Skip to main content
Topic: New water filters (Read 1226 times) previous topic - next topic

New water filters

Got the dual canister water filter setup. And boy howdy, That slowed filling the tank to a glacial pace. The tank was filling so slowly that I thought I had a water leak on the fill side. Fortunately that wasn't the case. I tried blowing into the filter input side and I were a grunting to get any water to trickle out the carbon side.
Jerry & Nona and Kimeru the cat that thinks she's a dog
1998 36' WTFE U320  #5314 Motorcade #17711
USAF 1975-1995
2019 Subaru Crosstrek 'toad'
2003 Subaru Legacy touring car
jerry Fincher | Flickr

Re: New water filters

Reply #1
Micron size? 
Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Lifetime Escapees' member SKP 82766
Former 1999 30IB Lazy Daze (2000-2004)
Former 2003 U320 (2004-2016)
Former 2017 LTV Unity (2017-2023)
Shopping for our next coach

Reply #3

There ya go.  That'll throttle down pretty much anything.  Solid carbon block?

I think we generally run a 10-20 micron particulate and a GAC filter from rvwaterfilterstore.com.
Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Lifetime Escapees' member SKP 82766
Former 1999 30IB Lazy Daze (2000-2004)
Former 2003 U320 (2004-2016)
Former 2017 LTV Unity (2017-2023)
Shopping for our next coach

Reply #4
Are you sure it is .5 micron, not 5 micron.  That is a REALLY FINE filter.
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #5
There ya go.  That'll throttle down pretty much anything.  Solid carbon block?

I think we generally run a 10-20 micron particulate and a GAC filter from rvwaterfilterstore.com.
Solid block and 5 micron sediment, Then a water softener. I figured there would be a slow down. But holy cow, These made a liquid traffic jam.
On the plus side. Our water will be wonderfully soft and safe. And If I turn my back for a few minutes while filling. It won't be a disaster so quickly.
USAF 1975-1995
jerry Fincher | Flickr

Reply #7

Do you have a "sediment only" pre-filter of around 5 microns?  If not, suspect the .5 one will clog up pretty quickly.
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #8

I use this one
Amazon.com: Watts (GAC10N/KDF-RV) Carbon Replacement Cartridge: Automotive

And this one
Amazon.com: Watts FM1A975RV 10" Sediment Filter Replacement Cartridge:...

In this
Amazon.com: Watts 520022 RV/Boat Duo Exterior Water Filter with Garden Hose...

Reply #9
Do you have a "sediment only" pre-filter of around 5 microns?  If not, suspect the .5 one will clog up pretty quickly.
Yes I do Brett. I have a 5 micron in a double canister setup W/stand from the RV water filter store.
USAF 1975-1995
jerry Fincher | Flickr

Reply #10
This is the system that I just bought. RV essential sysytem
USAF 1975-1995
jerry Fincher | Flickr

Reply #12

I use this in an appropriate housing.

Pentek DBC-10EX2 Bacteriostatic KDF/GAC Filter (10" x 4.5") Amazon.com: Pentek DBC-10EX2 Bacteriostatic KDF/GAC Filter (10" x 4.5"):...

Tom Lang K6PG (originally  KC6UEC)
and Diane Lang
2003 38 U295 build 6209
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Ecodiesel
still have tow-ready 2006 Acura MDX 
Temple City, California
Motorcade 16681 California Chapter President
SKP 16663 member of SKP Park of the Sierra, Coarsegold California
FMCA F071251
Retired electrical and electronic engineer

Reply #13
I thought it was good to keep Chlorine in the tank and filter it out for drinking & ice
Frank & Daisy
NO LONGER  "looking for the perfect Foretravel
36' or less non slide preferred."  She has been found and is ours.
2003 U320 36' non slide  Unit 6103
Cummins ISM 450
Allison 4000MH

Reply #14
I thought it was good to keep Chlorine in the tank and filter it out for drinking & ice
Probably, But I hear of more folks getting sick from the untreated well water at some campgrounds than from their own tanks. I did a system chlorine flush using spa chemical. For our tanks, One teaspoon of spa treatment will kill everything. It has much higher concentrations of available chlorine than household bleach. And if one isn't careful of what household bleach they buy. You will also get fragrances and anti-splash additives as well.
USAF 1975-1995
jerry Fincher | Flickr

Reply #15
For sanitizing wells, so I would assume same applies to RV water systems, you should only use Clorox brand standard bleach.
The perfumed bleach is not safe for drinking water sanitation. 
Generic bleaches are generally not made with the same ingredients as Chlorox, sodium hypochlorite and sodium hydroxide and do not always sanitize as effectively.
David & Emma Roche
Dino (Golden Doodle)
1999 U270 WTFE 36' Build # 5534
Xtreme "Lights, Stripes & Roof"
Motorcade# 18321
Dayton, Ohio
Towd: Jeep Grand Cherokee
Two Townie Electra Bikes

Life is made to enjoy, the Foretravel helps!

Reply #16
We have the same system. Slowed us down some, but we didn't get super slow until we added an iron filter. Only really noticeable in the shower (but we run a very low flow shower head as well) and when filling the tank. We also run a salt-less water softener.... so we have a total of 4 canisters! Water is so good we may even ditch the Berkey! Or get new filters and store the thing for future emergencies!
Christine & Jimmy
Nomadic, Full-time Life in Progress...
1997 U295/36/C8.3
600 AH BB-LiFePo/1080 Watts Solar
2020 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
** Social media: curiosity-in-motion

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. ~Dorothy Parker~

Reply #17
We have the same system. Slowed us down some, but we didn't get super slow until we added an iron filter. Only really noticeable in the shower (but we run a very low flow shower head as well) and when filling the tank. We also run a salt-less water softener.... so we have a total of 4 canisters! Water is so good we may even ditch the Berkey! Or get new filters and store the thing for future emergencies!

