Skip to main content
Topic: scales (Read 814 times) previous topic - next topic

scales

Portable Truck Scales Gauge for Any Semi, Pickup Truck or Car, Teltek Brand.  Ebay

Does anyone know anything about the scales that are attached to vehicle?  According to ebay information they are parmanently attached to vehicle and give weight readout while loading or while traveling.

Thanks
Chris
1999 U 320 DGFE
Build Number 5523
Chris & Elka Lang
In the field, Lonoke AR

Re: scales

Reply #1
Portable Truck Scales Gauge for Any Semi, Pickup Truck or Car, Teltek Brand.  Ebay

Does anyone know anything about the scales that are attached to vehicle?  According to ebay information they are permanently attached to vehicle and give weight readout while loading or while traveling.

Thanks
Chris

I found and read the eBay auction, and it appears that this is an air pressure gauge calibrated in tens of thousands of pounds.

If I understand correctly you have independent rear air bag suspensions and combined front air bags, so you'd need to plumb in 3 of these gauges.
1992 Foretravel Grand Villa
U225 SBID Build No. 4134
1986 Rockwood Driftwood
1968 S.I.A.T.A. Spring
1962 Studebaker Lark
1986 Honda VF700C
1983 Honda VF750C
Charlie, the Dog was broken out of jail 24 Oct 2023
N1RPN
AA1OH (H)e who must be obeyed.

Reply #2
I can't imagine a scale system that gives readouts while under way or how useful that would be, not to mention the cost of a built in system.  When I was in US&R (FEMA) we had portable scales (pads) that we could use for our vehicles that included 18 wheelers, since we had to be able to put them on military aircraft.  These pads were usually placed under wheels and pallets.  I posted a photo of something similar.
2000 U320 mid entry  #5688
2006 Jeep Liberty

USMCR retired
SDFD retired
FEMA US&R TF8

Reply #3
Over the road Semi trucks have available for purchase a "Weighing System" that give you a general idea as to the weight distribution at each axle. I believe it works on the air pressure rise in each air bag so you can have a reasonable idea as to your loaded weight. You zero it out while empty and as the truck gets loaded the rise in pressure is calculated into weight. The system is pretty expensive but over weight fine are more costly...... It is used for the weight of the load being placed onto the vehicle, so as not to exceed 80,000 lbs. GVW.  Not needed for our motorhomes.

The selected media item is not currently available.
Gerry & Brenda
CHARLOTTE HARBOR, FL
1994 Grand Villa - # 4466
U300 Unihome - 6V92 Detroit
4 speed Allison - Jake Brake

Reply #4
So, I  have talked about the fact that the Ultimate Handling is to simply have your Tire Pressures correctly inflated, to achieve that "Cloud 9 Ride"  we all Love about our Uni-Coaches/Homes with full Air Bags!  I have now found the path to that solution, relatively inexpensively, accomplished!  At least in Theory?

While this system, will in fact measure the Coach's Entire weight, at any given time, it can be helpful in just that mode, in several ways!

Firstly, you can get a rough estimate, with Tankages filled at different levels, to know just how much other items you can pack into your coach, and not be overloaded  if ever pulled over by that friendly DOT Officer, who's only function, is to write very expensive tickets, if a routine stop is performed....very rare, but possible?  But, also, I often wondered in any accident investigation, if that would be part of such data collected to either find you at fault, or as a contributing factor, in someone's Highway Fatality?  I have talked to one DOT Officer already, who carries those expensive Suitcase Scales, and he said that he does such services....if called in to go into detail!  You can bet NTSB does such things in a Major Accident!

So, before you say I am overthinking, all of this....just recall how many times you load your coach with all your goodies for a Long Outing (Or Full Timer?) and held your breath until you got to a Scale?  Do you even weigh your coach?  I have been RV'ing since 1977, and have owned six, so far, of various types!  Every time I loaded to go, I religiously knew where the scales were and weighed for MY Safety, and others that share our road!

