Skip to main content
Topic: DDEC (Read 750 times) previous topic - next topic

DDEC

Has anyone with the 6V92 DDEC II recently purchased an ECU or had one refurbished?  Been researching to see what I'm getting into with the 6V92 if I purchase one.  Called a couple shops and can't find support for the DDEC II.  Just wondering if anyone ran into this problem.   

Mike

Re: DDEC

Reply #2
ECM King in Santa Fe, TX, will rebuild your computer or core for a fee of $1000.  Diagnosis is free for all engines.
Rudy Legett
2003 U320 4010 ISM 450 hp
2001 U320 4220 ISM 450 hp
1995 U320 M11 400 hp
1990 Granvilla 300 hp 3208T
Aqua Hot Service Houston and Southeast Texas

Reply #3
The DDEC II ECU is very reliable. It's cooled by fuel running through it. Probably a good idea to keep the tank toward full or install a fuel cooler since our fuel tanks sit inboard and don't get any air while going down the road. Since the 6V-92TA runs all the supply and return fuel in the cylinder head (no exterior fuel lines), the fuel returning to the tank is hot and a low fuel tank is more than warm to the touch after driving all day in hot weather.

With SODS (some other diesels) the wiring is marginal and a short in the wiring or injector fries the ECU. Not the case with the DDEC ECUs. The 92 series was the first heavy duty diesel that was computer controlled. The famous 60 series was all electronic starting with the first one built as was a first in the industry.

I see a Texas company rebuilds them for $650.  Some burn custom EEPROMS also. Call around for used or rebuilt. A used should be fine as they are very reliable.

Here is a chip for increasing the power to as much as you want. FD ladder trucks typically run 500 hp, marine use up to 620 hp and on the race track, the sky is the limit. The radiator in our U300 is marginal for anything over 350  hp in summer so this would be the limiting factor. EPA won't like them for on the road use.
Detroit Diesel 6V92 MAGNUM EVO-Tech Heavy Duty Performance Chip

Several U300 Detroit owners have purchased a Pro-Link 9000 diagnostic tool. This allows over 40 readings and allows testing, fast idle, reading overall, trip or real time fuel mileage, gallons used since new, automatic or manual injector testing. Easy to use for anyone. Cheap if you search the ads on CR or Ebay or expensive if you can't wait. I have two, one for the garage and one in the coach. Under $200 average but I bought one with several cartridges for under $100. Works for Allison, Cummins, CAT, Meritor if you have the right cartridge.

Can't beat this price for a new DDEC II wiring harness:

Genuine Detroit Diesel DDEC II 23502686 6V-92 & 8V-92 Wiring Harness GR...

For years, every bus that I looked in Mexico had a 6V92TA with a DDEC II so travelers there should have a source if needed.

Some install a resistor in the boost sensor so the engine fuels immediately from a stop. This may give a puff of smoke but gets off the line much faster. Cure at: BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System: DDEC - engine slow accelleration

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #4
Ive wondered about this myself. Has anyone been stranded because the ecm went belly up?
92 Grand Villa
Silver 6v92
 side isle.
build# 3973

Reply #5
Pierce I ALWAYS enjoy your input.

Thanks you!
Frank & Connie Williams
1999 U320 '36
Build: 5466
MC: 18335

Reply #6
Ive wondered about this myself. Has anyone been stranded because the ecm went belly up?
Yes, one member lost theirs on the road in a Cummins I believe. Some good photos of ECU interiors showing the damage.

Tips and Pics

Great deal for a Cummins M11 ECU at $400: Tips and Pics

Common reasons for ECU failure: Common Reasons for Failure in Engine Control Modules - J Ball Electronics

So, watch for rodent damage in the ECU wiring, bag the ECU when washing the engine, keep engine clean and oil free around the ECU. watch for evidence of voltage spikes in the electrical system. Transient spikes are a leading cause in aircraft radio failures, check for chafing damage to the ECU wiring loom. And for a Detroit, keep the fuel temperature within specs.

Pierce
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #7
$400.00 core deposit. $1195.00 for ECM M-11
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #10
How did we get from DDECII to Cummins M11?
Why do you think you need a DDECII ECM, What problems are you having?
91 GV U300 Unihome 40' Build 3811
6V92TA Detroit

Reply #11
Stump,

I was just generalizing as anyone with an electronic engine could be faced with finding a shop to repair or replace their ECU.

I think he was thinking about carrying a spare and wanted to know what it would cost and where to find one. As you know, the failure rate for DDEC ECUs is extremely low so probably not worth spending a lot to carry a extra one around. Naturally, if one could be found for a couple three hundred $$, then it might be worth throwing one in with all the other belts and filters. But just replacing the ECU without finding the reason for the failure could be costly if it were something like a wiring harness fault. That's why I included the link to the complete 92 wiring set for $39. That's a deal even though it would probably never be used.

Pierce
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #12
Thanks all!

Yes, I was referring to having a spare for future.  Was told by a shop that remans them that the DDEC II components are becoming nonexistent and the remans out there are problematic.  Seems like this could be a huge problem a few years down the road; maybe not.  Has anyone actually replaced a DDEC II on a 6V92 with successful results? 

Mike 

Reply #13
Shops will tell you a lot of things. Some truckers have replaced their DDEC II with the IV.  Think you are worried over a small possibility. The ECU is mounted high in the middle of the engine so oil, water are not a possibility. The harness is heavy duty so not likely to short our, etc. Here is a supplier: Front Page - Detroit Diesel ECM

Pierce
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #14
Mike the chance you would ever have a issue with the ECM is probably about as good as hitting the powerball..
91 GV U300 Unihome 40' Build 3811
6V92TA Detroit