Skip to main content
Topic: Short term cold weather storage suggestions? (Read 362 times) previous topic - next topic

Short term cold weather storage suggestions?

So I am currently in Central Wisconsin and have successfully weathered multiple snow storms and some single digits temperatures. Unfortunately, I have to be here through the end of December...I have been using the coach as normal with the exception of water. (Shower, toilet etc.) I have successfully winterized everything from aqua Hot to washer, dryer, ice maker. I have taken coach for 70 mile exercise runs every 2 1/2 weeks (including generator) refuel (include anti-gel mix) and then back to home base since October cold snap. I am plugged into a 50 amp service and have an external heated shower & toilet 30 yards away. So I basically have set the coach furnace at 56 and turned aqua hot diesel switch on and when needed system has been working perfectly and I have been extremely comfortable even at 2 degrees. My question is I must now leave the coach unattended for the next 4 weeks. My thoughts are to shut of the heat, my fridge and turn off main power switch and just leave coach plugged in as I stated it is winterized. Upon my return at end of December I will hopefully be able to refire heat/aqua hot back up for a couple days get her toasty and with luck build air to head south. I am wondering if there is any issues I am over looking  before I leave the coach sit for the 4 weeks and would it be best to pull shades or leave them up with the heat off???? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Looking forward to warmer weather soon...
Chuck Wiggy
Coloma, Wisconsin
Sold my 1999 U 320 40 Ft. M11 450 hp
Build # 5468
2009 Silverado

Re: Short term cold weather storage suggestions?

Reply #1
If you turn everything off then you would need to remove all canned food, beverages, cleaning products so they do not burst. Assume you put antifreeze in both tanks and traps as well as draining systems.
I leave mine plugged in so the battery's stay charged with a "trick-l-charge" for the engine battery's fitted, then the heat set to 50, I have panels of the bubble wrap with foil on one side  that I put behind all the blinds and then pull them down including the front windows, the bathroom fan gets a pad in it and the kitchen fan I insulate it and pop the cover back on. My coach is not emptied out.
If it's completely empty, why would you worry about turning off the heat, used coaches on dealer lots sit all winter.
David & Emma Roche
Dino (Golden Doodle)
1999 U270 WTFE 36' Build # 5534
Xtreme "Lights, Stripes & Roof"
Motorcade# 18321
Dayton, Ohio
Towd: Jeep Grand Cherokee
Two Townie Electra Bikes

Life is made to enjoy, the Foretravel helps!

Re: Short term cold weather storage suggestions?

Reply #2
It will not be emptied out so as you stated I never even thought about  the various supplies throughout the coach freezing.  I guess it would be wise to just leave furnace set at 50 but I guess  I was nervous about 4 weeks without the coach being checked on??? Not much choice in the matter and I am going to heed your bubble wrap advice for the windows as I have the fans already handled. I appreciate your input thank you!
Chuck Wiggy
Coloma, Wisconsin
Sold my 1999 U 320 40 Ft. M11 450 hp
Build # 5468
2009 Silverado