Skip to main content
Topic: 2002 U320 4020 (Read 632 times) previous topic - next topic

2002 U320 4020

Hi Everyone!

New member here. My wife and I are looking at a 2002 U320 4020 at MOT. The number assigned to the coach by MOT is C2188A. I was wondering if anyone had any info on this coach. I'm somewhat nervous about buying a rig this old.  Any comments would be welcome. We looked it over pretty well and found a few minor things, but no more than would be expected.

The wife and I have been rving in our own gas rig for 5 years, and rented a few times before buying, but this my first diesel and Foretravel experience. We wanted to upgrade to a quality motorhome as we want to fulltime. Fortunately, we don't live to far from Nacogdoches.

Thanks in advance!
Bill

Re: 2002 U320 4020

Reply #1
Hi Bill -  I have no knowledge or history on this specific coach. However we struggled with the same concerns you are having when we purchased our 2002 U320 w/tag a couple of years ago. Yes, its an "aged motorhome" and we thought about the mechanicals and cost in our decision... We are new to this experience, just finished our first "long ride" of seven months prior to full-timing...

I can say this, our experiences with our 2002 Foretravel have been fantastic. Glad we pulled the trigger. We did budget a lot of $$$ to upgrade and take care of those mechanical areas that a 17 year old needs. These rigs are incredible machines, they take some time to get used to, all good... Very stable driving, cornering, braking and power, (ascending and descending the mountains).  For full-timing, the "comforts" are first-class,  and heating with an auquahot is a comfort  marvel. Just about everyplace we go people stop, complement and ask us about the Foretravel.  Its a unique coach...

If you look at threads on this forum, you'll find lots of information on areas to check when contemplating the used Foretravel purchase. I highly, highly recommend a third parity inspection to verify the condition. There are many resources that willl do this for a fee and its money WELL spent! Just search the forum.

The last point is: This forum and the members provide an incredible amount of help, detail and resources that I really feel differentiates the brand, especially with these older models.  Several members here gave us some great one on one insight on our purchase, it really helped!

If the layout works for you, get it checked out. Foretravels are known to have "good bones". These coaches were well ahead of their time technically, however there's some really cool upgrades you can now do to really bring these up to the latest technology and own a better than new coach, (budget $$). My opinion.

Best, Jeff
Jeff & Kristen
2002 U320 build #6039
Living the Dream!

Reply #2
Think Beeman covered everything pretty well.. wanted to add

Good bones.. these are not built like any other coach .. the bones make a difference you can feel by just walking into one of these fine machines.. you can hear ( or not hear) the quality... solid as a rock.. makes for a very stable machine even after 230k miles on mine.. they are in a league of there own.. solid coaches . Had another brand close in age and it was junk compared to this one.. when you walk into one of these coaches... listen to the outside sounds disappear as you go in .. my cabinets had 1 screw that was loose when I purchased mine and I have not had to mess with any doors since..

Quality and longevity is how these were thought out and constructed!!

Reply #3
Hi Everyone!

New member here. My wife and I are looking at a 2002 U320 4020 at MOT. The number assigned to the coach by MOT is C2188A. I was wondering if anyone had any info on this coach.

Looking at it, it appears to have had few updates other than the TV.  Original RV fridge, original headlights.  Original Prosine inverter.  Given those, price seems on the high end for an '02, but then with a "C" it is a consignment and the price is set by the owner.
Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Lifetime Escapees' member SKP 82766
Former 1999 30IB Lazy Daze (2000-2004)
Former 2003 U320 (2004-2016)
Former 2017 LTV Unity (2017-2023)
Shopping for our next coach

Reply #4
Bill- we don't have a U320 but 12 years ago we bought our 2001 U270 and we have lived full time in it since then.  I have put well over 100,000 miles on the coach since we purchased it and we did some upgrades since this is our home.  One of our favorite upgrades but not cheap are MCD day/night shades all through out the coach.  Very comfortable and useful in keeping privacy, heat and cold out, etc. 

I bought this coach with good bones so for my 20 year plan I can repair/ upgrade as needed and still have a good coach that is safe, comfortable, and fun.  We have not been disappointed .

Best of luck with your decision- buy good bones.                    ^.^d
Ted & Karen
2001 U270 36' - sold after 12 years full timing

Reply #5
We bought a 2002 u320 this last spring out of Kansas.  Ours has a tag, might worry a bit about weight without one and the bedroom slide.  Depends on how you plan to load it.  Happy to talk through our journey if you want to reach out.
Rod & Kris
Oregon
2002 U320
Build #6008
Powertech 12K

Reply #6
Sorry, I was looking at the wrong one.  Actually the one you are looking at is a twin to mine.  Angle kitchen, etc.  We have really enjoyed it so far, have done a couple of upgrades.  My Prosine bit the dust, you can't repair them, replaced with a Multiplus Victor, it's great.  Also upgraded the Air dryer, put new Agms in, replaced the radio, and a few other nits.  PO already had the caps done, a resi refrigerator, and hardwood floors.  Agree with the price being a bit high, but it's about were the PO of mine started.  Budget 10% for maintenance and upgrades.
Rod & Kris
Oregon
2002 U320
Build #6008
Powertech 12K