Skip to main content

Topic: Bad Onan Generator Starter? (Read 378 times) previous topic - next topic

Bad Onan Generator Starter?
My Onan Emerald 6500 LP Gas conversion worked like a champ and started right up until this fall. At that point it became hard to start and I had to crank the starter for longer periods to get it going. Now I think the starter has gone bad. It...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Bad Onan Generator Starter?
Reply #1
Before condemning the starter, verify voltage at the large lug on the generator to generator clean metal housing. If it drops below 12.0 VDC with batteries in good condition, yes it could be a bad starter (excessive draw), but could also be a bad...

Reply #2
Thanks Brett. I'll do some checking.

• nitehawk
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
I am sitting here thinking about my Onan starter. It "crapped" out because the little plastic cage that is supposed to push the gear back out of engagement broke and the spring worked its way up to the end of the starter so the gear only backed...

Reply #4
Thanks Nitehawk. I hope Brett's suggestions prevent me from having to do this but your step-by-step instruction will be a great help if/when I need to do it.

Reply #5
I've been plugging away at this job as time and weather allows and am getting close to pulling the generator. It may take a day or longer for me to complete once the generator is pulled out. I can't run the refrigerator on gas if it's shut off at...

Reply #6
Is your generator LIQUID or vapor LP?  Many of that vintage had the generator on a separate (liquid) tap-- not related to the vapor tap for house LP appliances.  If this is what you have, merely close the liquid valve on the tank, start the...

Reply #7
You can turn off the gas remove the line at the generator and install a plug in the line and then turn the gas back on.

Reply #8
Thanks guys. Brett, here are a couple photos of the tank....

Reply #9
Can't really tell from the photo. 

Is the regulator in the lower left of the picture for the generator? If so, is it fed by the liquid or vapor port.

Reply #10
Can't really tell from the photo. 

Is the regulator in the lower left of the picture for the generator? If so, is it fed by the liquid or vapor port.
It looks like the liquid valve has nothing...

Reply #11
Ya, blowing up the picture on my computer instead of a smaller device-- I think you are correct.

So where does  the vapor line "T" off to the generator regulator?

Reply #12
I was told that the 2 valves on the right side were for liquid and for vapor, the lower being the liquid but I really know nothing about what goes where.

Reply #13
I think this photo will help...

Reply #14
The two valves on the tank WILL be labeled.  You can clearly see "Vapor" on the top one and guarantee the bottom one says Liquid.

The question is where does the generator feed tie in to the vapor port-- assume before the house regulator, but not...

Reply #15
The two valves on the tank WILL be labeled.  You can clearly see "Vapor" on the top one and guarantee the bottom one says Liquid.

The question is where does the generator feed tie in to the...

Reply #16
Should be able to find a cap at any propane store.

Turn off the vapor port.  Since the generator is not operating, light the stove to remove all pressure.

Remove that line and cap it off while doing the repair.  If it is cool outside and your...

Reply #17
OK. It all makes sense to me now. I just need to get a plug for the line (as Ron the red tractor said) where it plugs into the generator.
Is this plug available say, at the local Ace Hardware?

Reply #18
More likely at a propane store.

And, suggest bleeding off pressure before doing this.

Reply #19
Thanks Brett and everyone. While I have the generator out I'm also going address and attempt to correct any problems I have with regulators and gas flow -- and I'm also going to replace the rear spark plug that is impossible to get at.

Reply #20
If (actually big IF) you have the in-generator Impco J regulator, be sure you get the HIGH TEMP gasket set:
Century Fuel Products | Generator Conversion Kits | Forklift Parts

With the regulator in the propane tank compartment, don't really know...

Reply #21
Brett, this is what I have...

Reply #22
SOOOO, two regulators for the generator, one in propane locker, one at the generator. 

Looks like either would be easy to work on without removing the generator.

Much easier than the ones that are inside the generator.

• nitehawk
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #23
I found the regulator in the propane tank compartment to be the one that failed on me. This was also the one that supplied the propane to the generator regulator.

Reply #24
More likely at a propane store.

And, suggest bleeding off pressure before doing this.
These are standard flare or pipe plugs and are less expensive at the big box store, plumbing supply store or...