Skip to main content
Topic: Using Bleach Cleaning Products and Grey/Black Holding Tanks (Read 773 times) previous topic - next topic

Using Bleach Cleaning Products and Grey/Black Holding Tanks

I've read the Forum's 60+ responses for search using bleach and cleaning. Seen various comments about using "Soft Scrub" with bleach for cleaning countertops, showers, and various other areas. Have also read comments about not getting bleach containing products into Gray/Black Holding Tanks due to rubber seal degradation. Have also read about the Geo Cleaning Method which states "USE WATER SOFTENER, DETERGENT, and CHLORINE BLEACH" and then later states the longer you can keep solution in tank, the better. So, we are asking what you veteran RV Owners due and also lean from the mistakes you have made and not re-live them. What do you use to clean the coach sinks, countertops, toilets, and showers?
Future Foretravel Owners
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Retired USAF, Retired DOD Civ's
FAA A&P, Indust. Eng., Acft Depot Lvl. Maint.
Larry and Becky Rountree

Re: Using Bleach Cleaning Products and Grey/Black Holding Tanks

Reply #1
I use a real simple product on all that stuff. Little hesitant to use an abrasive product like soft scrub. I use Scrubbing Bubbles Bathroom Grime Fighter. An SC Johnson product. Works great. Smells nice, cleans great. You can find it almost everywhere.
The Starship- 1990 Grandvilla Unihome U300 40ft
6V92 Detroit Diesel w/ 4 spd Allison w/ retarder. Build# 3575 , Foretravel# 17895
The Shuttlecraft- 2015 Ford Explorer
Steve ( N6EKV ) & Lori ( N6JTD ) Faries  w/ Marlee our precious pup.
Patterson CA.

Reply #2
Awesome. I use it to clean anything that Dawn won't. It smells powerful enough that I can't believe it's made in Cali.

I was immediately attracted to Awesome when I read that if would get rid of bloodstains.

Reply #3
Ive used the geo method for a few years,, works great ^.^d ... this motorhome, thelast one and the 5th wheel before that.. never had an issue and you wont get the smell

Reply #4
Good old borax, warm water to dissolve and no smell. Have used it in three rv's. One which over a hot Texas summer began smelling to high heavens. Nothing cut the smell. Then I was told about the borax, started with a half cup to a gallon of water. Then increased it slowly to 1 1/2 cups. Took about a month of work, but it cut that horrible smell.  Used since an no more black tank odors. Bit of work post dump as you do need to dissolve the borax. But well worth no smell.
Lynn and Linda Day and Harry the pug
RIP: Tank 01-2008 to 03-2020
2012 Nimbus 42' build 6555
ISX12-500hp
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
MC# 17723

Reply #5
What do you use to clean the coach sinks, countertops, toilets, and showers?

We use a 50/50% solution of Dawn and vinegar in a spray bottle.

Pamela
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters."

Reply #6
Simple green on hard surfaces, laundry soap in the black tank.
Well its allright, even if your old and grey.
Well its allright, you still got something to say

'93 U225
Build 4337
'14 CRV Toad

Reply #7
In the black and gray tanks been using "Happy Campers" for the last full timing year, and all I can say is, it works.  One tub lasts over a year.  Get it on Amazon.

On all corian surfaces, Clorox disinfecting wipes.  In toilet bowl and shower, hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle.  JWID.  Woody.
2001 4010 U320 build #5865 "Bluto-d-Bus" since 09/18
2006 Honda Element ESP Toad
Full timing since 2016 in Western MT
Copilot: Sitka
1975 GMC 260 Avion: sold

Reply #8

Been using for more than 10 years.  Happy Camper gets rid of odors, not cover up with perfume smell.  First used when toilet bowl seal started to leak, till we got home.  Saved my marriage.

Happy Campers Organic RV Holding Tank Treatment - 64 Treatments https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007S0LDME/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_hOS3DbBB5M623

97 U295 40, Build #5040, 6C8.3 325 HP
Oregon Continuous Traveler
Samsung Residential #RF20HFENBSR,
Xantrex SW2012, (3)AGM8D Hse, (2)AGM Grp24 Eng, Victron BMV-712, 1800w Solar 4 LG & 2 Sunpower
Extreme Full Body Pt w/hdlmps, new furn/floor, 4 down Lexus 2004 GX470 AWD curb weight 4,740 lbs
Prev: 1990 Barth, 10L 300 2 yrs; 91&92 Monaco Signature, 10 yrs, 10L C 300 &  6C8.3 300; 1997 ForeT 6C8.3 325 since May 2017.  Employed by Guaranty RV 14+ yrs.  Former VW New Car Dlr/Service Dlr, Sales Mgr, Rv Sales, and Service Adviser from 1968-2017
"Don't criticize what you can't understand" Bob Dylan

Reply #9
As we are big tea drinkers stains are ever present on the Corian countertops.  We use Clorox Cleanup on everything.  It contains bleach so keep off fabrics.  Keeps them white.

Keith
Keith, Joyce & Smokey the Australian Cattle Dog
1995 U320 SE Extreme 40' WTBI Build # 4780, with a Honda CR-V hopefully still following behind.
Motorcade # 17030
FMCA # F422159

Reply #10
In 40 years of RVing we have never put anything in the black tank except pee and poop and an occasional valve lubricant(like every 5 years) and nothing in the gray tank except wast water(carefully avoiding any garbage going down the drain.
Regards,
Brett

'99 42' Foretravel Xtreme
'14 Brown Motorsports Stacker
'05 Chevy SSR
'02 BMW R1150R

Reply #11
Thanks to all that have replied. We appreciate all the responses as we read other forums and see "YouTube" videos. Just want the straight scoop.
Future Foretravel Owners
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Retired USAF, Retired DOD Civ's
FAA A&P, Indust. Eng., Acft Depot Lvl. Maint.
Larry and Becky Rountree

Reply #12
In 40 years of RVing we have never put anything in the black tank except pee and poop and an occasional valve lubricant(like every 5 years) and nothing in the gray tank except wast water(carefully avoiding any garbage going down the drain.

Yup. We only used Dawn dish detergent, because it really does break down grase and keep it moving. I played around with some additives and the liquid water softener in the black tank ... but finally realized that the only thing i needed to use was a good dollop of vegetable oil once or twice a year to keep the valves lubricated and about a pint of cheap, white vinegar in the empty, rinsed tank. The vinegar neutralized the ammonia smell of urine (as any mother who has used a diaper bucket can tell you) and helps with any other nasty odors in the tanks. We never had an issue and I think that the planet Earth and campground owners with septic tanks thanked us.  No need to add any more chemicals to our waterways or water treatment facilities. 
Carol & Jeff Savournin
Usta have a '93 U225 36', Usta have a '95 U320 40', Usta have a '02 U320 40'
Usta have a 2006 Born Free, Usta have a 2011 Phoenix Cruiser
Usta have a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4dr
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life."  Steve Jobs