Skip to main content

Topic: Pullies not quite aligned (Read 381 times) previous topic - next topic

• kb0zke
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Pullies not quite aligned
Several years ago we lost a hydraulic radiator fan. In the repair process the belt for the hydraulic pump was replaced - but with a six-ribbed one rather than the 8-ribbed one. (As I type this, I'm thinking the numbers may be off, but the result...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Pullies not quite aligned
Reply #1
Washers or make a shim to better support the pump over a larger area.  Aluminum is available in most box stores in a range of thicknesses.

Reply #2
The pump pulley is adjustable. Just loosen the bolts and tap the pulley in or out as needed. You will need to spray Liquid Wrench or a like lube on the area ahead of time.  The angle of the tensioner is critical. Have you checked it yet? If it's...

• Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 06:14:33 pm by wolfe10

Reply #3
Attachment of the correct 8 rib belt.

Reply #4
I used to take an eight rib belt and cut off one rib. Self-aligned and no further problems.

Reply #5
I just wanted to make it clear that while the crankshaft pulley and the pump pulley should be in the horizontal alignment, it's the idler pulley on the tensioner that is critical. While you may be able to get away with running the 6 rib belt and...

Reply #6
Here is an arrow showing where the small washer is located.

• kb0zke
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
Thanks, Pierce. I'll poke at it again in the morning.

When I bought the belt I ordered two - just in case.

What brand is your angle indicator? Looks like something I need to get.

Reply #8
Generic. Most hardware stores will have them. They should have a magnetic base. About $6. Here is an example: Dial Gauge Angle Finder Magnetic Protractor with Conversion Chart Polycast...

Ours was off 3 degrees. That's a lot!

Pierce

Reply #9
David your a tradesman if i recall, whip out your level, run it across the flats of one pulley use a $2 feeler gauge to measure the distance, move to the other pulley and measure the gap backwards. Your a smart guy, metal is the same as wood....

Reply #10
David,

I had the same situation with a 6 rib belt being used instead of an 8 rib. Pierce's solution with a 10 Cent washer aligned the pulley and tensioner up perfectly to allow the 8 rib belt being used. 

It also cured most of the bounce and...

Reply #11
When you find either an accessory pulley or tensioner mis-aligned, be sure to check the bracket to which they are secured.

I have run into brackets that were cracked, those that had one or more bolts loose.

Said another way, look for the ROOT CAUSE...

Reply #12
When you find either an accessory pulley or tensioner mis-aligned, be sure to check the bracket to which they are secured.
I have run into brackets that were cracked, those that had one or more...

• kb0zke
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #13
I bought an angle indicator the other day, so it promptly got cold and nasty outside. Today was much better, so I decided to check the pulley alignment with the new toy. "Toy" is the correct word. The angle didn't change - even as I moved the...