Skip to main content
Topic: Transmission damper failure (Read 2792 times) previous topic - next topic

Transmission damper failure

Heading to Nag and MOT for a list of repairs and updates, my DW mentioned that the bedroom pocket door was vibrating (this would be a new feature!)
After three and a half days at MOT they were getting to the end of the list, they had done their 40 point inspection to which I said make it 80 or 100 points, if it needs fixing it needs fixing. Yes they found more stuff like pitted plungers on the brake calipers (low mileage is not all it's cracked up to be).
I asked the service manager if I could have (as in pay for) 15 minutes with Keith Risch to do a quick walk around and explain a few things to me.
As we were looking at the primary fuel filter he turns his back and walks off (strange) returning with a 25" angled tip pry bar which he proceeds to insert between the chassis member and the transmission damper ( looks like a flywheel at the rear of the engine) the "flywheel" moves 3/16" with no real pressure and Keith says "hate to tell you, but you got a problem, possibly expensive"
There should be no play, he says to check this regularly especially in the 96/97 thru 2000 coaches.
Asked if I could drive back to Ohio and he said you won't make it!
Called Stewart and Stephenson in Longview who are very familiar with this Foretravel issue, they have worked on a lot of this age group coaches and they said if caught early and with minimal movement when tested possible it may be tightened for $1000 or if it requires a new outpost bearing about $4500.
The repair is less than a day if they have parts in stock. Should be fixed by the end of the week. Surprised I had not heard of this Issue on the forum , found some old posts.
Keith said once it manifests itself it deteriorates quickly.
Picture is the pry bar he used
David & Emma Roche
Dino (Golden Doodle)
1999 U270 WTFE 36' Build # 5534
Xtreme "Lights, Stripes & Roof"
Motorcade# 18321
Dayton, Ohio
Towd: Jeep Grand Cherokee
Two Townie Electra Bikes

Life is made to enjoy, the Foretravel helps!

Re: Transmission damper failure

Reply #1
Have seen posts on this issue where transmission replacement was necessary. 
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #2

I asked the service manager if I could have (as in pay fog) 15 minutes with Keith Risch to do a quick walk around and explain a few things to me.

I say that was money well spent.
1992 Foretravel Grand Villa
U225 SBID Build No. 4134
1986 Rockwood Driftwood
1968 S.I.A.T.A. Spring
1962 Studebaker Lark
1986 Honda VF700C
1983 Honda VF750C
Charlie, the Dog was broken out of jail 24 Oct 2023
N1RPN
AA1OH (H)e who must be obeyed.

Reply #3
Shared album - mark hubbard - Google Photos

(Do a search "1999 U270 " for my issues)

Make sure your transmission temperature gauge is working. The sender is located as you look thru drivers side hatch, straight ahead. On the elbow coming from transmission. It is a vdo sender. Very easy for tech to break it off.  They did to mine.
Your Rv will be on the fancy lifts. Best to be there. Because then you can take pictures of underside of your coach. Check steering for leaks, back of generator, damage to any underbody. I took expensive pictures as I walked 360.
Transmission fluid will be in small jugs. Watch how many you are charged for/used.
Good time to check air system for any issues in the dark places you normally will not see.
Tires, brakes. On and on.
Hotel rates can be gotten for very low cost. I stayed behind Panera resturant with Lowes on other side. Easy drive from Ss. 
I went with Allison factory rebuild transmission. 2 yr warranty. Can extend. Also had airbags changed, generator checked, Vr replaced. Any questions. You have my gm in pm.
Mark
1999 U270 40 #5518
USN. USPS.

Reply #4
Mark
Thanks, I will call them on Monday and talk with them. Unfortunately we had to leave the coach in Texas and flew back home to be back at work on Monday.
I always prefer to be there and see what is been done.
Thanks
David
David & Emma Roche
Dino (Golden Doodle)
Motorcade# 18321
Dayton, Ohio
Two Townie Electra Bikes

Reply #5
I have to agree with you a low mileage coach is not a great thing.
Peter and Frieda Morin
1999 36ft. U320 Foretravel
Build # 5436
1998 Suzuki Sidekick Sport

Reply #6
Could someone explain the function of the "damper?"  Also, answer the following questions...

