Skip to main content
Topic: Putting air in to coach (Read 721 times) previous topic - next topic

Putting air in to coach

Where is the male quick coupler for putting air into coach.
Peter and Frieda Morin
1999 36ft. U320 Foretravel
Build # 5436
1998 Suzuki Sidekick Sport

Re: Putting air in to coach

Reply #1
You have to supply your own. They didn't come from the factory with the plan to add air, just to use the onboard air. If you are talking about where the air comes out then usually on passenger side first compartment back from front.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #2
I just made a male to male adapter, with a valve on it. Make sure you have a good drier on your compressor.
Some have Tee'd in at the drier at the rear, so it runs through the coach drier.
Chris
Chris and Tammy White  CDA Idaho
Previous owners 1997 U295 36' 3126 Cat 300 HP Build # 4998
Former Foretravel tech & RVIA certified tech
Former owner Custom Satellite home/RV satellites 
Former owner Vans LTD  van conversions
Unemployed, panhandler, drag racer NHRA #6348

Reply #3
Thanks, now I can quit looking. I will install my own or maybe I can hook 2 male ends together and put air into the system from
the female quick coupler. Putting in before the air dryer is a great idea
Peter and Frieda Morin
Build # 5436

Reply #4
...maybe I can hook 2 male ends together and put air into the system from the female quick coupler.
This may or may not work on your coach.

On older models (like mine) the "tire filler" air connection comes directly off the wet tank, with no check valves to prevent "reverse flow".  I can use the double male connector plugged into my air hose and air up my whole coach using a portable air compressor.

On newer coaches, the source of the tire filler hose is usually not directly off the wet tank, but comes from somewhere else in the air system.  On these coaches, you cannot pressure up the whole coach air system using the double male connector on the tire hose.

Easy to find out how your coach works - just hook up a portable compressor to the tire filler hose and see what happens.  If your dash air gauges show a increase in pressure then you're good to go.  If not, you will need to tap into the air system at some other point.

OR, look at your air system diagram and see if it shows the source of the air going to the tire filler connection.

And yes, it is a good idea to have a water filter on the portable compressor if regularly used to air up the coach.  But trying it out one time without a water filter won't cause any harm.  IMHO
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #5
I can fill the tanks using the two male couplers, but I put in a Tee in front of the dyer. Thanks for the idea Chris
Peter and Frieda Morin
Build # 5436

Reply #6
Here's what I use.
jor

Reply #7
Where did you get that, John? I could use something like that for my outboard aux. compressor.  ^.^d
1993 U-240 "La Villa Grande"..CAT 3116 w/ Pacbrake PRXB...Allison 3060 6-speed..
Previous: 1983 Airstream 310 turbo diesel, 1979 Airstream 280 turbo diesel
                                      Build # 4297
                                      PNW natives
                      Home base:  'Cactus Hug' (Ajo, Arizona)
                        DW Judy & Chet the wonder dog
                        Full-Timers 'Sailing the asphalt sea'

Reply #8
Put a female disconnect in the coach Compressor to Air Dryer line?
Tim Dianics
Pam Sapienza
Vader PupZilla Labrador Canine (AKA Pup)
Columbia, MO
1996 U320 4000

Reply #9
Put a female disconnect in the coach Compressor to Air Dryer line?
The coach compressor? The tire fill hose has already gone through the dryer.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #10
Craneman, I think he is talking about putting air into coach through tire hose from a portable compressor that has no dryer
But I may be wrong!!!
Chris
1999 U 320 DGFE
Build Number 5523
Chris & Elka Lang
In the field, Lonoke AR

Reply #11
The coach compressor? The tire fill hose has already gone through the dryer.
In the air line, between the coach compressor and the coach air dryer, install the apporpriate plumbing to charge the coach air system from an alternate source.
Tim Dianics
Pam Sapienza
Vader PupZilla Labrador Canine (AKA Pup)
Columbia, MO
1996 U320 4000

Reply #12
I added this connection this summer to my 2001 U320. This will charge the wet and front and rear service tanks and pressurize the leveling system.  It does not add air to the HWH tank.  Assuming all of your check valves and pressure protection valves are functional.  Air added this way goes through the coach air dryer.

External Compressor Connection to Add Air to Wet Tank and Service Tanks

Coaches from different years and different models may be different.  Find the air schematic for your coach.  Make sure you understand how it works before you start making modifications.  Use DOT approved fittings when connecting nylon air lines. Use PTFE pipe sealant, not tape on threaded connections.

Reply #13
I put a tee in at the air dryer and then a valve and then a male quick coupler and when I'm not using it I will take the quick coupler
off and put a plug in the valve. That whey I know it's safe. The female coupler on mine is in with the propane tank.
Peter and Frieda Morin
Build # 5436