I get the feeling that some folks think I was complaining/not happy. I was just curious if the flow rate slow down was from those filters.  I'm not bothered by a slower fill, Being in a hurry and motorhoming is an oxymoron.

The only time I use tank water for drinking is if it's run through the coffee maker, microwave or water boiler for hot chocolate. Otherwise it's bottled.
USAF 1975-1995
jerry Fincher | Flickr

Reply #18
I get the feeling that some folks think I was complaining/not happy. I was just curious if the flow rate slow down was from those filters.  I'm not bothered by a slower fill, Being in a hurry and motorhoming is an oxymoron.

The only time I use tank water for drinking is if it's run through the coffee maker, microwave or water boiler for hot chocolate. Otherwise it's bottled.

I did the math and add 18 ml of Clorox when I fill my 88 gallon water tank.  The under sink drinking water filter takes care of the chlorine taste.

We have spent quite a bit of time in State parks, and while on a walk I found one park's water tanks.  That's when I began adding chlorine.
1992 Foretravel Grand Villa
U225 SBID Build No. 4134
1986 Rockwood Driftwood
1968 S.I.A.T.A. Spring
1962 Studebaker Lark
1986 Honda VF700C
1983 Honda VF750C
Charlie, the Dog was broken out of jail 24 Oct 2023
N1RPN
AA1OH (H)e who must be obeyed.

Reply #19

Schedules are for others.

But.  If you want a higher flow rate from your sub-micron filter element, why not hook as many as you like in parallel?
1992 Foretravel Grand Villa
U225 SBID Build No. 4134
1986 Rockwood Driftwood
1968 S.I.A.T.A. Spring
1962 Studebaker Lark
1986 Honda VF700C
1983 Honda VF750C
Charlie, the Dog was broken out of jail 24 Oct 2023
N1RPN
AA1OH (H)e who must be obeyed.

Reply #20
Schedules are for others.

But.  If you want a higher flow rate from your sub-micron filter element, why not hook as many as you like in parallel?
Slow(ish) like me is fine.  :))
USAF 1975-1995
jerry Fincher | Flickr

Reply #21
I'm rethinking more water filtration set up in the coach. Like many I have the drinking water filter under the sink, as well as the prefilters on the inlet side. But want to increase the ability to filter from questionable sources.  How many of you have UV lights on your water line? Which one?
How about RO systems? We have a  RO at home for the sink. In the coach what happens to the waste water from such a system?
Anyone use the south of the border system from RV water store?
10 inch filters vs 20 inch?
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
1500 Watts Solar 600 amp Victron lithium
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #22
I'm rethinking more water filtration set up in the coach. Like many I have the drinking water filter under the sink, as well as the prefilters on the inlet side. But want to increase the ability to filter from questionable sources.  How many of you have UV lights on your water line? Which one?
How about RO systems? We have a  RO at home for the sink. In the coach what happens to the waste water from such a system?
Anyone use the south of the border system from RV water store?
10 inch filters vs 20 inch?
I've run a whole house RO system on our coach for 8 years. I run 10" filters. One 10 micron sediment filter and 2 carbon filters through 2 RO 100 gallon per day filters run in parallel. It takes about 20 hours to fill our fresh water tank from empty. We also have a by-pass so that if we need to fill quickly at a water station it only runs through the sediment & carbon filters. Depending on the water fill station it's only 15 to 30 minutes to fill 105 gallons.

We love the RO. Our water always tastes the same. I'm very sensitive to water taste so the the RO system allows us to go campground to campground with no taste change in the water. We were just in Mexico for a month and drank our RO water with no issues the whole time. The down side is it takes a long time to refill. Not a big deal in a campground where we just let it run all the time. (it has an auto-shutoff) Only other issue is what to do with the waste water. I run it into my gray tank. It does require me to dump more often but in a campground not that big of a deal. I usually combine my gray/black tank via my 3rd valve. We almost never get any tank odor. You can also plumb into your sewer line and let it just run into the camp dump. If we are filling an empty FW tank or doing a lot of laundry or both I'll close the black valve and leave open the gray until I've built up the level in the FW tank.

I bought a system from RV Water Filter Store to start. I've added a RO pump to boost water pressure and added an Alkaline filter to put back show of the good things the RO filter removes.

100%AUTHENTIC LiquaGen Anti-Oxidant Alkaline/KDF55/ORP NEG Drinking Water...

There are several people on the forum with 10 gallon systems and only use RO for drinking water. Not really that much less expensive but much quicker to fill.

RO filters are just a membrane that has holes in it precisely sized to only allow molecules the size of water or smaller through. Water is one of the simplest molecules (H20) so is very small. All the bad stuff is much larger so doesn't get through membrane. It gets washed out with the waste water.

Filters use to be expensive ($70) but can now be picked up on ebay for less than $20.

Quality RO Reverse Osmosis Membrane Filter 50 75 100 GPD TFC TW30 1812 2012...

Buying a 4 or 5 stage whole house system would probably be the best way to start. PM me or ask here if you have questions.

see ya
ken
The selected media item is not currently available.ken & dori hathaway & Big Agnes
🍺1992 U300 GrandVilla WTBI #4150 FOT FBP 2011
✨6V-92TA DDEC Parlor Coach 350HP Series 92
🏁2011 Nissan XTerra Pro-4X