Skip to main content

Topic: 1985 Foretravel Travco Power Steering Pump (Read 288 times) previous topic - next topic

1985 Foretravel Travco Power Steering Pump
Does anyone know the front axle rating on a 1985 Foretravel Travco Oshkosh V-917 chassis Caterpillar engine?  Trying to help someone on Facebook find a replacement power steering pump.

Pump is Eaton, Part number of  pump E-5183-1 for axels 12,000...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

• Rudy
  • [*]
  • Commercial Member
Re: 1985 Foretravel Travco Power Steering Pump
Reply #1
John,  Read the max carry capacity of the steer tires.  Bet it is 12,000 lbs or less.

Reply #2
917 is 9 front 17 rear=917.  Whether the axles are higher rated?  They may well be.  There are numbers on the axles I assume

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
Try contacting the Redhead shop.

Reply #4
A replacement pump may be hard to find but you might find an inexpensive rebuild kit. I had a 1981 Foretravel Travco on an Oshkosh chassis and a 3208 and the pump was getting weak. I was going to rebuild the pump but sold the coach -- along with...

Reply #5
John could we get a picture of that pump? I have several that come off truck engines I bought used. One being a 3208 Cat engine.

Reply #6
Craneman, here is the picture.
John M.

Reply #7
I have 2 of those pumps, but they don't have the remote reservoir I will take a picture later and post it.

Reply #8
Craneman,
She should be able to still use her remote reservoir right?
John M.

Reply #9
These pumps are standard equipment on International and Ford diesel trucks 1979 to at least 1985. The reservoir can would be interchangeable. You need a puller and installer for the pulley. Never had a pump go bad. This one came on a used DT466...

Reply #10
Craneman,
Thanks, I'll pass the info on.
John M.

Reply #11
Hi Craneman,
Where are you located? The pump is for our rig and needs to go to TACOMA, WA where it's being worked on. How much is it? We have had terrible luck with rebuilding ours. Twice it failed upon return from 2 rebuilds. (First time it went...

Reply #12
I am pretty sure this pump is good. They can have it for shipping if it is worth it.

Reply #13
Craneman,
Is that the lower volume one?
Thank you for that!

Reply #14
The only information I have on the pump is that it came on a running engine at a truck junk yard. I bought the engine to rebuild and swap out on a weekend so as not to have any down time while I rebuilt the one in the truck. I am only going by...

Reply #15
Craneman,
What I gathered from her was that they have Eaton Pump Medel B Series 400 LV Low Volume pump.  In her original picture it looks like her pump is still mounted on the reservoir.  The series 400 is keyed the others are splined.  Hers has...

Reply #16
Mine are keyed. There is a filter in the reservoir that comes in a kit with 2 fiber washers and an O ring. As common as these were on OTR trucks, I am surprised that a reman, isn't available.

Reply #17
They are available in the link above and other places.  I say go with a rebuilt one.
John M.

Reply #18
Mine have the woodruff key, and my front axle on both trucks is 18,000 lbs. so not the one they need anyway.