Skip to main content

Topic: house batteries not charging (Read 594 times) previous topic - next topic

house batteries not charging
We had the RV plugged in for the winter with only a an extension cord. This was plugged into a GFI which has tripped and now the house batteries are completely dead. We plugged it into a 50 AMP source and the batteries don't seem to be charging....

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

• Pyolet
  • [*][*][*]
Re: house batteries not charging
Reply #1
Sounds like the batteries decayed to a dead short...usually the case if left discharged and they will freeze internally.  No charger can cope with that and that's probably the smell in your bay.  Hopefully the charger/inverter is okay...what...

Reply #2
After verifying that batteries don't have a dead short and that wiring is OK, then yes you can (actually have to) start the charging process with another (stupid) charger.

Smart inverter/chargers are programmed to NOT try to charged totally dead...

Reply #3
Can I charge the house batteries with a regular car charger?

Yes, but you'll need a "dumb" charger and patience.  With a completely flat battery, your electrolyte is mostly water, slowly...

Reply #4
Sounds like the batteries decayed to a dead short...usually the case if left discharged and they will freeze internally.  No charger can cope with that and that's probably the smell in your...

Reply #5
After verifying that batteries don't have a dead short and that wiring is OK, then yes you can (actually have to) start the charging process with another (stupid) charger.

Smart...

Reply #6
Batteries normally are not recoverable after long term total discharge

Reply #7
John,

I prefer directly on the battery post.

Mike

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
It is a Prosine PS 2.5

I would look into taking that out.. mine popped when we were out of town.. luckily it was a few miles from home..its old and it will fail.. cant be fixed so start...

Reply #9
I would look into taking that out.. mine popped when we were out of town.. luckily it was a few miles from home..its old and it will fail.. cant be fixed so start planning now. ^.^d

thanks I have...

Reply #10

thanks I have the book so I guess as long as I spec out a new one the same I should be ok. What did you get?

Do consider Alan at Bay Marine Chargers, inverters, and refrigerators

Victron...

Reply #11
I would first measure the voltage of the batteries, which can be done at the Prosine terminals.  If not a dead short, you can try resetting the Prosine by disconnecting the batteries and reconnecting.  You might get lucky.  See what happens to...

• Jack L
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #12
As Tom Lang talked about above, I've seen many inverter/chargers saved by totally removing the battery cables from the unit for 20 minutes to reset it and then it would work.

Reply #13
I would first measure the voltage of the batteries, which can be done at the Prosine terminals.  If not a dead short, you can try resetting the Prosine by disconnecting the batteries and...

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #14

thanks I have the book so I guess as long as I spec out a new one the same I should be ok. What did you get?

Went Victron everything and very happy.. Allan at Bay Marine Supply is very helpful..

• Tim
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #15
Replace the batteries. They are now permanently damaged and are hydrogen-generating bombs. I'm just keeping it real.
  • Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 10:55:20 pm by Tim

Reply #16
Just as a follow up I put the batteries on the charger at 2 Amps with 90 mins they were back up to 10 VDC from .13. I left them on the 2 Amp charge for about 48 hours and then hooked them back up to the inverter. The inverter would not come on...

Reply #17
Yay!!!  Good work.

Reply #18
John if you batteries are not gels a desulfurization device attached to the batteries over time might help restore them?

Reply #19
Check this page for a 12V repair/pulse charger. There is a chance the batteries will recover. Unless charged, batteries will freeze and be ruined. Charged batteries won't freeze even if buried in the snow. Amazon.com: Automatic Smart Battery...

Reply #20
We will be looking into having the batteries tested sometime this summer but for now at least I am not out in the garage in 19 degree weather trying to get those heavy things out.   :D

IF you...

Reply #21
John if you batteries are not gels a desulfurization device attached to the batteries over time might help restore them?
Actually it's Holly. John drives truck so he has been gone while I...

Reply #22
If I run the generator to charge them does it use the inverter charger or does it come straight from the generator?
Holly,

Your coach should use the generator output to run the...

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #23
I have the same Lifeline batteries that you mention Holly and have had a de sulphater on each of them for at least 6 yrs or more. Mine seem to be in good shape but have not tested them individually yet as not had a load tester. I was given one a...

Reply #24
Using the generator to run the inverter is not necessary if you have the coach plugged in. Let the inverter charge the batteries into float before letting them sit to test them.