Skip to main content
Topic: Porch light does not work (Read 1359 times) previous topic - next topic

Porch light does not work

Porch light does not work. Replaced lamps. What should check next?
40ft 1997 U320

Re: Porch light does not work

Reply #1
Power to make sure you have it at the lamp then work back.. switch then relay/fuse

Reply #2
It's highly likely that the ballast is bad, so if you have power to the fixture, that is most likely the problem.  New fixture time!!!  Have a great day  ----  Fritz
Fritz & Kathy Johnson
1991 36'

Reply #3
Bad switch or ground.

jk
Jack and Cathy
1992 U280 Unihome 36' Build #4034
Cummins 8.3 /  Allison MT647/ PacBrake
Apopka, FL / Barre Center, NY

Reply #4
Last year the porch light, lighted handle and passenger map light all worked. Now none do. Are they all connected to the same circuit? It's on my list of to do but haven't taken time to chase down yet.

Thanks in advance,
Larry
Larry Warren
1996  U320 36' SBID "Lola"
Build #4970
Motorcade #18318

Reply #5
DayD,

If it is a bad ballast you can just remove the ballast and install some type of 12VDC LED light strip in the OEM fixture.

While you are in the area does the touch light on the door grab handle work? These 2 items are on the same circuit. The base has a bulb that is known to fail. The bottom of the lower mounting bracket has a drain hole in it. This drain can be stopped up with an insect nest causing ground problems causing the light to stay on. On your coach the controller is hid on the floor in the magazine/cup rack.

Mike

Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters."

Reply #6
Last year the porch light, lighted handle and passenger map light all worked. Now none do. Are they all connected to the same circuit?

Larry,

The short answer is Yes.  Look at the post that I just posted to DayD.  The 2 outside are controlled through the switch as you come in the front door that is on your right hand side. If the switch on the porch light has shorted out it cause a problem with both also. These are fed off one of the self resetting beakers that are hid behind the kick panel.  I'm not sure about the map light though but most likely it does.

Mike
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

Reply #7
DayD,

If it is a bad ballast you can just remove the ballast and install some type of 12VDC LED light strip in the OEM fixture.

While you are in the area does the touch light on the door grab handle work? These 2 items are on the same circuit. The base has a bulb that is known to fail. The bottom of the lower mounting bracket has a drain hole in it. This drain can be stopped up with an insect nest causing ground problems causing the light to stay on. On your coach the controller is hid on the floor in the magazine rack.

Mike

Mike,
The top grab handle light does stay on, so will check the drain/ground.  I did not know there was a bulb in the bottom.  Ironically, the handle broke on me yesterday, so another thing to fix. 
Thanks for the suggestion on installing 12v LED strips in the existing fixture. 
40ft 1997 U320

Reply #8
Mike,
The top grab handle light does stay on, so will check the drain/ground.  I did not know there was a bulb in the bottom.  Ironically, the handle broke on me yesterday, so another thing to fix. 
Thanks for the suggestion on installing 12v LED strips in the existing fixture. 

DayD,

The light bulb is in the top but the ground wire that makes it work is in the bottom. When you take out the Phillips head screw to remove the lower bracket (to replace the Lexan handle) you will find a wire with a looped spade lug that cause a lot of trouble. If you have to remove the magazine/cup rack the screws are hid inside behind the switches along with the one that are behind the plugs you can see in the front of the magazine rack.

Mike
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

Reply #9
Thanks Mike. I hadn't thought about the circuit breakers behind the panel. I'll check it out.

Larry
Larry Warren
Build #4970
Motorcade #18318

Reply #10
These are fed off one of the self resetting beakers that are hid behind the kick panel.  I'm not sure about the map light though but most likely it does.

Larry & DayD,

I was just able to pull the prints for your age coach and those items are not fed from the breakers behind the kick panel.  Those items are off the 12VDC fuses mounted at the foot of the bed. According to the print I have it should be fuse #5.

