Skip to main content

Topic: Transmission damper failure (Read 2196 times) previous topic - next topic

Transmission damper failure
Heading to Nag and MOT for a list of repairs and updates, my DW mentioned that the bedroom pocket door was vibrating (this would be a new feature!)
After three and a half days at MOT they were getting to the end of the list, they had done their...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.
  • Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 05:58:35 pm by "Irish"

Re: Transmission damper failure
Reply #1
Have seen posts on this issue where transmission replacement was necessary. 

Reply #2

I asked the service manager if I could have (as in pay fog) 15 minutes with Keith Risch to do a quick walk around and explain a few things to me.

I say that was money well spent.

• Texhub
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
Shared album - mark hubbard - Google Photos

(Do a search "1999 U270 " for my issues)

Make sure your transmission temperature gauge is working. The sender is located as you look thru drivers side hatch, straight ahead. On the elbow coming from...

Reply #4
Mark
Thanks, I will call them on Monday and talk with them. Unfortunately we had to leave the coach in Texas and flew back home to be back at work on Monday.
I always prefer to be there and see what is been done.
Thanks
David

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
I have to agree with you a low mileage coach is not a great thing.

Reply #6
Could someone explain the function of the "damper?"   Also, answer the following questions...

1.  Is it part of the transmission and thus serviced by Allison trained techs or part of the engine? 
2.  When they fail, what goes wrong?  It just looks...

Reply #7
Could someone explain the function of the "damper?"  Also, answer the following questions...

1.  Is it part of the transmission and thus serviced by Allison trained techs or part of the...

Reply #8
My recently learnt information is that it is considered part of the transmission and serviced by Allison.
It is there as a balancer to stop vibration
It has been an ongoing fail point in 96/97 thru approx 2000 U series Foretravels according to the...

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #9
Checked my damper play,it has play,looks like near 3/16",will try and find a shop around Memphis tomorrow,any ideas for shops
in the Memphis area.

Reply #10
My memory says that the 5:13 rear end gears may contribute to this issue as was reported here.

Regearing to 4:68 after the trans fix seems to have helped others here in the past.

I think FOT changed the ratio in later years

Reply #11
Does this apply to the U320 models, or is this a U270 & U295 model only issue?

Reply #12
Not 100% positive, but believe it is a 3060 issue, not 4060

• bbox
  • [*]
Reply #13
M.O.T. reported  a similar issue of vibration about a year ago, they test drove my 1999 U270 and reported a vibration issue, suggesting possible harmonic balancer bad.. They referred me but the Cummings shop which was booked for another 3 days....

Reply #14
If my memory serves me right (sometimes I don't trust it), it was a 36' issue (read short drive shaft angle). I did install a few of those balancers as a tech on those early gen coach's. I remember a few going to Allison also. Don't remember why....

• Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 11:42:36 am by gracerace

Reply #15
Perhaps some one in the NAC area who would like to get theirs checked at MOT can get an inspection by Keith Risch and ask him permission to take a video of it to post on YouTube for the education of all of those who may have coaches affected by...

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #16
As of now my gameplan is to call Longview shop in the morning and see if he can reccomend one of the Allison shops here over the other and go from there.

• Texhub
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #17
Hey Folk!
When I first posted as I was driving my new to me Rv had this same issue.
1. Vibration in butt as I passed thru and increased speed from 63 - upward.
2. Aubrey and Keith both lay on creepers,  with pry bars to show me the dampener movement...

Reply #18
Ouch Texhub sorry to hear that. Expensive.
I would like a picture of where you would use the pry bar to check for the movement. Anyone have that?
Thanks

Reply #19
Place the pry bar between the flywheel/ balancer and chassis member below it

Reply #20
Place the pry bar between the flywheel/ balancer and chassis member below it
You can see also if there is wear on either side from it walking around.. I am sure that is how Keith saw it.

Chris

• bbeane
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #21
Don't have any crossmembers near the back of my trans. I did check end play and up and down playing using a block of wood and pry bar all is good no noticeable play. I would of think with a 1/4 3/16 play the rear seal on the trans would be...

Reply #22
Don't have any crossmembers near the back of my trans. I did check end play and up and down playing using a block of wood and pry bar all is good no noticeable play. I would of think with a 1/4...

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #23
That would give you end play,I put the pry bar between the bottom of the damper and the 1 inch elbow coming out of the bottom
of the trans,it's about an inch away and without too much pressure got at least 1/8th inch up and down movement.

Reply #24
This might be a completely different issue but the symptoms sound a lot like the well documented P3 Carrier Bearing issue that late 90's FT's had.  It was a design issue with a recall that expired a long time ago.  Ours had to be fixed more than...