Skip to main content
Topic: Refrigerator problem on propane (Read 452 times) previous topic - next topic

Refrigerator problem on propane

Can you light propane refrigerator manually?If so how without an explosion. I have propane to the unit and igniter try's to light but not getting spark.. I hate to run the generator 24 hrs to refrigerate.. Plan to find a place from Wetheford Tx on west for repair. Leaving Sunday morning for Az and nothing here open Saturday for parts. Have frozen meat and starting tomorrow it needs to work. If I have to I will leave here with generator running just hate to run it for days if I can get around it.
Dub McBride 1996 270

Re: Refrigerator problem on propane

Reply #1
Try lighting it with a match when you know the spark isn't occurring when it should.
Go gas...... ...go boom. Be careful.

Reply #2
One problem you may run into is the igniter is also the sensor for whether there is a flame.  If the eboard does not sense a flame it will shut off the propane.  Still you could try by having someone switch it to propane while you stand outside with a long match or BBQ lighter.
2002 36' U270 Foretravel

Reply #3
Loose connection?
Grounded sparker thingy?
Well its allright, even if your old and grey.
Well its allright, you still got something to say

'93 U225
Build 4337
'14 CRV Toad

Reply #4
I'm going to do some clean up and connection checking tomorrow.. Bus is probably not level as I have pulled it out of the barn for the night.. Will put it back on concrete tomorrow.. Jumping the gun asking my question now but I'm assuming the worst as in needing parts and there are none available here tomorrow and leaving Sunday one way or the other.Thermocouple, igniter, maybe a board. Not the original unit so it's not very old. Just want to get it lit until I can get to parts somewhere in Texas on I20.
Dub McBride 1996 270

Reply #5
Look up JC refrigeration LLC at 260-7684067 or go to website. I went with the all electric unit and no more lp and the trouble that comes with it. No more having to be level it works fantastic.
Sagre
Steven Green
1997 U-320

Reply #6
Dub get a can of compressed air and clean out area around ignitor. Rust will trickle down from flue pipe. Also I think you can regal ignitor.
1995 U320 40', 2013 chevy sonic toad, my real love are corvettes have owned 30

Reply #7
I meant flue pipe and it should say re gap ignitor.
1995 U320 40', 2013 chevy sonic toad, my real love are corvettes have owned 30

Reply #8
Dub
Remove the cover from the burner tube and make sure its free of rust or trash. Blow it out or brush it clean with a small brush, old tooth brush will work if thats all you have. The igniter must be clean and close enough to the tube to enable a spark to jump across and also it must be in or close enough to the flame once lit to keep the gas valve on.

As stated above ........ with the cover removed, use a lighter while the DW turns the fridge on and see if it will light and stay on.

It would help to know more info to be able to help. Do yo hear the "click" of the igniter? Or the "click" of the gas valve?

Oh....... and make sure your gas valve is "on" !!!  :o
;D

Justin & Cathy Byrd
1995 U280 "Old Faithful"
36' Build #4673
C8.3 Cummins
Allison MD3060R 6 speed - retarder
Powertech 10KW  4cyl Kubota

Reply #9
There are 2 things you can do. First, pull the igniter wire off of the sparker and hold it to a ground with insulated needle nose pliers to see if it sparks. If not, it's the little white box that makes the spark. If it does then pull the sparker out and file it to a shiney bright with a nail file and re-install it close enough to the burner to make a spark. This is AC electricity so be careful.

If you need to, remove the face plate and burner cover plate and light it with a barbecue lighter. Not much gas comes out so no boom. If it's not sparking, it's not the thermocoupler.
1994 U280, Build 4490
Deming, NM.

Reply #10
Does the hot water work on propane?Are you sure all the air is out of the line and you have propane.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #11
Can you light propane refrigerator manually?If so how without an explosion. I have propane to the unit and igniter try's to light but not getting spark.
Has propane, no spark.
1994 U280, Build 4490
Deming, NM.