Mike
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

Reply #11
Mike, I have the same problem --do I have a relay or is it out of fuse box?
Thanks
1999 U 320 DGFE
Build Number 5523
Chris & Elka Lang
In the field, Lonoke AR

Reply #12
Thanks Mike, I'll make a note and check it when I get to the coach. I hadn't seen any fuses blown, but  I might have missed it.

Larry
Larry Warren
Build #4970
Motorcade #18318

Reply #13
--do I have a relay or is it out of fuse box?

Chris,

I don't have the '99 prints with me as we are on the road to see the big man visit the grandkids but yours should be fed through the fuse panel at the base of the bed. Not a self resetting breaker for the outside porch lights on the 96/97 prints.

Mike
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

Reply #14
Thanks Mike, Hope You have a safe trip and give the GK's a big hug!
Chris
1999 U 320 DGFE
Build Number 5523
Chris & Elka Lang
In the field, Lonoke AR

Reply #15
Pulled the bottom bracket of the assist handle yesterday in preparation for replacing the broken acrylic rod and to check the ground wire.  Good news, the ground is in great condition and will turn on the light in the upper bracket when I touch it.  Plan to stop by a local plastics shop later today to see if they can fabricate a replacement rod.

Was unable to pull the porch light to confirm it is getting power since I did not have a square tip driver, so that will be another day.
40ft 1997 U320

Reply #16
Pulled the bottom bracket of the assist handle yesterday in preparation for replacing the broken acrylic rod and to check the ground wire.  Good news, the ground is in great condition and will turn on the light in the upper bracket when I touch it.  Plan to stop by a local plastics shop later today to see if they can fabricate a replacement rod.

Was unable to pull the porch light to confirm it is getting power since I did not have a square tip driver, so that will be another day.
CLEAR Acrylic RV Entry Door Grab Handle Bar Fleming Brite Bar Glo Bar | eBay

Reply #17

Pretty much 90% of the fasteners on my coach are square head screws. Can't do anything without at least one. Get 4.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
1500 Watts Solar 600 amp Victron lithium
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #18
I have square tip drivers, just did not have one last night and did not anticipate needing it.....one of the downsides of having to store the coach in a U-Haul yard.  Definitely will be added to the take along tool bag.  Any other "special" tools I might need?
40ft 1997 U320

Reply #20
Be careful of the size. I bought two from FOT that were supposed to fit, but are a tad too short.
Tom Lang K6PG (originally  KC6UEC)
and Diane Lang
2003 38 U295 build 6209
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Ecodiesel
still have tow-ready 2006 Acura MDX 
Temple City, California
Motorcade 16681 California Chapter President
SKP 16663 member of SKP Park of the Sierra, Coarsegold California
FMCA F071251
Retired electrical and electronic engineer

Reply #22
Definitely easier to fix too long than too short!
That's why I'm still using my original and have two spare shorties.
Tom Lang K6PG (originally  KC6UEC)
and Diane Lang
2003 38 U295 build 6209
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Ecodiesel
still have tow-ready 2006 Acura MDX 
Temple City, California
Motorcade 16681 California Chapter President
SKP 16663 member of SKP Park of the Sierra, Coarsegold California
FMCA F071251
Retired electrical and electronic engineer

Reply #23
That's why I'm still using my original and have two spare shorties.
Using my original is not a good option....it broke into four pieces last week when I grabbed it to enter the coach.  I glued it back to measure it, but do not think it would hold up very well. 
40ft 1997 U320

Reply #24
I have square tip drivers, just did not have one last night and did not anticipate needing it.....one of the downsides of having to store the coach in a U-Haul yard.  Definitely will be added to the take along tool bag.  Any other "special" tools I might need?

A wire tracing tool is good to have. Added one to my tool kit recently and its paid for itself already.
A good LED rechargeable light.
A good wire crimper, wire stripper and cutter.
A solder iron. Heat gun. A good voltage meter.
There is a tool list post that would be good to review.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
1500 Watts Solar 600 amp Victron lithium
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired