skip to main content

Topic: Transmission damper failure (Read 2133 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Transmission damper failure
Reply #50
And, I have to believe that running much out of correct RIDE HEIGHT would materially increase stress/wear.

Anyone have a conciliation on that?

Reply #51
 I'm sure that the ride height primary parameter is drive shaft angle.   Maybe FT had a miscalculation of engine- drive shaft angle and found a driveshaft speed variance that produced a vibe .
 Once the trans locks up in the taller gears , the...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Reply #52
Properly designed rear axle to transmission installation should allow different operational heights without incurring any undue transmission or U joint wear. Using a conventional driveshaft, three degrees is considered maximum for normal...

Reply #53
Remembering some folks had engine mounts adjusted by FT to correct an alignment problem.  This would most likely be necessary if centerlines of trans and rear end aren't parallel=vibration.  Makes me wonder....

Reply #54
Crawled under the coach this morning, prybar in hand.  Pried on the harmonic balancer, movement is max of 1/32".  No change over 70 k miles driven, no weeps or seeps of oil. 36' coach. Total mileage now 155K, most of it towing 5K lb toy trailer. ...

Reply #55
Dodged the $4.5 CB bullet yesterday, Stewart and Stephens in Longview finished repairing the transmission damper vibration repair. The P3 carrier bearing had not been damaged, the bolts which I assume "hold the bearing in place" did need...

Reply #56
Irish!  Congratulations on your self made good luck!

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #57
Update on trans repair,took to shop Monday picked up Tuesday.They found the nut holding the bearing loose,inspected race,all
ok,installed new seal and put back together.Total charge was $900.00.The shop is G and W diesel service,in Memphis,they
are...

Reply #58
Just a thought here, If one has this problem, could the retarder be removed and a longer drive shaft connected to the transmission?  I do not know if I have this problem as I have never checked, but I do not have any leaks at the transmission,...

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #59
I had no leaks and no vibration but the nut holding the bearing was loose,it's easy to check Jerry.The damper should have no play.

Reply #60
I had no leaks and no vibration but the nut holding the bearing was loose,it's easy to check Jerry.The damper should have no play.
I will check it as soon as the weather improves.

Reply #61
Jerry we have the same coach as you, there was only a slight vibration of n the bedroom door. From the drivers seat with the air bag suspension you will not know that there is a vibration. Just happened the DW walked back to get something from...

Reply #62
UPDATE:
Was concerned about the slight play in our trans dampener on our 1997 U295 36' 3060 trans. After reading this blog, I was only slightly concerned with the play I felt (maybe 3/16th's" or less)

Talked to S&S service manager in Longview....

• Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 10:43:49 am by gracerace

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #63
Are they the only Alison shop in the area that can do the work?

Reply #64
Our coach is on the safety stands for the next week or two or three. Any thoughts about the validity of the prybar test while the coach is raised to the max?
Don

Reply #65
Are they the only Alison shop in the area that can do the work?

I asked Western States Cat 1st. They said they could do it, but didn't have the special tool to tighten P3 bearing. S&S said there...

Reply #66
Our coach is on the safety stands for the next week or two or three. Any thoughts about the validity of the prybar test while the coach is raised to the max?
Don

Don
When I checked mine the 1st...

Reply #67
Heard that damper is oil filled, not solid steel like it looks.
I believe that the three pieces of that style of damper are : outer container donut, a very, very, very viscous oil, and the...

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #68
All I can add is,the bottom of the seal is above the fluid level and mine was not leaking but loose,must have been not far from
getting looser and leaking.

Reply #69
All I can add is,the bottom of the seal is above the fluid level and mine was not leaking but loose,must have been not far from
getting looser and leaking.

Both S&S and RWC said very little oil...

Reply #70
Update:

You can read all above, so I don't know what they did, but I no longer have any harmonic vibration at any speed.
Just finished our 3400 mile trip, was awesome to drive at any speed above 62, all the way to 80 MPH, and didn't feel/ hear the...