Skip to main content

Topic: Proper “Step-Cover” Operation (Read 410 times) previous topic - next topic

Proper “Step-Cover” Operation
Is it expected that the pneumatic step-cover operation is dependent upon starting the engine and building the brake system pressure?

Generally, when I return to the stored coach (1 or 2 days) the step-cover does not operate until the engine has...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

• jor
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: Proper “Step-Cover” Operation
Reply #1
The step needs about 70 psi (I think) to operate. Most of our air systems bleed down over time and the step quits. It's no big deal. There is even a federal standard for a bleed down time. You can make a creer out of chasing air leaks on these...

Reply #2
I used the aux air compressor to close the step cover when parked and low on air pressure.

Reply #3
When parked for storage and no air pressure, I just push the step up and down to keep the water from collecting in step

Reply #4
Thanks to both.

John- I am inferring from your post that there is a way to turn the auxiliary pump on and off.  Am I correct?

I was under the impression the auxiliary pump was operated by a pressure switch which basically automatically served the ...

• MarkC
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #5
I believe that you are correct on the pressure switch for the auxiliary compressor.  I added an on/off switch to prevent the compressor from cycling when I didn't want it to.

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
On mine if you turn off the HWH at the panel the aux compressor does not come on.

Reply #7
I always closed the step cover at night
When I came front in the morning I would turn on the level system, select the step cover to open. Press any raise button. The compressor would come on to start to raise the coach but the step cover would...

• Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 10:35:05 pm by John Duld

Reply #8
Thank you John. 

I was wondering if that would be the type of thing I would need to know.  I haven't owned it very long and have only used it overnight on my trip back home after buying it.  I am going to try that next time I overnight.

Thanks again.

Reply #9
More info on how the step works:

How inside step slide and outside step operate

Lots of good info on all the systems here:

Foretravel Motorhome technical help and information links

And also here:

start [ForeForums Foretravel Motorcoach Wiki]

Reply #10
 I have a switch, which has been added. I love it.At night I can turn the compressor off, When I need air I just turn it on.Remember the compressor keeps the air bladder on the slide full. If it's going to rain I just leave the compressor on.
Safe...

Reply #11
If your 2001 air system is like my 2002 than the aux compressor will not operate the air steps.  They are separated by check valves to prevent this.  The aux compressor only operates the HWH leveling system and the slide seals and does not fill...

Reply #12
Thank you JBeem.

That is a switch I hoped to have. 

Reply #13
That is a switch I hoped to have.
If you don't have it, then consider adding that feature yourself.  First, you must clearly understand the air system in its present configuration.  Then, if...

Reply #14
The simplest way to have your steps run on both the engine and aux compressor is to install a tee in the airline going to the step cover and another tee in the airline going to the aux air tank (assuming your year has one) and connect the two...

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #15
Where is the switch for turning on the air compressor

Reply #16
It doesn't come with one.  The aux compressor uses a pressure switch to turn on and off.  You can install a switch so that it doesn't come on when you don't want it to, like in the middle of the night.  From 2002 and on, there is a switch that...

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #17
Thanks I was wondering how it worked. Could the steps be hooked up to the air leveling tank.

Reply #18
Yes, see my reply #14 in this thread.

Reply #19
The simplest way to have your steps run on both the engine and aux compressor is to install a tee in the airline going to the step cover and another tee in the airline going to the aux air tank...

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #20
What I meant could you disconnect the step line from were it is now and just hook up to the auxiliary air system.

Reply #21
You could I guess except the step well cover and the step are serial daisy chained together (if you broke the serial  daisy chaining of the step well cover and the step you could), but what happens when you are driving and the aux isn't running...

Reply #22
One additional benefit is that the main air line that supplies the stepwell cover also supplies the step (serial daisy chained), so you could set it up so that the step  retract even if there isn't air in the brake air tanks.  You would need to...