To me, I placed importance on that issue, as one time, when I was with a family of five, and we overloaded the rig, with catastrophic results, that easily could have been deadly for all 6 of us!  This was in 1980, and we were in the middle of nowhere on the Texas Panhandle, doing a Cross-Country trip from San Diego, to Maryland!  Just outside Amarillo TX, where the huge Grasslands are off of I-40, I pulled over to go to sleep finally! I had driven that first leg, fully! The wife of the family took the Wheel, and less than 10 miles down the road, the Vehicle tipped up, to one side, threw us ALL to that side, and made it worse!  Not to be Funny, we felt like we were doing a Joey Chitwood Stunt Driving Maneuver!  No Lie! Well, she was keen enough, to know how to Steer away from the High Side, and brought us back down!  Was it a Tire Blowout?  Nope, it took the Rear Axle Spindle, and spun it off, like Pulling Taffy! Incredibly hot, the wheel ended up about 10 feet, from us on the side of the road.  It was the middle of December, and those Grasslands were as dry as the could be! One of her kids, picked up the wheel, which was facing inner side down, and Instantly started a Huge Inferno!  A combination of the wind, and Dry Grass, was too much! It expanded faster than any fire I ever saw, and by the time the Firemen arrived, had engulfed a few acres already!  They had to backfire it in a hurry, but nearly 100 acres, or more went up in smoke, that night! Now understand, I had done the Back of the Hand Feel, on the Tires at every stop, including the one 10 miles back!  I now religiously use a Digital Temp Gauge and also check that Center Hub....obviously by learning what happened there!  The whole Moral here, is we found out that we were 5K Lbs over the limit of that vehicle, as we did not weigh it beforehand, as I suggested to this family!  So, yes, I take weight even more seriously ever since, and check Axle/Hub Temps, along with the Tire Sidewall!  Anything over 220 degrees, gets fixed, period! And yes, I have actually had a Bearing catch on fire, 5 miles down the road, on a Boat Trailer that had leaked Grease, on the Back Seal, and Salt Water toasted that bearing but good!  I had just recovered the Boat from the Ocean! The Result was a Fire, that only did slight damage and I did a McGyver (JB Weld) repair to an Inner Race surface of the Spindle. New Bearing and a day and half later, far from home, made it back!  Oh, NEW Seals of course! LOL

So there you have my two bad experiences, one Weight related, other Inspection Oversight!  And yes I also Inspect for Fluid/Grease leakages as well, frequently now!

Now, I think I can figure out where to put that Tapped Port, to measure the Total Weight, in the Air Ride, but if you have the Easiest way you could see where this could work...I'm all Eyes here! Also, Nitpicker me, I also want to come up with a solution to select, and monitor all four quadrants of the coach, so a selectable Electrical device, where I can select at least 5 different parameters, Whole coach, and Individual Quadrants! I know it will have to be at the Distribution Manifold, of course, so have to figure a way of Selecting all 5 Readings.  I have found to "Dial In" a great handling experience, is to use the Chart from the Manufacturer for Weight/Tire Pressure Matching!  My Coach handles so much better when I adhere to those charts!  And yes, I find a Scale and do all 5, whenever possible!

Suggest away, please, as I AM ordering this system, as we speak! To me a No Brainer!  I wonder if they are installing these in the New Coaches?  Hmmmmm, easy seller, to me, anyway? Oh, I forgot they are not made with 8 Airbags anymore, are they?  Still possible as the Rear has Bags, and Load Cells can possibly be implemented in the front, perhaps? Anyway, I will do my best to document any progress I make in this endeavor, costs and you decide if YOU may want it as well?  The Winter "Round Tuits" 8)  8) , depend on many things here! Cold and Snowy!

Here is that System!  Promo Code takes 20 bucks off the order, as well! Cheap Insurance, to me! Truck Load Weight TelTek Gauge - Raney's Truck Parts
Tom & Barb Root
'95, 40' U-320C SE, bought from Dave Head, 8/2017  FT Motorcade # 18196 Coach Build# 4663 October '94
2015 VW Golf Sportwagen, 1991 Suzuki Samurai, Off-Road Custom Build-Up, W/Toyota 22re mill, and a 2005 Chevy 2500HD, Duramax/Allison TOADS Will also pull a MacGregor 26X Powersailor 2001 Model, owned since new!

Retired SR Rocket Mechanic, FT Sales Associate @  FT of California, Escondido CA.!  and Retired USMC Gunnery Sergeant (Hence Retired Guns! ) Avionics Tech, on A6E Intruder & OV-10 Bronco Aircraft!  V/N Era Vet, and Desert Storm Participant.  Happily Retired now!

