Skip to main content

Topic: 2003 U320 Chassis batteries (Read 723 times) previous topic - next topic

2003 U320 Chassis batteries
Hey there fellow FT RVers!
Anyone ever changed out chassis batteries on an 38' FT 2003 U320? I located 3 Group 31 Deka batteries underneath the coach at the vent/grate behind the wheels on the driver's side (near the engine compartment)....

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: 2003 U320 Chassis batteries
Reply #1
Might that cylindrical tank be the muffler?

If so, and you want to go down the "one thing leads to another" rabbit hole, search the forum for "resonator".  More work and $, but it does make servicing the batteries MUCH easier on an '03 U320  ;)

Reply #2
Michael,
Yes, I had mine replaced. Took one look at the situation and promptly went to local battery store and said, " please replace my chassis batteries". No extra charge to replace the batteries.

• rbark
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
I agree with Michelle said. So much easier with the old muffler gone.

Reply #4
Are you sure that is muffler and not transmission cooler? I don't know if they (Foretravel) changed the location on the 03 model But on 99 model the muffler is on left(driver side) and trans cooler is on right (Passenger side) right behind the...

• jcus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
Are you sure that is muffler and not transmission cooler? I don't know if they (Foretravel) changed the location on the 03 model But on 99 model the muffler is on left(driver side) and...

Reply #6
Ok, so I want to change the batteries.  2002 u320, I can see them, how do I get them out with the muffler in place.

Rod

Reply #7
Hey there fellow FT RVers!
Anyone ever changed out chassis batteries on an 38' FT 2003 U320? I located 3 Group 31 Deka batteries underneath the coach at the vent/grate behind the wheels on the...

Reply #8
Neil,

A fantastic write up.  I'm encouraged to try.  I may well look at a resonator upgrade as well.

Thanks so much.  Love this Forum!

Rod

Reply #9
Neil,

A fantastic write up.  I'm encouraged to try.  I may well look at a resonator upgrade as well.

Here's ours (note that we did swap the original Aero 5050XL for a Magnaflow not too many...

Reply #10
You make it easy Michelle.

Rod

Reply #11
What Magnaflow did you buy?

Reply #12
Thanks to all for your comments!

Michelle, it might be the muffler but not sure! After searching 30 min for the batteries with limited time I did not inspect. I will confirm next time I'm up there.

Horace, thanks for the suggestion. Your local...

Reply #13
What Magnaflow did you buy?

I will have to check our records - I do know it was basically the same dimensions as the Aero 5050XL

Reply #14
03's have start batteries inboard and slightly fwd of the muffler on drivers side. I replaced my muffler with a resonator and this makes start battery change out much easier, and gives you some...

Reply #15
Our eBay records say 12774 - 30" long, 24"body, 5" inlet and outlet

Amazon.com: MagnaFlow 12774 Exhaust Muffler: Automotive

Reply #16
Not all '03's are configured that way Jim.  Mine are behind the compartment door that's curbside just ahead of the rear tires, along with the Haldex air dryer.

Might be difference between...

• jcus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #17
Not all '03's are configured that way Jim.  Mine are behind the compartment door that's curbside just ahead of the rear tires, along with the Haldex air dryer.
You are right, should had...

Reply #18
Yes, the design and lay-out on the 38 foot chassis with tag axle was quite unusual. The chassis batteries on this model were a real challenge to access.

Reply #19
So this brings me to the conundrum deciding to tow or do it myself.

Do what ever you can to keep from having the coach towed. Chances are if towed you will have more problems than just...

Reply #20
Try to get the generator running so it can charge the house batteries and then use the boost switch to get the engine started.

Reply #21
Yes, concentrate on getting the genset running.  It can dump a large charge in the batteries.  When it's running engage engine preheat.

Now might be a great time to try one of the ultracapacitor jump starters, even though it seems dubious they are...

Reply #22
Dear RV folks,
Thanks to all for suggestions to help with our battery problems. I did manage to start the coach up by running the generator for 6+ hours and boosting with house batteries.

This was after I attempted to remove the chassis batteries...

Reply #23
Jumper cables (#1 gauge) will start the diesel after connecting to a car and fast idling for a few minutes. I just noticed a 20 foot set of #1 cables for $30 at a local store yesterday.

P

Reply #24
Jumper cables (#1 gauge) will start the diesel after connecting to a car and fast idling for a few minutes. I just noticed a 20 foot set of #1 cables for $30 at a local store...