Reply #12

I jumpered the propane valve to manually turn it on, lit the flame with a kitchen match and after the thermocouple warmed up removed my jumper.  YOu can turn the flame off with the valve, if the flame goes out the thermocouple will close the propane valve.

I have the new ignitor module in my dresser drawer, but this isn't a mission critical item and the Siata is.
1992 Foretravel Grand Villa
U225 SBID Build No. 4134
1986 Rockwood Driftwood
1968 S.I.A.T.A. Spring
1962 Studebaker Lark
1986 Honda VF700C
1983 Honda VF750C
Charlie, the Dog was broken out of jail 24 Oct 2023
N1RPN
AA1OH (H)e who must be obeyed.

Reply #13
Dub,

Do a PROPER burner area tuneup, not a "flat rate job" like blowing it out without disassembling.  This requires no parts and only a few, common tools.

It may be something as simple as a flake of rust shorting between the ignitor and burner tube.

Turn off refrigerator.

Light sharp raps on the flue to loosen any rust flakes that are about to fall into the burner area.

Remove the cover over the burner area.

Remove the burner tube and clean it out.  If the slots are rusted enough to change the shape of the openings, replace-- not expensive.

Remove and clean the ignitior (sand paper usually needed).

Remove the propane jet and clean in alcohol. Reinstall.

Reinstall burner tube and ignitor and set gap to spec (easy to bend the tip of the ignitior). Make sure the ignitior is over the center of the flame area.

Turn it on before putting the burner area cover back on and observe how far into the "run" cycle you get.

Though I have not looked, I am sure there are U-tube videos of this.

If it still doesn't work, proceed with troubleshooting knowing the basics are covered.

Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #14
Dub,

Remove and clean the ignitior (sand paper usually needed).

Reinstall burner tube and ignitor and set gap to spec (easy to bend the tip of the ignitior). Make sure the ignitior is over the center of the flame area.

And that's where my problem came into focus.  there was no sense in replacing the ignition module without knowing why it failed in the first place.  My best guess is the loose spark electrode.  All I need is a new electrode or one drop of water glass.  At the time I needed off-grid refrigeration for a couple of days.
U225 SBID Build No. 4134
1986 Rockwood Driftwood
1968 S.I.A.T.A. Spring
1962 Studebaker Lark
1986 Honda VF700C
1983 Honda VF750C
N1RPN

Reply #15
Never had a lick of trouble with 2 of these units so it is my turn.. Getting started thanks
Dub McBride 1996 270

Reply #16
Never had a lick of trouble with 2 of these units so it is my turn.. Getting started thanks
On the Norcold we had in the Rockwood, I ended up replacing the Norcold board with a Dinosaur electronics board.  In between I powered the solenoid valve directly with 12VDC and trusted the flame to stay lit.  There really isn't enough propane flow to be that dangerous if the flame goes out.
U225 SBID Build No. 4134
1986 Rockwood Driftwood
1968 S.I.A.T.A. Spring
1962 Studebaker Lark
1986 Honda VF700C
1983 Honda VF750C
N1RPN

Reply #17
Did my clean up with air and sand paper still no lite.. Ran fridge for an hour on 120 then turned it off.. Then it fired right up on gas.. Blasted wonderment.. Go figure.
Dub McBride 1996 270

Reply #18
Dinasour Boards work great, I have used these boards on two different units. They have a guarantee and are very easy to install.
Safe Travels
Dave
2001 U320 40ft
Build #5867
2003 Tracker
VE7DOD

Reply #19
Thanks for pointers.. anyone else that has propane issue may try my "fix".
Dub McBride 1996 270

Reply #20
Did my clean up with air and sand paper still no lite.. Ran fridge for an hour on 120 then turned it off.. Then it fired right up on gas.. Blasted wonderment.. Go figure.

And, we think women are mysterious.

;)
Well its allright, even if your old and grey.
Well its allright, you still got something to say

'93 U225
Build 4337
'14 CRV Toad