Skip to main content
Topic: Home one week with my new to me 1999 U320 (Read 727 times) previous topic - next topic

Home one week with my new to me 1999 U320

It's been a week since I got home from driving three thousand miles in rain, wind, snow and sunshine. The 320 handled it with
ease. The things I want to change is that the throttle has no retarder input and the retarder lever will take it out of cruise when applied.
It's been a great learning experience, like spending about an hour looking for the transfer-switch. I was fortune-enough to have the previous owner come with me as far as Spokane Washington. I learned a lot from him and we really enjoyed the trip together.
Peter and Frieda Morin
1999 36ft. U320 Foretravel
Build # 5436
1998 Suzuki Sidekick Sport

Re: Home one week with my new to me 1999 U320

Reply #1
I live fairly close to you Oldguy. If you PM me your phone # I may be able to help you with your throttle/ retarder issue.
Shady Lady
98 U270  34'

Reply #2
It's been a week since I got home from driving three thousand miles in rain, wind, snow and sunshine. The 320 handled it with
ease. The things I want to change is that the throttle has no retarder input and the retarder lever will take it out of cruise when applied.
It's been a great learning experience, like spending about an hour looking for the transfer-switch. I was fortune-enough to have the previous owner come with me as far as Spokane Washington. I learned a lot from him and we really enjoyed the trip together.

There is a relay in the compartment below the driver you can unplug. This with stop the retarder from activating the brake lights, which in turn with stop the cruise from kicking out. Just be sure to apply the brakes when in traffic lightly, so people know you are slowing.
You may find it in the area inside driver area, in front of brake pedal.Some early FT's came from the factory with no relay. When I installed them after market in the 90's, we didn't install the relay either.It wasn't required by FT.
Welcome aboard....BTW, saw a nice Ft going through Post Falls Idaho, may have been you?
Chris
Chris and Tammy White  CDA Idaho
Previous owners 1997 U295 36' 3126 Cat 300 HP Build # 4998
Former Foretravel tech & RVIA certified tech
Former owner Custom Satellite home/RV satellites 
Former owner Vans LTD  van conversions
Unemployed, panhandler, drag racer NHRA #6348

Reply #3
My U320 is all white and I went through Idaho a week ago Tuesday or Wednesday. What I want is when I pull on the retarder that it puts it out of cruise. The other thing I want is to do is disconnect the throttle from engaging the the retarder. 
Peter and Frieda Morin
1999 36ft. U320 Foretravel
Build # 5436
1998 Suzuki Sidekick Sport