Reply #5
I was thinking, something like this, but this is only for a 4 Way system, although I could use a two way, in combination, and have 2 switches, one for each Quadrant, and a Selector to combine them all! Looks like I'm in for some real fun?  Any suggestions?  I can't seem to locate a 6 Position, and just Block one off? https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/shopping/catalog/pneumatic_components/pneumatic_solenoid_directional_control_valves_-a-_accessories/5-port_(4-way),_2-pos.,_body_ported_-z-_manifold_(avs-5,am_series)/avs-5312-120a?gclid=CjwKCAiAx_DwBRAfEiwA3vwZYpdUndLJpKxryIhdZ-V4N_J_JjTTj-8iTsFh7TlbV-qRfLgblOvPKxoCriUQAvD_BwE

This MAY (?) work, but I don't quite have the workings of this one, figured out?  May have to call them and see?
Airtac 3V2M: Solenoid Air Valve Manifold - 3V2M12FT | Trimantec

And just so you know, I have considered Suitcase weights, but they are Heavy, and WAY Expensive! And you would need at  least TWO, so the coach could be as level as possible, on each axle. (And Coach Level, as well!) I used them Dozens of times when doing Aircraft Inspections, in the Weight and Balance Phase of Inspections, as a Quality Assurance Rep!  I also considered Individual Load Cells, and even that would be $1,500.00, or more to adapt, and configure!  This is THE way to go, as I see it? Only One 1/2" Poly Pressure Line, and Wiring would have to be ran to the Dash! Oh, and a Selectable Check Valve possibly, in case of Leakage?

***** EDIT***** I see I need a 6 Way, 5 Position, if I have that correct?  One Inlet air, with a Tee, from the Source manifold, at the "RIDE" position, on the HWH Manifold, and 5 Positions?  I have to do my homework on all this, as I did make High Pressure Selectable Test Console Manifolds from scratch a couple decades ago, building rockets. But that was not remote, and They were Physically Selectable with Manual Valves. The Grey Matter withers away, so quickly, lately!
Tom & Barb Root
'95, 40' U-320C SE, bought from Dave Head, 8/2017  FT Motorcade # 18196 Coach Build# 4663 October '94
2015 VW Golf Sportwagen, 1991 Suzuki Samurai, Off-Road Custom Build-Up, W/Toyota 22re mill, and a 2005 Chevy 2500HD, Duramax/Allison TOADS Will also pull a MacGregor 26X Powersailor 2001 Model, owned since new!

Retired SR Rocket Mechanic, FT Sales Associate @  FT of California, Escondido CA.!  and Retired USMC Gunnery Sergeant (Hence Retired Guns! ) Avionics Tech, on A6E Intruder & OV-10 Bronco Aircraft!  V/N Era Vet, and Desert Storm Participant.  Happily Retired now!

Reply #6
Most times after an rv crash most of its contents is spread across the highway and the walls and rood are usually in the on coming traffic lane.. They will not scrape everything up and actually weigh it.... Anytime I have seen a trailer or rv... Million pieces or more.. So they investigating and finding I was an Ice chest overloaded or more I doubt would happen... Could it? maybe but highly doubtful.

To be honest, besides at Glamis or Dumont .. I ahve never seen an Rv pulled over for anything unless they were broke down. Can it happen? Im sure but highly unlikely.. I think to get weighed is about 10-20 bucks... only really need to do it one time with what you usually carry and you will have a good idea from that point and save the other few hundred.

Just my 1/2 cent.. mileage might vary ..

Reply #7
Most times after an rv crash most of its contents is spread across the highway and the walls and rood are usually in the on coming traffic lane.. They will not scrape everything up and actually weigh it.... Anytime I have seen a trailer or rv... Million pieces or more.. So they investigating and finding I was an Ice chest overloaded or more I doubt would happen... Could it? maybe but highly doubtful.

To be honest, besides at Glamis or Dumont .. I ahve never seen an Rv pulled over for anything unless they were broke down. Can it happen? Im sure but highly unlikely.. I think to get weighed is about 10-20 bucks... only really need to do it one time with what you usually carry and you will have a good idea from that point and save the other few hundred.

Just my 1/2 cent.. mileage might vary ..

Certainly!  I only put as Much Emphasis as I do, on this matter, because of Personal Experiences, I guess?  And BTW, my Literally Hundreds of trips to Yuma, from Dago, and to Glamis, on I-8, when I lived there for 32 years, I saw literally dozens of RV's, Scattered Everywhere, or soon after!  Especially after those Toy Haulers were raised for Off Road!  BTW, I bought my first Toy Hauler, 5th Wheel, a 40' in 1979, before they were dubbed that!  Helped many a Folk out if and when needed!  Most "Looked" grossly overloaded, but ones I witnessed were Blowing by me in excess of 20, or more MPH, then what I was safely travelling!  A few of those I saw the Aftermath, just a few minutes later! I Never saw a Fatality, personally, but did see it in the news, many a weekend! The many stories I have, I should write a book!
Tom & Barb Root

Reply #8
Haven't looked closely at all your links, but the first one appears to be a fancy air pressure gauge.  Not sure how much that would actually tell you about the coach weight (total and distribution).  In the front of our 8-bag coaches, both corners (4 bags) are tied together so you would only get a "average" of side-to-side pressure.  In the back, you would get individual corner pressure readings.

