Skip to main content
Topic: Interested in buying a Foretravel- need some advice (Read 2137 times) previous topic - next topic

Interested in buying a Foretravel- need some advice

My wife and I are looking at a 1998 U270 coach for sale in our area.  We are new to Rving and also to Foretravel.  We are planning a 6 month road trip across the country with our three small children in June.  What are some of the things we should be aware of or considering when we look at this coach?  The coach has 55k miles on it and seems to have been well cared for, serviced regularly, used regularly.  The roof-top A/C units have been recently replaced.  Everything seems to be in good working order.  What are some big-ticket items that we may need to replace or fix during our ownership?  We know the coach will need new tires and have factored that into our budget.  We would certainly appreciate any input/advice you have to offer.  Thank you!

Re: Interested in buying a Foretravel- need some advice

Reply #1
Since you already know the tires need replacing...

Batteries, air bags (if original), check bulkheads and basement structure for corrosion issues, fuel lines (to both engine and generator).

55K miles on a 21 year old coach is around 2600 miles per year.  The average RVer travels closer to 7000 miles per year (according to surveys).  Don't fall into a "low mileage creampuff" fallacy with this one.
Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Lifetime Escapees' member SKP 82766
Former 1999 30IB Lazy Daze (2000-2004)
Former 2003 U320 (2004-2016)
Former 2017 LTV Unity (2017-2023)
Shopping for our next coach

Reply #2
I would suggest getting a third party inspection from an expert if you can.  Brett Wolfe or Keith Risch are probably the best but if you can't get them, get someone with experience to inspect for you.  Look for  issues like bulkhead separation, check the air system- braking and leveling, etc.  Regular service is good and may have taken care of many things, but check if you can.

That being said, my wife and I have lived in our 2001 U270 for 12 years full time, no end in sight.  Good bones............. ^.^d
Ted & Karen
2001 U270 36' - sold after 12 years full timing

Reply #3
Welcome! When we bought our foretravel 2 years ago it was our first ever Rv. It is a great machine. Some other things to factor in are fuel lines, air bags and shocks. Also have a knowledgeable to foretravels person inspect it prior to purchase. I didn't and wish I would of. (As mentioned above Keith relish or Brett Wolfe are great choices) Other than that enjoy it.

See ya down the road

Keith
The selected media item is not currently available.Keith & Jo
2003 U320T 4025 PBBS Designer series
Build 6203    Cummins 500hp
2000 U320 4010 WTFE / Build 5762 —Sold—
Motorcade #18070   
Pasadena, Texas
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara-Sunset Orange pearl coat
Don't argue with a fool, people watching might not be able to tell the difference.

Reply #4
Arrange an inspection from a Foretravel owner before you go any further. A lot of people didn't and wish they had.

The slow selling season has started so don't be in a hurry.

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #5
Carry an extra 20K in your wallet, seriously. They are awesome machines, with good bones.
Look at it another way. Pay $200-$300K for a similar looking coach with all the razoo blue tooth junk, but less quality, have it sit at the RV store you bought it from, while they sort it out for 6 months to a year.
So say you pay $40-50$K (the market) on this coach, and spend another $20K, look what you will have. A quality coach you can add blue tooth to for $100.00. Just sayin'
That 98 coach was probably $275K  new, 21 years ago

Chris
Chris and Tammy White  CDA Idaho
Previous owners 1997 U295 36' 3126 Cat 300 HP Build # 4998
Former Foretravel tech & RVIA certified tech
Former owner Custom Satellite home/RV satellites 
Former owner Vans LTD  van conversions
Unemployed, panhandler, drag racer NHRA #6348

Reply #6
Parkers, are you mechanical inclined that includes some knowledge of 12 volt and 120/240 volt systems?

Reply #7
Good luck in your adventure.

Lot's of systems.  Pick a topic mentioned above and use the Search function.  Read, read and read some more,

7 years and two FTs later - still reading.

I didn't know how to start our first coach and learned along the way - with the help of a bunch of the FoFum members here.  Couldn't have lasted this long without them. 

Have you seen this:  1998 Foretravel U270 Specifications

:D

Scott & Carol Seibert
2001 42' double slide U320 - Sold
Previous - 2002 36' U320

Reply #8
+5 on all of the above,  and I'm sure the same for comments to come.
 The combined knowledge, friendly nature and desire to help found on this board is unmatched.  Ask a question and be prepared for many answers.
 Ask me how I know.

Welcome and good hunting.
In restless dreams I walked alone.
Narrow streets of cobblestone.

'93 U225
Build 4337
'14 CRV Toad

Reply #9
To me. these coaches lend themselves well to 2 people with an occasional guest. Not sure I would want to use them with small kids. Just not set up well for that. Although some have done it, but I wouldn't. There are other types of RV's that have a better setup for that kind of travel.
As Michelle says, the low mileage might be a concern.
Have a chunk of cash set back to help through the rough stuff. These coaches are maintenance intensive.
But they are built well, and will take you a long way in comfort.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
1500 Watts Solar 600 amp Victron lithium
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #10
Where are you,always a forum member nearby.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #11
Where are you,always a forum member nearby.

