Skip to main content
Topic: Automatic generator switch (Read 554 times) previous topic - next topic

Automatic generator switch

How low do the house batteries have to go before the generator automatically fires up.
Is it percent or a voltage we look at.
Rick & MJ Berry
1998 U320 40'
Ohio

Re: Automatic generator switch

Reply #1
How low do the house batteries have to go before the generator automatically fires up.
Is it percent or a voltage we look at.
On our '00 U320 the 10kw PT Generator will auto start on low voltage 12.1/12.2 and run for four hours.
Dave and Nancy Abel
'00 U320 36' WTFE  Build #5669
'10 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Livingston, TX  SKP's Fulltiming

Reply #2
I have lithium batteries.
The problem is the stay max voltage even at ,20 percent.
I'm letting the batteries go down now to see if the generator kicks on.
Right now it is at 26 percent but still 12.9 volts.
Rick & MJ Berry
1998 U320 40'
Ohio

Reply #3
I have a Dyna-Gen model on my 1999 U320 but it is adjustable for start voltage, high voltage (shutoff), delay on, and run time by adjusting some potentiometers.  Easy to do with the manual and a voltmeter.  If I can find the manual I'll post it.
Rick, I'm sure you're aware of how quickly the voltage drops on Lithiums when they are nearly depleted?  Your BMS should prevent any damage if they get too low.  So for your coach you might want to adjust your auto gen start to just before your BMS shuts off your batteries, make sure your charger starts when power is on the coach for this to work.  And set the time limit to whatever time it takes to recharge your batteries or less. 
Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
no longer 1999 36' U320 build #5522
2013 Rzr 570 & 2018 Ranger XP1000
2006 Lexus GX470
2011 Tahoe LT 4x4
Previous 1998 45' 2 slide Newell, 1993 39' Newell

Reply #4
How do you know/find out at what voltage the gen will start?
Thanks
Chris
1999 U 320 DGFE
Build Number 5523
Chris & Elka Lang
In the field, Lonoke AR

Reply #5
I know mine will come on once the batteries get to 12.2v for a period of time, not just a minute or two. So to find out if your auto start works turn off shore power, turn on the inverter with a small load maybe small space heater, turn on lights and let it all go till your voltage gets to 12.1-2 volts and see what happens. Also make sure you set the generator sw on the dash to auto.
Bruce, Linda, and Macy
Zoey RIP 1/20/19
1999 U295 40' build #5400
2017 silver Jeep Wrangler, 1260 watts of solar on top
Moving around the country

Reply #6
How do you know/find out at what voltage the gen will start?
Thanks
Chris
Ten years ownership and observations of the battery/charging/generator systems.  I have  two Battery Voltage readouts plugged into the dash power outlets and  positioned so I can observe all the time.  It's my most used instrument.  Bruce outlined a great way to check out the systems and a good reminder too be sure generator switch is set to Auto. 
Dave and Nancy Abel
'00 U320 36' WTFE  Build #5669
'10 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Livingston, TX  SKP's Fulltiming

Reply #7
When am solar installed my lithium ion system they also removed per the previous owner's request the automatic transfer switches. I now have a manual transfer switch. I like it for its simplicity, but it does create issues for me with the automatic generator start. Even if it did start it wouldn't matter unless my switch was set to generator. So really I don't even worry about it. I monitor the voltage several ways. When the voltage gets down and the solar can't keep up, I'll fire up the generator, and flip the switch to generator. It does mean that I have to be a little bit more mindful of what my energy usage is, but I find that to be a good thing. I'm not sure I trust the mechanical and electrical components to do their job better than me. But that's just my perspective on my coach. it was installed again by a previous owner but I don't think I'd have it any other way.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
1500 Watts Solar 600 amp Victron lithium
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #8
Down to 15 percent.
12.8 volts
Rick & MJ Berry
1998 U320 40'
Ohio

Reply #9
My 2001 U320 has a Powerline monitor it allows me to select the voltage the generator starts at. It was set to 11.5 volts I changed it to 12.2 volts.
Safe Travels
Dave
2001 U320 40ft
Build #5867
2003 Tracker
VE7DOD