Skip to main content
Topic: Headlights  (Read 1389 times) previous topic - next topic

Headlights

I just purchased a 1999 u270 . I'm wondering why some have round headlights while others have rectangular headlights
Rick & Hilda looking forward to full- timing one day for now couple of months at a time
1999 U270 3602
Built number  5530.  Feb 1999            Motorcade  number 18438
8.3 Cummins Allison six speed with brake  retarder
Purchased Nov 28 2019

Re: Headlights

Reply #1
The round lights were done after. Coach was built. James Stallings at Xtreme figured out how to do it and it not only looks better you get better visibility at night as well.
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on Ford 550 nonslide version
Former Coaches  covering. 360,000 miles
1999 34 U270
2000 36 U320
2001 42' double slide U320
2018 Jeep Rubicon

Reply #2
I just purchased a 1999 u270 . I'm wondering why some have round headlights while others have rectangular headlights
Owner's update their coaches from time to time.  The new headlight technology much better than the incandescent bulbs and reflector assembly originally used.
1992 Foretravel Grand Villa
U225 SBID Build No. 4134
1986 Rockwood Driftwood
1968 S.I.A.T.A. Spring
1962 Studebaker Lark
1986 Honda VF700C
1983 Honda VF750C
Charlie, the Dog was broken out of jail 24 Oct 2023
N1RPN
AA1OH (H)e who must be obeyed.

Reply #3
The original headlights on my 1998 U270 are a total disaster. How FT got around a NTSB recall is a question I ask every time I have to use the headlights. And I refuse to upgrade a clear safety issue on my dime.
John
1998 U270 34'

Reply #4
It is a matter of individual safety. If replacing bulbs and newer ones would provide better vision, why not? If driving a car made before 1968 seat belt mandatory, and you are carrying your grandchild, why not? Manufacture met standards (Bluebird/Foretravel) at the time.
Future Foretravel Owners
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Retired USAF, Retired DOD Civ's
FAA A&P, Indust. Eng., Acft Depot Lvl. Maint.
Larry and Becky Rountree

Reply #5
The original headlights on my 1998 U270 are a total disaster. How FT got around a NTSB recall is a question I ask every time I have to use the headlights. And I refuse to upgrade a clear safety issue on my dime.
All older motorhomes of all makes have substandard headlights by todays technology.  Cars and trucks as well.
Dan - Full timing since 2009
2003 U320 40' Tag 2 slide

Reply #6
A headlight mod can look nice and certainly improves night driving if you have to do it. We rarely drive at night but if we do we are really glad we did the mod.  We drove through KC at night in the winter one year heading south.  Got the headlights done the next year.

Lots on our FTs is much better than others of that era and even many from today.  There is always room for improvement.

If you are going to spend money improving something change the fold down step to an extending electric step.  You use this every day and as we get older a mis-step can be a disaster.  This is a great upgrade to improve quality of life and safety in every day use.  Some of the best money we spent.

Reply #7
Is there a site you can go on to see all these new options that are available how do you know what's a available at the factory for remodelling like this new headlight style
Rick & Hilda looking forward to full- timing one day for now couple of months at a time
1999 U270 3602
Purchased Nov 28 2019

Reply #8
Is there a site you can go on to see all these new options that are available

Ummm....  you're on it  ;)  Just read through the Renovations board.
Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Lifetime Escapees' member SKP 82766
Former 1999 30IB Lazy Daze (2000-2004)
Former 2003 U320 (2004-2016)
Former 2017 LTV Unity (2017-2023)
Shopping for our next coach

Reply #9
New to this site still trying to navigate around it thanks I'll learn
1999 U270 3602
Purchased Nov 28 2019

Reply #10
New to this site still trying to navigate around it thanks I'll learn
Welcome to the site and congratulations on your Foretravel. Most of us on here learned our coaches by reading this forum. Try different search terms and read away!
Michael Hayley; Barry Brennan
2001 U320, 36', IFS, build #5909
Buster and Shelby, (Boxers)

Reply #11
Thank I think I'll in joy this forums all ready talk to people back and forth
1999 U270 3602
Purchased Nov 28 2019

Reply #12
Thank I think I'll in joy this forums all ready talk to people back and forth
If that is your coach in your avatar you have a head light upgrade already
The selected media item is not currently available.Keith & Jo
2003 U320T 4025 PBBS Designer series
Build 6203    Cummins 500hp
2000 U320 4010 WTFE / Build 5762 —Sold—
Motorcade #18070   
Pasadena, Texas
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara-Sunset Orange pearl coat
Don't argue with a fool, people watching might not be able to tell the difference.