Don't listen to John44, or the next thing you'll be doing is driving a Foretravel!!    ;D
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
1500 Watts Solar 600 amp Victron lithium
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #12
Please don't take any of the above comments as a negative.  Just some advice on how to purchase a great Foretravel coach.
We bought ours 14 years ago, it was 11 years old and had only 30,000 miles on it. It had been meticulously maintained. The coach had been stored in an air conditioned garage. I replaced the belts, tires, and batteries and it was good to go. If the coach was not subjected to ice and snow covered roads or salt water air, corrosion shouldn't be a negative.  Happy Trails.  ^.^d
The selected media item is not currently available.
Gerry & Brenda
CHARLOTTE HARBOR, FL
1994 Grand Villa - # 4466
U300 Unihome - 6V92 Detroit
4 speed Allison - Jake Brake

Reply #14
Thank you, all, for the quick and thorough responses.  We live in Mechanicsburg, PA (outside of Harrisburg).  The coach we are interested in is in Elverson, PA (outside of Morgantown).  Any forum members close by?

Reply #15
In upper left of a page, hover over "Community".

Click on "Member Map".
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #16
Lots of great advice already posted. I like the 6-4-2 analogy.

6 for drinks
4 for dinner
2 for sleeping.
1993 U300 40ft GV SE
Build # 4344

Western NC mountains

Reply #17
This set up may work for you.

1999 36' U320 Bunkhouse
1993 U300 40ft GV SE
Build # 4344

Western NC mountains

Reply #18
Lots of great advice already posted. I like the 6-4-2 analogy.

6 for drinks
4 for dinner
2 for sleeping.

Yup, same as a boat:
Drink 6
Feed 4
Sleep 2
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #19
When the salesman says it will sleep six remind him there's only one bathroom.

Reply #20
Not hijacking thread but a 95 for 20k on Facebook marketplace in magnolia Mississippi.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #21
The coach we are interested in is in Elverson, PA (outside of Morgantown). 

Road salt!  Definitely have someone who understands Foretravel structure inspect the bulkheads and basement.
Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Lifetime Escapees' member SKP 82766
Former 1999 30IB Lazy Daze (2000-2004)
Former 2003 U320 (2004-2016)
Former 2017 LTV Unity (2017-2023)
Shopping for our next coach

Reply #22
welcome to the group of Foretravel owners, we were in your position this spring and bought a 99 U270 no slide, 50,000 miles, in great condition, it had lived its life primarily in Louisiana and Texas, the PO had just put new tires belts and batteries in it and it was in great condition.
We have put about 10CB in necessary maintenance shocks, airbags, fuel lines, brakes (which looked perfect) transmission damper.
Brett Wolfe - on the forum does inspections if you find a coach in the Texas area, when we were at MOT recently we discovered that Keith Risch (936) 462-3764 who we knew does inspections will fly to where you have a coach that needs inspecting, well worth it.
David & Emma Roche
Dino (Golden Doodle)
1999 U270 WTFE 36' Build # 5534
Xtreme "Lights, Stripes & Roof"
Motorcade# 18321
Dayton, Ohio
Towd: Jeep Grand Cherokee
Two Townie Electra Bikes

Life is made to enjoy, the Foretravel helps!

Reply #23
I have no problem recommending Brett Wolfe for a pre-purchase survey.  And you will find it to be money well spent given the purchase price and the potential for finding what I politely call deferred maintenance.  These Foretravel models use a sophisticated air bag suspension, and the industry standard air brakes are more involved than you first think.  Foretravel also lead the industry by building their own chassis in their search for lightness and rigidity.  They achieved both but there is a possibility for a rust problem.  The rust problem can be repaired, a Forum member recently repaired his all by himself since the materials used are standard and readily available and there is still factory support, as was with Rolls Royce products of old, you can send your Foretravel back to the factory for refreshing.

This being said, Foretravel coaches of this vintage bring an understated elegance to RV design and construction.  We purchased ours this February past, it being our third RV, and are very satisfied with our decision.

I suppose bunking the children in the through bays isn't an option?

1992 Foretravel Grand Villa
U225 SBID Build No. 4134
1986 Rockwood Driftwood
1968 S.I.A.T.A. Spring
1962 Studebaker Lark
1986 Honda VF700C
1983 Honda VF750C
Charlie, the Dog was broken out of jail 24 Oct 2023
N1RPN
AA1OH (H)e who must be obeyed.

Reply #24
Yes for Brett, but he does not travel to Pennsylvania , that is unless it's a new service he is offering
David & Emma Roche
Dino (Golden Doodle)
1999 U270 WTFE 36' Build # 5534
Xtreme "Lights, Stripes & Roof"
Motorcade# 18321
Dayton, Ohio
Towd: Jeep Grand Cherokee
Two Townie Electra Bikes

Life is made to enjoy, the Foretravel helps!