Skip to main content

Topic: Cummins ISC 350 Loss of Power (Read 672 times) previous topic - next topic

Cummins ISC 350 Loss of Power
I've traveled to Tampa, FL and toward the end of the first day I experienced a loss of power.  The engine runs fine, no black smoke, runs smooth, just no power.  I changed the fuel filters and added a biocide to the tank, thinking maybe I had bad...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Cummins ISC 350 Loss of Power
Reply #1
Check the lift pump. They fail frequently.

Pierce

Reply #2
Don (Don & Tys) has been fighting fuel delivery/reduced power/check engine light problems with his coach for some time.  I believe he has the same engine as yours?  If he doesn't see this thread and jump in, you might PM him.  He is a sharp guy...

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
Use a pressure gauge will tell you if have enough pressure. You could have a bad fuel line that closes up when you are using
a lot of fuel and when you ease off it opens up. A vacuum gauge put in front of the lift pump will tell you if that is...

Reply #4
I have a pressure gauge installed on the discharge side of the secondary filter. Our Detroit's lift pump is before the secondary filter. If you have Roger's software, you can monitor while driving in real time. Saves a lot of $$ in shop time.

Pierce

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
I changed out the lift pump 3 years ago before any issues as just did not want the leaking seal on them because of low sulphur fuel. So, not sure if mine was getting ready to fail. I do not seem to have any air in fuel problem with old lines.
Don...

Reply #6
Thanks for the replies, I was planning on replacing the fuel lines in January. 

Reply #7
If the fuel lines are good (as in replaced), the gear pump part of the CAPS assembly may be getting weak and or there might be an air leak on the suction side. There is a short rubber hose with crimped fittings that goes from the engine mounted...

Reply #8
Thank you all for your help.  I think I will try to have someone run diagnostics and pressures since i'm 1000 miles from home.  Does anyone know of a good service center in Tampa?

Reply #9
Thank you all for your help.  I think I will try to have someone run diagnostics and pressures since i'm 1000 miles from home.  Does anyone know of a good service center in Tampa?
I have no...

Reply #10
Paul Yasbeck is a Foretravel mechanic expert who is 1-1/2 hour away from Tampa in Leesberg, FL. ...If you can make it there.

Reply #11
I have had good luck with Cummins Coach Care facilities in finding and fixing my issues with my ISC350.  I am not a tech but I can tell you that Cummins found a problem and fixed it - the accumulator section of my CAPS fuel pump.  The other issue...

Reply #12
Thanks everyone for your help, just to give an update.  I did take the coach to the Tampa Cummins Coach Care facility here in Tampa, Paul Yasbeck said he was unable to work on the Cummins engine and suggested I take it there, very nice man by the...

Reply #13
Bummer. Was hoping that it was not bad. Good bunch of posts here: bad years for cummins caps pump - Google Search Some owners have converted the engines to the Bosch P pump. It's also expensive for the new kit but used pumps can be found and they...

• bbeane
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #14
Mine was 5600.00 5 years ago, parts and labor.

Reply #15

Reply #16
Spotted this:  CAPS Cummins Injection Pump | Fuel Pump | Thoroughbred Diesel
Might be worth a call.
jk
It's a remanufactured pump but has a one year warranty. It appears that all CAPS pumps...

Reply #17
I have seen a handful of new old stock caps pumps on eBay, but none of the part numbers showed as being appropriate for our engine build number. I don't know what differences there are, butter foretavel ISC was the top rated horse power version...

Reply #18
I was quoted $6,000 in Arizona for the whole CAPS pump- fyi.  Sorry you are having such an issue, but hopefully this will get it fixed once and for all.

Hope you get on the road soon....................... ^.^d

Reply #19
Thanks everyone.  They quoted $6,200 plus the lift pump.  I will let you know how it goes.

Reply #20
New pump or remanufactured? Warrranty?

P

Reply #21
New pump, 1 year warranty. 

Reply #22
I was told the pump had a 1 year/100,000 mile warranty.  Once you get fixed up and lighten the load in your wallet time to hammer down and get your miles worth out of the repairs.       That is a reasonable price since mine was quoted about 2...