Skip to main content
Topic: Preparing Coach for Winter Storage...especially the aquahot (Read 568 times) previous topic - next topic

Preparing Coach for Winter Storage...especially the aquahot

I just purchased a 1997 U320 ....in time for a freeze in this area with temps expected to dip to 25F in the next couple of nights.

What is the best way prepare the coach for storage in freezing temps?  I ran pink RV antifreeze through the cold water lines, but could not get water out of  the hot water side.  I did this by connecting a hose to the inlet side of the water pump and letting it pull in the antifreeze.

Also concerned about ensuring the aquahot is protected.  My searches have not turned up much helpful info, so any guidance is appreciated.
40ft 1997 U320

Re: Preparing Coach for Winter Storage...especially the aquahot

Reply #3
My water pump bay looks different than the one in the instruction photo.  I do not see a tank, which I assume is pressure tank of some kind.  It is located in a different place on a 1997 U320 or did a PO remove it?  The bay just has the pump, a mess of pex tubing and what looks like a couple of regulators.

I opened all drains last night, then before starting with the antifreeze this morning, I closed them.  I think I hooked to the inlet side of the pump and got water out of the cold side of all facets, but nothing out of any hot side.

When I open drains now, including the ones in the aqua hot bay, the pink fluid drains out.  Does this mean the aqua hot is filled with antifreeze?

The coach is in storage about 30 minutes from the house,  Heading back over there to take care of any items I can today before the incoming weather.
40ft 1997 U320

Reply #4
If you have a Splendide, don't forget to winterize it with pink antifreeze as well.
Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Lifetime Escapees' member SKP 82766
Former 1999 30IB Lazy Daze (2000-2004)
Former 2003 U320 (2004-2016)
Former 2017 LTV Unity (2017-2023)
Shopping for our next coach

Reply #5
If you have a Splendide, don't forget to winterize it with pink antifreeze as well.
We do have a Splendide, but have not figured out how to winterize it yet.  Freeze is Monday night, so gotta get that done tomorrow afternoon.
40ft 1997 U320

Reply #6
We do have a Splendide, but have not figured out how to winterize it yet.

From just 5 days ago on the forum  Winterizing Splendide & domestic fridge
Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Lifetime Escapees' member SKP 82766
Former 1999 30IB Lazy Daze (2000-2004)
Former 2003 U320 (2004-2016)
Former 2017 LTV Unity (2017-2023)
Shopping for our next coach

Reply #8
see attached

2000 GV320 4010 build #5712  2019-?
1999 Bounder 2000-2008
Bardstown, KY
🥃The Bourbon Capital of the World🥃

Reply #9
Going down into the mid 30's tonight and tomorrow night. I ran the diesel aqua hot for 30 min tonight, then put on the electric heater on it. Both Attwoods are on heat pump mode for now.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
1500 Watts Solar 600 amp Victron lithium
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #10
Going down into the mid 30's tonight and tomorrow night. I ran the diesel aqua hot for 30 min tonight, then put on the electric heater on it. Both Attwoods are on heat pump mode for now.
Sounds like a prudent thing to do considering the cold snap coming.  Local forecast is in the mid 20s for us.  I started the diesel aqua hot, but it blew a lot of smoke, so had to turn it off and do not have electric at the storage location.  :(  I guess next on the list is servicing the diesel burner.
40ft 1997 U320