Skip to main content

Topic: Installing brake helper srpings (Read 601 times) previous topic - next topic

Installing brake helper srpings
Can the caliper slide pins be pulled out and the helper springs installed while the spring/parking brakes are engaged?

Re: Installing brake helper srpings
Reply #1
Don't know for sure since I have never tried, but If you were to remove one slide pin at a time, I don't see why it wouldn't work as most of the tension should be parallel with the slide pin.  If anything it might be slightly harder to pull out. ...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

• bbeane
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
No, you will need to release the tension on the parking brake. You can cage the spring brake with the "bolt" or simply chock the wheels that are on the ground and start the coach build air pressure and release the brake.

Reply #3
No, you will need to release the tension on the parking brake. You can cage the spring brake with the "bolt" or simply chock the wheels that are on the ground and start the coach build air...

Reply #4
Thanks jbeem and bbeane for your replies.  I was hoping to avoid the additional work of caging the spring brakes.  It is not that hard, but it is extra work I was hoping to avoid.

I would...

Reply #5
I would vote no on working on the brakes with the parking brake engaged.  If the parking brake is helping to keep the coach from rolling, it would be hard to remove the pins, and unsafe as well.  The coach may start to roll, even if you only do...

Reply #6
Just chock the wheels if you want more safety. You are going to have the wheel off, so that brake isn't holding anything.

Reply #7
Just chock the wheels if you want more safety. You are going to have the wheel off, so that brake isn't holding anything.
Yes, I will definitely chock all of the remaining wheels that are one...

Reply #8
Look at my post on installing the springs. By tapping the pin in about a 1/4" you will free it up. then use a deep socket that the inside diameter clears the pin and install a bolt and washer through the socket and just pull the pin out.

Reply #9
The Meritor maintenance manual suggests using a slide hammer to remove pins.  That is what they used at MOT when they did our brakes.

See page 6:  http://beamalarm.com/foretravel-links/PDF/brakes-maintenance-manual-mm4m.pdf

Reply #10
The Meritor maintenance manual suggests using a slide hammer to remove pins.  That is what they used at MOT when they did our brakes.

See page 6:  ...

Reply #11

See page 6:  ...

Reply #12
If you have a slide hammer, it is no doubt a nice way to remove them, but craneman's approach using a 3/8" bolt also works.  I used his approach for inspiration when I removed the pins to do...

• Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 06:30:05 pm by jbeem

Reply #13
When I removed my pins to replace the pads, I used a socket that was smaller than the diameter of the pin and a pry bar to push our the pins from behind. 

That can work, but there is a risk of...

• bbeane
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #14
I'm curious to see if the pins can be removed with the brake set.

Reply #15
I'm curious to see if the pins can be removed with the brake set.

Likely depends on whether the coach is being held in place by the brakes (would move if brake released) or not. 

Said another...

Reply #16
Likely depends on whether the coach is being held in place by the brakes (would move if brake released) or not. 

Said another way, whether the pins are under a side load or not loaded. 

Reply #17
Just how important are the helper Springs?  I like the idea, but my mechanic doesn't. I might need to have someone else install them.

Reply #18
Tom,

What is your mechanic's reasoning behind not wanting them?  The brake manufacturer came out with them to address exactly the thing that takes out the majority of the brakes on coaches.  The "lazy side" fails to release-- usually caused by...

Reply #19
He says the pads are supposed to touch the rotors, albeit gently.

Reply #20
Sure doesn't take much air pressure on the brake cans to overcome those small springs.

Reply #21
I cannot see any downside to using them other that they lighten your pocket by $20 per set.

I would not do the job just to install the springs, but if you are servicing the brakes, seems like installing them is low risk.

Reply #22
If I was doing a complete brake job, I would definitely put on the helper springs for the peace of mind.  However, if you move frequently, you don't need them.  Sitting for long periods is the reason the brake pins lockup.  Except in winter, I...

Reply #23
I just did all my pin's. Left the shop compressor hooked up to the coach (with drier on air line), chocked the coach, and did the front 1st, then the rear. I simply released the park brake. Didn't cage the rear can.
I took a simple piece of flat...

Reply #24
Once the wheels are off the ground...and removed, will that not remove any side load?

I hope to try this weekend and will report back.  Coach will definitely be safely blocked to prevent...