Skip to main content
Topic: Another Newbie question...where is the aqua hot (Read 619 times) previous topic - next topic

Another Newbie question...where is the aqua hot

Just purchased the coach and aqua hot puts out quite a lot of smoke.  Based on what I have read in other posts, I think the burner nozzle needs to be replaced....or a general service, but I am not sure where to locate the aqua hot.  It is behind a panel?

I see many are happy with Rudy, but I am not close enough to his location at the moment, so will will attempt this as DIY.

Thanks

David
40ft 1997 U320

Re: Another Newbie question...where is the aqua hot

Reply #1
If anywhere the area (SE side of Houston), worth a trip there.  Rudy is THE MAN on Aqua hot systems.
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #2
Just purchased the coach and aqua hot puts out quite a lot of smoke.  Based on what I have read in other posts, I think the burner nozzle needs to be replaced....or a general service, but I am not sure where to locate the aqua hot.  It is behind a panel?

I see many are happy with Rudy, but I am not close enough to his location at the moment, so will will attempt this as DIY.

Thanks

David
If you watch it done you could probably do it DIY the second time. There are some things you can't find on the forum about servicing one.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #3
On my 1999 36' U320 the aquahot is in the basement at the middle of the coach  between the battery/fuel tank on drivers side and propane/fuel tank on passenger side.  The access is from the basement compartment just behind that.  There is a carpeted panel to the front of that compartment that pulls off.  The aquahot is in front of that panel.  There is also a stainless "pretty panel" as Rudy calls it that comes off with a few screws.  The Webasto burner and other components are then easily accessible.
Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
no longer 1999 36' U320 build #5522
2013 Rzr 570 & 2018 Ranger XP1000
2006 Lexus GX470
2011 Tahoe LT 4x4
Previous 1998 45' 2 slide Newell, 1993 39' Newell

Reply #4
If you watch it done you could probably do it DIY the second time. There are some things you can't find on the forum about servicing one.
Definitely agree.  Nothing like being able to see it done to pick up on the small things.
40ft 1997 U320

Reply #5
On my 1999 36' U320 the aquahot is in the basement at the middle of the coach  between the battery/fuel tank on drivers side and propane/fuel tank on passenger side.  The access is from the basement compartment just behind that.  There is a carpeted panel to the front of that compartment that pulls off.  The aquahot is in front of that panel.  There is also a stainless "pretty panel" as Rudy calls it that comes off with a few screws.  The Webasto burner and other components are then easily accessible.
Thanks.  I will take a look there.  Coach is in storage, so do not have ready access tonight.  In the interim, will order a nozzle.  Seems like all burners use the same nozzle.
40ft 1997 U320

Reply #6
Call Rudy, he can talk you thru it.  713 eight one 8-3234
Jimmy Freytag,  Ardmore, Ok
1999 36ft U320. — -SOLD—-
1988 40ft GV        1990 36ft U280
1993 40ft U280      1996 36ft U280
  TRAVEL WHILE YOU CAN THE TIME WILL COME
            WHEN YOU NO LONGER CAN.

Reply #7
Thanks.  I will take a look there.  Coach is in storage, so do not have ready access tonight.  In the interim, will order a nozzle.  Seems like all burners use the same nozzle.

Roll the joey bed/beds out, and have a pad or blanket to lay on. Have plenty of rags or paper towels ready.
Just sayin'
Chris
Chris and Tammy White  CDA Idaho
Previous owners 1997 U295 36' 3126 Cat 300 HP Build # 4998
Former Foretravel tech & RVIA certified tech
Former owner Custom Satellite home/RV satellites 
Former owner Vans LTD  van conversions
Unemployed, panhandler, drag racer NHRA #6348

Reply #8
Rudy can walk you through the repair on the phone, and supply parts needed.  He fixed me right up!
Mike
Mike Brady
'97 U320 SE. #5137
'13 Honda Fit
Willow Springs, MO

Reply #9
You'll want more than just the nozzle. Change the fuel filter. Go to You Tube and type in Aqua Hot service. I watched it twice.... then had Rudy walk me through it
He is DEFINATELY the MAN!
Glenn and Amy Beinfest
2001 36' U320
2014 Honda CRV

No Whining on the YACHT

Reply #10
There are a few cautions that you need to be aware of.  Rudy will tell you or a youtube might.  Things I have learned:

1) when you put the burner back after replacing the nozzle, be very careful to be sure you don't catch the wires between the burner and the frame. One of the "ears" for the eye-bolt really tries to catch the wires. I have done this a couple time and you get a lot of smoke in the cabinet when you fire it up.

2) when you tighten the nut on the back side of the burner do not over tighten.  it is like 20-INCH-pounds torque.  If you over tighten and break the eye-bolt it is truly a pain to replace.  With a unit as old as yours and mine someone else may have previously overtighten the bolt and it will break when you tighten it.

3) An 11" 1/4" extension will make it easier to remove the nut on the back side of the burner.  otherwise nearly impossible.

4) clamp the fuel line if you are changing the fuel filter.  Otherwise you will smell like diesel.

5)  The plate that holds the photocell/flame detector needs to be loose.  It should move freely.  It is supposed to suck up against the combustion chamber to seal it while the burner/blower is running.  If it doesn't seal you will burn up the combustion chamber and put a WHOLE lot of smoke in your basement.

Many other tips but these are a good start.  Oh it really is a tight squeeze if you are bigger than 150 pounds or so.  LOL
1998 U320 40'
2005 GMC Yukon
MC# 17609

Reply #11
Add to Steve's list, pull out the combustion chamber and wire brush the inside where it goes. Sometimes lots of carbon especially if it has been smoking. Careful to back up the nut where the nozzle goes, very expensive part.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #12
Don't forget to check the electrodes for proper gap.
Richard & Betty Bark & Keiko our Golden Doodle
2003 U320T 3820 PBDS
Build # 6215
MC # 16926
2016 Chevrolet Colorado 4X4 diesel

Reply #13
You can also you tube "aqua hot maintenance" and watch the movies!
Eric, Mary and Carl the jack russel terrorist
1997 U320, #5143, w/450 hp, 6.9 on the richter scale
Sammie the toad
Live Free or Die