I suspect "air bag pressure" would not (in the case of our coach suspensions) be a very precise indicator of weight variation.  The pressure in the bags only ranges from around 80 psi to a max of about 120 psi.  A 40 psi difference between "empty" weight and maximum GVWR doesn't give you much "variation" to work with in computing the changes in weight.

But I could be wrong.
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #10
[Merged two identical topics on the eBay same item.  Please read the entire discussion from the top - Michelle]
Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Lifetime Escapees' member SKP 82766
Former 1999 30IB Lazy Daze (2000-2004)
Former 2003 U320 (2004-2016)
Former 2017 LTV Unity (2017-2023)
Shopping for our next coach

Reply #11
The trucks I loaded here is Los Angeles when I was in the loader rental business, 30 years ago had the scales calibrated to the rear air bags and the front hydraulic system on the ram that dumped the trailer. The trucks had all been weighed empty and the scales would let me know to put more demo in the front or rear of the trailer. That air system can be accurate to about 500 lbs at that time. And the Hydraulic was only good for 1,000 lbs.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #12
I'm sure others will 'weigh in' on this subject.

I think the calibrated pressure gauge is a great idea.  If you can load up and weight to confirm gross vehicle weight marking the gauge will give you a calibrated maximum weight indication.  And that's all you really want.

As far as obtaining a scale weight, I live across the street from the Generation Farms Veg House and when I needed a trailer weight for Georgia registration purposes, I asked and they provided and refused my offer of payment.

Growing up we had our own truck scale for weight the coal trucks, big beautiful mechanical Fairbanks balance scale.  When we sold the scale, we had to explain to the purchaser that the part he saw in the office was not the scale itself.

In Manchester, NH the transfer station weighed your vehicle coming and going to determine the disposal fee.  They provided front rear and trailer axle weights for the Rockwood.
1992 Foretravel Grand Villa
U225 SBID Build No. 4134
1986 Rockwood Driftwood
1968 S.I.A.T.A. Spring
1962 Studebaker Lark
1986 Honda VF700C
1983 Honda VF750C
Charlie, the Dog was broken out of jail 24 Oct 2023
N1RPN
AA1OH (H)e who must be obeyed.

Reply #13
I know this is dangerous but thinking while I type. 

My coach has HWH Active Air.  You can look and see air bag pressures for front right and left, Drive right and left, and also tag right and left.  So if the coach gets weighted and the air bag pressure reading are recorded at that time, then from then on I would be able to see if the coach weights more or less by air bag pressures?  I think I am going to go and take pictures of the gauge at different times to see if the pressures change very much.  I am low on fuel now and planing on taking a trip next weekend. So will check at the house, at station before and after I fill up with fuel to see what differences there are.
2014 ih45  (4th Foretravel owned)
 1997 36' U295 Sold in 2020, owned for 19 years
  U240 36' Sold to insurance company after melting in garage fire
    33' Foretravel on Dodge Chassis  Sold very long time ago

Reply #14
I know this is dangerous but thinking while I type. 

My coach has HWH Active Air.  You can look and see air bag pressures for front right and left, Drive right and left, and also tag right and left.  So if the coach gets weighted and the air bag pressure reading are recorded at that time, then from then on I would be able to see if the coach weights more or less by air bag pressures?  I think I am going to go and take pictures of the gauge at different times to see if the pressures change very much.  I am low on fuel now and planing on taking a trip next weekend. So will check at the house, at station before and after I fill up with fuel to see what differences there are.
That idea would work the same as the trucks used 30 years ago. The only issue is getting the air gauge reading in smaller increments to be able to calibrate. Let us know how yours checks out.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #15
I agree overloading is a bad thing but when your wheel fell off maybe something else was going on. How hot was the spindle on
the other side of the coach.
Peter and Frieda Morin
1999 36ft. U320 Foretravel
Build # 5436
1998 Suzuki Sidekick Sport

Reply #16
We use a regular low pound per square inch gauge on each axle. A fully loaded truck and trailer the maximum pressure would be less than 40 lbs. We load then check weight, if it is correct,  we write the pressure down, then a quick look at the gauge tells you where you are. The question is if you could easily read each wheel on a Foretravel.
Safe Travels
Dave
2001 U320 40ft
Build #5867
2003 Tracker
VE7DOD