Skip to main content
Topic: BBQ Hookup (Read 610 times) previous topic - next topic

BBQ Hookup

For the past four years, I have been hooking  up my BBQ at the coach LP tank, with no difficulty. I would connect and then disconnect easily. When I recently tried to connect the hose, I couldn't push the connection in enough to catch a thread. Something shifted at the connection. I don't like to force anything, especially with gas involved. Any ideas? If I have to replace the connection, what is it called and where would I find one ??? Getting hungry
Glenn and Amy Beinfest
2001 36' U320
2014 Honda CRV

No Whining on the YACHT

Re: BBQ Hookup

Reply #1
When I tried to fill my propane last April, the guy at the distributor could not get the tank to fill.  It seems the valve was stuck.  I bought a replacement on ebay.  Marshall Excelsior ME601-6,1-3/4" M.Acme X 3/4" MNPT Double Check Fill...

I ran my tank down to 1/8 and just took the old one out and installed the new one.  Make sure you have all flames turned off.

Afterwards I pressed the old valve with a dowel and it freed up.  You might want to try this first.  Push a little on the center post.

Edit:  It looks like your valve has more parts than mine had.  You may need a different part.
1998 U320 40'
2005 GMC Yukon
MC# 17609

Reply #2
Thanks. It's not the fill valve. It is a connection beneath the shut off valve on my coach.
Glenn and Amy Beinfest
2001 36' U320
2014 Honda CRV

No Whining on the YACHT

Reply #4
Thanks, T man
Glenn and Amy Beinfest
2001 36' U320
2014 Honda CRV

No Whining on the YACHT

Reply #5
You're welcome Glenn.  That whole deal is kinda pricey but if you hook up your grill after the regulator the simple fittings are much cheaper.

Reply #6
Where would I get those parts?
Did you install that set up?
Am I just teeing off the line ?
Picture?👍👍
Glenn and Amy Beinfest
2001 36' U320
2014 Honda CRV

No Whining on the YACHT

Reply #7
I removed the one that was on our coach and replaced it with a Marshall brass "Extend a Stay" I had to use the elbow off the one I took off.
The "Extend a stay" allows us to use the onboard propane for the grill or fire pit. The other connection on the "Extend a Stay" allows us to connect to the 110 gallon tank I had the gas company install beside our coach (at home base).
This is cheaper propane than the tank fill gas and we are able to keep the heat on during the cooler months so we are always ready to travel.
NOTE: the Marshall brass units are more expensive and better connections than the cheaper ones on Amazon
David & Emma Roche
Dino (Golden Doodle)
1999 U270 WTFE 36' Build # 5534
Xtreme "Lights, Stripes & Roof"
Motorcade# 18321
Dayton, Ohio
Towd: Jeep Grand Cherokee
Two Townie Electra Bikes

Life is made to enjoy, the Foretravel helps!

Reply #8
Looking at the pics, I'd say the center "pusher" of the hose is what has shifted, not the coach connection.  Look closely - it looks like things aren't concentric in the center anymore.
Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Lifetime Escapees' member SKP 82766
Former 1999 30IB Lazy Daze (2000-2004)
Former 2003 U320 (2004-2016)
Former 2017 LTV Unity (2017-2023)
Shopping for our next coach

Reply #9
The post does look a little off and could be the issue.  The line is called an appliance to post, but most gas grill outlets have no idea.  I just recently purchased a new 12 foot hose to work with my portable grill.  The one connecter to the hook up at the tank area is a 1/2 inch female and going to the portable grill, a 1/2 inch male.  You can order those on Amazon, but you need to make sure the hose you order is not stiff.  Some are to the point you won't want to use it.  I went to a gas grill shop that deals in all kinds of accessories and bought the 12 foot hose.  They aren't cheap, but the longer the better for ease of use.  If you don't have a leak at the tank where that hook up is, then it should be fine and your issue is at the hose connector.  Hope this helps!
Joe & Dottie Allen
Sold!  December 2023.      2000 U320; build # 5645
Our coach " Maxine"
Motorcade #  15922;  Escapee 150950; FMCA F330833; Boondockers Welcome;  Harvest Hosts;  Thousand Trails
'98 U320 from 2000-'06
USAF '62-'66

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." ―Epicurus

Reply #10
Turned off LP. Realigned the receiving center part on the tank. Seems to work. Thanks for the support. Was going to find a small LP tank. Look at the $$$I saved!!!
Glenn and Amy Beinfest
2001 36' U320
2014 Honda CRV

No Whining on the YACHT