Skip to main content
Topic: Proper “Step-Cover” Operation (Read 689 times) previous topic - next topic

Proper “Step-Cover” Operation

Is it expected that the pneumatic step-cover operation is dependent upon starting the engine and building the brake system pressure?

Generally, when I return to the stored coach (1 or 2 days) the step-cover does not operate until the engine has been started.

I assume this could be expected but I am currently looking into the air systems, as I make an effort to quantify which systems of my new/old coach need's my attention first. 

Maybe the functionality of the step is a "barometer" as to the air system's health? 

Thank you.

-FT
2001 U270- 34'
with Aqua-hot
Travel Safely
Have Fun!!

Re: Proper “Step-Cover” Operation

Reply #1
The step needs about 70 psi (I think) to operate. Most of our air systems bleed down over time and the step quits. It's no big deal. There is even a federal standard for a bleed down time. You can make a creer out of chasing air leaks on these things.
jor

Reply #2
I used the aux air compressor to close the step cover when parked and low on air pressure.
John Duld
1995 U320C SE 40'

Reply #3
When parked for storage and no air pressure, I just push the step up and down to keep the water from collecting in step
1998 U320 40'
2005 GMC Yukon
MC# 17609

Reply #4
Thanks to both.

John- I am inferring from your post that there is a way to turn the auxiliary pump on and off.  Am I correct?

I was under the impression the auxiliary pump was operated by a pressure switch which basically automatically served the  leveling system.

Any additional basic information on the auxiliary pump's function and purpose would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.
2001 U270- 34'
with Aqua-hot
Travel Safely
Have Fun!!

Reply #5
I believe that you are correct on the pressure switch for the auxiliary compressor.  I added an on/off switch to prevent the compressor from cycling when I didn't want it to.
Mark & Bev
2001 U295 36'
Cummins ISC 8.3 350HP
Build #5802
Jeep Wrangler Toad

Reply #6
On mine if you turn off the HWH at the panel the aux compressor does not come on.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #7
I always closed the step cover at night
When I came front in the morning I would turn on the level system, select the step cover to open. Press any raise button. The compressor would come on to start to raise the coach but the step cover would open first. Then shut off the HWH system.
John Duld
1995 U320C SE 40'

Reply #8
Thank you John. 

I was wondering if that would be the type of thing I would need to know.  I haven't owned it very long and have only used it overnight on my trip back home after buying it.  I am going to try that next time I overnight.

Thanks again.
2001 U270- 34'
with Aqua-hot
Travel Safely
Have Fun!!

Reply #9
More info on how the step works:

How inside step slide and outside step operate

Lots of good info on all the systems here:

Foretravel Motorhome technical help and information links

And also here:

start [ForeForums Foretravel Motorcoach Wiki]
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #10
 I have a switch, which has been added. I love it.At night I can turn the compressor off, When I need air I just turn it on.Remember the compressor keeps the air bladder on the slide full. If it's going to rain I just leave the compressor on.
Safe Travels
Dave
2001 U320 40ft
Build #5867
2003 Tracker
VE7DOD

Reply #11
If your 2001 air system is like my 2002 than the aux compressor will not operate the air steps.  They are separated by check valves to prevent this.  The aux compressor only operates the HWH leveling system and the slide seals and does not fill the brake air tanks from which the step cover gets air.  On my 2002, I can fill the brake tanks with a switch in the dash and therefore indirectly work the step cover, but I believe 2002 was the first year they put this in.  Check your air schematics that came with the Foretravel manual to be sure.
2002 36' U270 Foretravel

Reply #12
Thank you JBeem.

That is a switch I hoped to have. 

2001 U270- 34'
with Aqua-hot
Travel Safely
Have Fun!!

Reply #13
If you don't have it, then consider adding that feature yourself.  First, you must clearly understand the air system in its present configuration.  Then, if it lacks a particular function, figure out how to safely modify the system to meet your needs.  Do try to avoid messing with the air brake support lines/valves/tanks - they are too important to screw up.  But, there are probably other air pressure sources on your coach that might be tapped to supply air to the steps when the engine is off.
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #14
The simplest way to have your steps run on both the engine and aux compressor is to install a tee in the airline going to the step cover and another tee in the airline going to the aux air tank (assuming your year has one) and connect the two tees with an airline that has a check valve in that airline between the two tees arranged in such a way that air only goes to the step cover from the aux compressor and air does no go back to the aux compressor.  That way you still isolate the brake air system from the auxiliary air system.  I would suggest using the same check valves that are used around the coach a Haldex KN23080.
2002 36' U270 Foretravel

Reply #15
Where is the switch for turning on the air compressor
Peter and Frieda Morin
1999 36ft. U320 Foretravel
Build # 5436
1998 Suzuki Sidekick Sport

Reply #16
It doesn't come with one.  The aux compressor uses a pressure switch to turn on and off.  You can install a switch so that it doesn't come on when you don't want it to, like in the middle of the night.  From 2002 and on, there is a switch that opens a valve so that the aux compressor can be used to fill the brake air tanks too. It isn't recommended to leave this on as it will wear out the compressor quickly.
2002 36' U270 Foretravel

Reply #17
Thanks I was wondering how it worked. Could the steps be hooked up to the air leveling tank.
Peter and Frieda Morin
Build # 5436

Reply #18
Yes, see my reply #14 in this thread.
2002 36' U270 Foretravel

Reply #19
The simplest way to have your steps run on both the engine and aux compressor is to install a tee in the airline going to the step cover and another tee in the airline going to the aux air tank (assuming your year has one) and connect the two tees with an airline that has a check valve in that airline between the two tees arranged in such a way that air only goes to the step cover from the aux compressor and air does no go back to the aux compressor.  That way you still isolate the brake air system from the auxiliary air system.  I would suggest using the same check valves that are used around the coach a Haldex KN23080.
One addition to my quote above is that you would need to add an additional check valve on the air line going to the step cover from the brake air tank before the tee making sure to install allowing air to only go from brake air tank to step well cover solenoid.  If you didn't have this, the aux air compressor would back feed into the brake air tanks and would wear out the aux compressor.  In other words you will need two check valves in order to keep the two systems separate resulting in an automatic semi-separate system for the step well cover similar to what the HWH system has..  A way to picture this is to think of the two airlines running parallel to each other with a line connecting the two lines like the capital letter "H" with a check valve where the horizontal line connects the two parallel lines of the "H" and a check valve on one of the vertical lines (in this case the air line from brake tank) before the horizontal line of the "H"  connects the parallel lines of the "H" making sure the check valves allow air to go to the step well solenoid but not back to the two separate air tanks.  That probably clear as mud.  If I could would draw a picture and put it on here, I would, but it would be a very convoluted process at this time to do so.
2002 36' U270 Foretravel

Reply #20
What I meant could you disconnect the step line from were it is now and just hook up to the auxiliary air system.
Peter and Frieda Morin
Build # 5436

Reply #21
You could I guess except the step well cover and the step are serial daisy chained together (if you broke the serial  daisy chaining of the step well cover and the step you could), but what happens when you are driving and the aux isn't running or stops working.  Better to add the aux into the system for redundancy.  I wouldn't be hard and you would need only a little bit of air line, two tees and two check valves.  I added a very sloppily and hastily done diagram to make it  a little more clear than mud.
2002 36' U270 Foretravel

Reply #22
One additional benefit is that the main air line that supplies the stepwell cover also supplies the step (serial daisy chained), so you could set it up so that the step  retract even if there isn't air in the brake air tanks.  You would need to set up the step two retract on a switch as some have written about in this forum.
2002 36' U270 Foretravel