1.  Is it part of the transmission and thus serviced by Allison trained techs or part of the engine? 
2.  When they fail, what goes wrong?  It just looks like a flywheel of some sort.
3.  How often do they fail?
4.  How does one check the damper for problems?

Thanks in advance,

George
The selected media item is not currently available.
George Hatfield

Never ever use World Line Motors of Nacogdoches for service!

Reply #7
Could someone explain the function of the "damper?"  Also, answer the following questions...

1.  Is it part of the transmission and thus serviced by Allison trained techs or part of the engine? 
2.  When they fail, what goes wrong?  It just looks like a flywheel of some sort.
3.  How often do they fail?
4.  How does one check the damper for problems?

Thanks in advance,

George
reply #10

U295 Driveline vibration issues
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.

Reply #8
My recently learnt information is that it is considered part of the transmission and serviced by Allison.
It is there as a balancer to stop vibration
It has been an ongoing fail point in 96/97 thru approx 2000 U series Foretravels according to the repair facility in Longmont Texas.
Once movement is detected there is only a short window before it starts to deteriorate seriously.
Will usually vibrate the rear of the coach unbeknownst to the driver
They say often less than a 1000 miles before it strands you on the side of the rd from when movement is found.
I am sure there are others with more knowledge than me.
David & Emma Roche
Dino (Golden Doodle)
Motorcade# 18321
Dayton, Ohio
Two Townie Electra Bikes

Reply #9
Checked my damper play,it has play,looks like near 3/16",will try and find a shop around Memphis tomorrow,any ideas for shops
in the Memphis area.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #10
My memory says that the 5:13 rear end gears may contribute to this issue as was reported here.

Regearing to 4:68 after the trans fix seems to have helped others here in the past.

I think FOT changed the ratio in later years
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #11
Does this apply to the U320 models, or is this a U270 & U295 model only issue?
David and Carolyn Osborn
1995 U320C SE 40' Build 4726 Feb 1995
FMCA 147762
Motorcade 17186

Reply #12
Not 100% positive, but believe it is a 3060 issue, not 4060

Reply #13
M.O.T. reported  a similar issue of vibration about a year ago, they test drove my 1999 U270 and reported a vibration issue, suggesting possible harmonic balancer bad.. They referred me but the Cummings shop which was booked for another 3 days. So they told me to keep the speed down around 55 MPH on the way back to Hot Springs AR. I went to the Cummings Dealer in Little Rock (near my home) and they told me it was a Allison transmission problem. I was referred to a Allison shop same day.  They wanted to take the retarder and trans out to check the harmonic balancer. I told them to try to do a temp fix since I had to go on a trip. ( It was about 100 deg also.) The mechanic said he tightened a nut for the harmonic balancer or trans / retarder,  also changed the transmission oil. If there was no further vibration on the way home I should consider it fixed. Cheap fix!  You may save money if they don't pull the trans! I drove to Albuquerque and back to Arkansas for the balloon fest and all went well. 
99 40' U270 #5574
2010 Honda Element
Hot Springs Village, AR.
K5IIK

Reply #14
If my memory serves me right (sometimes I don't trust it), it was a 36' issue (read short drive shaft angle). I did install a few of those balancers as a tech on those early gen coach's. I remember a few going to Allison also. Don't remember why. This was in the early 1990's

Our 36' coach has a slight (hardly noticeable) harmonic vibration at 64-70 MPH. I never drive it that fast anyway towing. 62-63 is the sweet spot for mileage. Doesn't bother me. Have driven it 70+ not towing, but never for very long periods.Not enjoyable for me. Mileage gets ugly fast!