Reply #13
SORRY. I forgot that FT is perfect. Thats why so many of us have had to do bulkhead repairs. I am only trying to point out a deficient that I would have liked to know prior to buying my 1998 FT. I probably would have done the upgraded lights like so many owners have done if I would have known my headlights were terrible.
And the headlights are terrible. Try as you will there is no way to sugar coat the headlight that is unsafe and useless for night driving.
John
1998 U270 34'

Reply #14
Is there a site you can go on to see all these new options that are available how do you know what's a available at the factory for remodelling like this new headlight style

You can see some modification here: Xtreme Paint & Graphics Home

And this is where I would do headlights and step conversion.

We will be at Extreme starting 9 December for some paint and fiberglass work.
Dan - Full timing since 2009
2003 U320 40' Tag 2 slide

Reply #15
Driving my coach home I was driving in the dark and in low beam I could hardly see, so now I have led bulbs in, the same thing I
did with my Dynasty which had the same Bronco  head lights. I haven't driven the coach at night but in the Dynasty they were amazing.
Peter and Frieda Morin
1999 36ft. U320 Foretravel
Build # 5436
1998 Suzuki Sidekick Sport

Reply #16
So if it just a matter for replacing the Bronco style bulbs with LED bulbs when they burn out, why would you not do it? It's still on your dime then. Correct?
Future Foretravel Owners
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Retired USAF, Retired DOD Civ's
FAA A&P, Indust. Eng., Acft Depot Lvl. Maint.
Larry and Becky Rountree

Reply #17
Driving my coach home I was driving in the dark and in low beam I could hardly see, so now I have led bulbs in, the same thing I
did with my Dynasty which had the same Bronco  head lights. I haven't driven the coach at night but in the Dynasty they were amazing.
The Monaco's were higher up. My '96 Sig was much better with HID bulbs, but the lights were much higher than my '99 320 was before the Xtreme conversion.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #18
The old Foretravel headlights are just one of those things. You can upgrade for several Gs or just not drive at night. I choose the latter.
jor

Reply #19
Or... you can do as my PO did and put in after market LED headlights that rock and don't cost what the extreme headlight conversion costs.. to each his own I guess. But imo having a coach that I can't drive at night is not something I would want. Personally. I work nights, am comfortable driving at night. Its cooler, less traffic, better fuel economy, no sun glare.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
1500 Watts Solar 600 amp Victron lithium
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #20
Agree the headlights are bad, but they were using lights that millions of pickup trucks were using, try polishing the lenses and using
better bulbs or just don't drive at night, and let's face it our sight is not the same as in the 90's,to not try and make the lights better
makes no sense to me, they could have put them higher up but they didn't.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #21
J.W. Speaker is a company that has a tremendous listing of lights, lights with mounts. Summit is a seller of their listings. Give it a look for ideas. Also Finditparts.com has listings for headlight assemblies and bulbs. To give the DIY among us the ability to see options. You could also go to Rv, truck, auto yards and shop for units on different vehicles.  Extreme has experience with Foretravel.  Have what appears to be a quality track record. Many boat yards could do the work, body shops with Corvette experience also. It is fiberglass not rocket science.
Mark

For CB, I gave you wrong name yesterday it is J.W. Speaker
1999 U270 40 #5518
USN. USPS.

Reply #22
LED bulbs were a HUGE improvement on our GV  HUGE..
 And I get flashed way more often in the 18 wrangler with LEDs than the coach ( once ) so apparently the coach headlight upgrade is not offensive to oncoming traffic.
Robert and Susan Moe Sr.
 1995 36' 280 WTBI 8.3 3060r
 1200 watts on the roof, 720 Ah of lithium's
 Build # 4637. Motorcade # 17599
        FMCA  # 451505
        18  Wrangler JLUR

Reply #23
The least expensive way would to upgrade to Bob and Julie's lights and just leave the old ones alone, all you would have to do is cut 2 holes and buy the lights and wire them in.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #24
Unlike the older Unicoaches with Ford Bronco headlights, my 2003 came with Chevy Silverado headlights, mounted much higher.  I found them to be decent enough but later changed the bulbs to HID, and WOW!!!.  A lot of bang for the buck.  I would never do anything more with them.

Before the HID, I tried LEDs, but found there was no room for the fan on the back of the LED bulb.  FT put some steel behind the lights that interferes.

BTW, I like the idea of keeping the Bronco headlights, but disconnecting them, but adding the J.W. Speaker lights. 
Tom Lang K6PG (originally  KC6UEC)
and Diane Lang
2003 38 U295 build 6209
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Ecodiesel
still have tow-ready 2006 Acura MDX 
Temple City, California
Motorcade 16681 California Chapter President
SKP 16663 member of SKP Park of the Sierra, Coarsegold California
FMCA F071251
Retired electrical and electronic engineer