I might add, correct ride height is very important on 36' coaches

I would venture to guess, if you drive them ( a 36') in that MPH range, it may cause some of this havoc. Just sayin, just my opinion. Our coach has 119K miles on it, with no play.
Chris
Chris and Tammy White  CDA Idaho
Previous owners 1997 U295 36' 3126 Cat 300 HP Build # 4998
Former Foretravel tech & RVIA certified tech
Former owner Custom Satellite home/RV satellites 
Former owner Vans LTD  van conversions
Unemployed, panhandler, drag racer NHRA #6348

Reply #15
Perhaps some one in the NAC area who would like to get theirs checked at MOT can get an inspection by Keith Risch and ask him permission to take a video of it to post on YouTube for the education of all of those who may have coaches affected by this potentially expensive issue. Even better, have him point out where it might help to tighten a fastener if there is play. Probably, most of us can figure it out on our own, but it could be very intimidating for a novice coach owner.
Don
The selected media item is not currently available.
Don & Tys
1999 U270 3602 WTFE #5402
Xtreme Stage 1 w/Headlight, Step Conversion, etc.
2009 Honda Fit Sport with Navi
Freedom is NOT "just another word for nothing left to lose"... with apologies to Kris Kristofferson

Reply #16
As of now my gameplan is to call Longview shop in the morning and see if he can reccomend one of the Allison shops here over the other and go from there.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #17
Hey Folk!
When I first posted as I was driving my new to me Rv had this same issue.
1. Vibration in butt as I passed thru and increased speed from 63 - upward.
2. Aubrey and Keith both lay on creepers,  with pry bars to show me the dampener movement with them prying between dampener and transmission. There was very visible movement. Also I observed a light leak at front of transmission.
3. Then began my saga of living at Mot and Fot to be able to get service at SS in Longview. (James is SM).
4. Short version. Found bellhousing cracked, replaced transmission with factory rebuild, transmission temperature sensor was broken off, not told. (Thats why I have posted part number VDO 323-050).
"I was told by Mot staff that this was a common issue with late 90 RV".
Drove home to Uvalde finally  July 13 after June 7 purchase. Having spent excessive CB. Between Mot, Fot, SS.
See photos on my first post this thread.
1999 U270 40 #5518
USN. USPS.

Reply #18
Ouch Texhub sorry to hear that. Expensive.
I would like a picture of where you would use the pry bar to check for the movement. Anyone have that?
Thanks
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
1500 Watts Solar 600 amp Victron lithium
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #19
Place the pry bar between the flywheel/ balancer and chassis member below it
David & Emma Roche
Dino (Golden Doodle)
Motorcade# 18321
Dayton, Ohio
Two Townie Electra Bikes

Reply #20
Place the pry bar between the flywheel/ balancer and chassis member below it
You can see also if there is wear on either side from it walking around.. I am sure that is how Keith saw it.

Chris

Reply #21
Don't have any crossmembers near the back of my trans. I did check end play and up and down playing using a block of wood and pry bar all is good no noticeable play. I would of think with a 1/4 3/16 play the rear seal on the trans would be showing some signs of leakage
Bruce, Linda, and Macy
Zoey RIP 1/20/19
1999 U295 40' build #5400
2017 silver Jeep Wrangler, 1260 watts of solar on top
Moving around the country

Reply #22
Don't have any crossmembers near the back of my trans. I did check end play and up and down playing using a block of wood and pry bar all is good no noticeable play. I would of think with a 1/4 3/16 play the rear seal on the trans would be showing some signs of leakage

I would say "pry bar" between trans case and balancer

Reply #23
That would give you end play,I put the pry bar between the bottom of the damper and the 1 inch elbow coming out of the bottom
of the trans,it's about an inch away and without too much pressure got at least 1/8th inch up and down movement.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #24
This might be a completely different issue but the symptoms sound a lot like the well documented P3 Carrier Bearing issue that late 90's FT's had.  It was a design issue with a recall that expired a long time ago.  Ours had to be fixed more than 10 years ago, outside of the recall period.  You might read through some of the threads on that issue.  Here's just one of many examples:

Replaced P-3 Carrier and Bearings